Hi-Point... REALLY?

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

Verticoli

Personal philosophy? Clothing optional.
Jun 10, 2012
Fl's west coast
8 jams and 6 ftfires in 200 rds is a problem. A couple more things; grip. Hold that little gun tightly! Important stuff 'cause there's a lot going on when that small a shell cycles the action. A stable base is a must. The other thing is the extractor may need to be tuned. The extractor does not extract in a blow back .22, it's a pivot for the ejecting shell and is often problematic. The only tiime it extracts is when hand cycling.

OK, try the grip and Rem Gold Bullets and see what happens.

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
Verticoli said:
8 jams and 6 ftfires in 200 rds is a problem. A couple more things; grip. Hold that little gun tightly! Important stuff 'cause there's a lot going on when that small a shell cycles the action. A stable base is a must. The other thing is the extractor may need to be tuned. The extractor does not extract in a blow back .22, it's a pivot for the ejecting shell and is often problematic. The only tiime it extracts is when hand cycling.

OK, try the grip and Rem Gold Bullets and see what happens.

Thanks Verticoli , I pland on getting some Federal, then when my son gets some time I will go back out and we will play with it. My son lives in the country so I can shoot there. I am taking notes guys thanks. Need to get some more 9mm too so I can shoot the "tank" They should have called the T9 for Tank. ;D

Northern_Son

Hunter
Jun 8, 2012
The Heart of Ohio
My Walther P22 seems to like the bulk federal 36 grn copper hollow point. I buy the 550 size at the Fin when they are on sale. The Walther has swallowed at least 500 of them to date with so few issues that I can't even recall the specifics.

I hope the SR22 likes them.

mthanded

Scout
Jun 8, 2012
Middle of Iowa
So...I guess we won't see this in the "want to sell" area? I would like to shoot the carbine. I here they are fun and seem to be reliable as well.

The carbines are really fun and surprisingly accurate as well. I like the fact that you can interchange mags with the C9 and the carbine and there are several after market stocks for the carbine. I paid less than $175. with hologram sight and everyone likes to shoot that the best.

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
Here is a pic on the C9 I purchased.

c9.jpg

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
Re: Hi-Point... REALLY?

Nice picture. Now all you need is boxes of ammo.

RICHGCOOP
Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
RugerRon60 said:
Verticoli said:
Glad the new HP is working for you. On a side note, I'd not shoot those T-Bolt .22s as they're known to leave lead in the barrel. And I'd clean the firing chamber and make sure a shell drops in easy.

I cleaned it up good last night, everybody seems to like the WalMart Federal Bulk, maybe I will try them. But it acted the same with the Winchester 36g HP high velocity. I will yank the slide and check how well a shell drops in. Thanks.

Shells dropped good, so I did some thinking. I don't know if anyone remembered a while back I had issue with mag extensions lining up with the floor plate and ruger sent me new mag floor plates and they lined up great. Problem solved. Called Ruger after this "jamming" session and they agreed to swap out mags. I think it's pretty safe to say problem solved. Only got to run another 100 rounds of Remington Thunderbolts through but no jams and 1 FTFire (ammo idoubtno doupt). I still have 300 Thunderbolts left then I will try Federals and if they ok works I'll switch to them. Starting to really get happy here... :p

Sarge

Woodsman
Jun 15, 2012
Florida
My cousin out west has a Hi-Point in .45ACP and really likes it. He says it has never jammed on him and is very accurate.

millsriver

Hunter
Jun 21, 2012
North Carolina
I inquired about the HP's at my LGS a few months ago. They advised that they stopped selling them as it got to be too much admin sending them back in for one thing or another. It may also have had something to do with the low margin, but that never came up in the conversation. I would like to try one out and will keep looking around. Might be a good "fishing" carry.

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
Sarge said:
My cousin out west has a Hi-Point in .45ACP and really likes it. He says it has never jammed on him and is very accurate.

Thats the way my Hi-Point C9 has been going and it's still fun shooting. Plus in a SD situation if you run out of ammo you can throw it at the BG and be almost as deadly.

redmond

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Western WA
My Son-in-Law has the 9mm Carbine and it is a very dependable rifle. No jams, reasonably accurate, not much recoil.

