Hi-Point... REALLY?

American Revival Apparel Company

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
Ok can't believe I am entertaining this thought. Since I got the Bulldog car vault I am thinking that when I know I have to go places I can't carry that I would feel better have a less expensive pistol left in the car vault. Hi-point (I know I know) has a .380 for $135.00. On that note if I can get it to feel reliable, that it could make a good vault gun when I go to such places. Lifetime warranty and I would not have to ship it if need warranty they are made 45 minutes from where I live. I read the posts on them, seems some have great success and some are complete failures. So I am thinking, could I make this a reliable enough for temporary use for my vault gun. Or is my thinking just of a crazed gun enthusiast having to buy another gun on a small budget to satisfy his needs. No way can I afford my SR9c right now, thinking this may quench my thirst for a spell.

3Coyotes

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Effington, Ohio
Strangely enough, one of our teachers has a Hi Point .380 and really likes it.

No, she's not a gun enthusiast with impeccable taste, but it does what she wants it to do... Go bang when the trigger is pulled and kinda hit what you're aiming at. Anything more than that is all gravy.

Northern_Son

Hunter
Jun 8, 2012
The Heart of Ohio
I fired a High Point C9 the other day. It funtioned 100% with FMJ rounds and the trigger wasn't as bad as I thought. No worse than a SIGMA. I was able to hit stationary clay targets easily at 25 feet.

I say go for it. If you hate it you can always sell it to someone (like a fellow forum member who lives close) ::) for $100.00 and not be out too much.

M

mukwah

Go for it!! Microwave gratification does quinch the thirst for a while!! 8)

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
Got home after work and instantly got on the Fin Feather Fur site and they had the C9 on sale for $139.00 regular $149.00. My wife walks into the room and said you’re on the Fin site I was just thinking about going there. (She is looking for pink camo's... don't ask...) I said sure and picked one up. HA! It’s big, going to shoot it tonight. There is a small rattle to it, Hi-Point forum said it's a safe feature in case you drop it. Like a pendulum sort of safety. There was a customer beside me at the Fin said he bought one a few years ago, said he has 4000 rounds down field and works good, he called it a work horse. So for a $139.00 if it