I only have 2 gripes:
  • Don't like the bolt handle on the left side
  • It is really UGLY...

But that's just me. He likes it a lot.

redden68

Hunter
Jun 30, 2012
Austin, TX
I had a HiPoint in 45 for a while. Impulse buy at a pawn shop. I'm sure I paid too much for it. It shot fine, no problems at all. Sold it because I was ashamed to bring it out at the range, especially after buying my first 1911. :)

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
My brother has a high point and shoots the heck out of it and speaks highly of it. One thing I have learned is the guy behind the counter of a firearm store may not be the most knowledgeable person to talk about the quality of guns. I go into one of my LGS and always there will be some new shooter looking for a ccw. Of course they take the newbie directly to the Kimbers and pitch it hard.
The other day, a friend and myself were looking at 22's. We got on the conversation about the Phoenix. (I have two of them, and they are terrific shooters). My friend asked the guy behind the counter to see one. He made a face like someone had just asked him to sleep with his wife. My friend asked him what was wrong? Don't like the Phoenix? He just shook his head no. I then asked him if had ever shot one. Of course he had not! In fact he did not even have a clue about any knowledge of the gun what so ever. I just laughed at him and said, Obvious it is the price that turns you off, we left the store and went to another shop. You would have to be a fool to buy from a guy like that.

Of course not all shops are like this or have staff like the above. The other shop I go to, is just the opposite, very knowledgeable staff, very honest group of folks.

redden68

Hunter
Jun 30, 2012
Austin, TX
davevabch said:
The other day, a friend and myself were looking at 22's. We got on the conversation about the Phoenix. (I have two of them, and they are terrific shooters). My friend asked the guy behind the counter to see one. He made a face like someone had just asked him to sleep with his wife. My friend asked him what was wrong? Don't like the Phoenix? He just shook his head no. I then asked him if had ever shot one. Of course he had not! In fact he did not even have a clue about any knowledge of the gun what so ever. I just laughed at him and said, Obvious it is the price that turns you off, we left the store and went to another shop. You would have to be a fool to buy from a guy like that.

Of course not all shops are like this or have staff like the above. The other shop I go to, is just the opposite, very knowledgeable staff, very honest group of folks.

Not enough markup?

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
Just messing around last night and though it would be fun to compare size with my Hi-Point c9 to mt SR9c. I am not making a comparison in quality or performance just size. Fully loaded with the SR9c 17+1 and the Hi-Point with 8+0 there is 1/4 oz in weight difference with the SR being lighter with over double the rounds in it. The Hi-Point is much wider of course. I use the Hi-Point as a vault gun for my truck. Hi-Point is still 100% in shooting, bout 200 rounds now. For a $139.00 that Hi-Point serves it's purpose well as a backup truck piece.

c9vs9c.JPG

Mods, this is only one image showing multiple images. I hope this is allowed. If not just delete the post please with my apologies.

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Hi-Point... REALLY?

I bought a used S&W 5906 for $350 for a truck gun. Bud's still has some under the Century International Ams handguns link because they're foreign agency imports. 15+1 and stainless steel. It has obviously spent a lot of time in a holster but appears to almost never have been fired. I'm about to get another because my father sort of "appropriated" it last time I was in Dallas. I think the Hi Point is a fine toolbox type gun but for very little more money you can find some very nice alternatives.

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
Re: Hi-Point... REALLY?

yz9890 said:
I bought a used S&W 5906 for $350 for a truck gun. Bud's still has some under the Century International Ams handguns link because they're foreign agency imports. 15+1 and stainless steel. It has obviously spent a lot of time in a holster but appears to almost never have been fired. I'm about to get another because my father sort of "appropriated" it last time I was in Dallas. I think the Hi Point is a fine toolbox type gun but for very little more money you can find some very nice alternatives.

I agree they're other good alternatives. I won't put $350.00 in a truck/toolbox gun. For $49.00 more you could have the Ruger SR9c NIB. The Hi-Point c9 is actually a nice shooter for $139.00 and the mother-ship is 45 minutes from my home for warranty if needed. No regrets on this purchase and would purchase another one if I had use for it. I would rather buy new but most definitely would buy used if the deal is right.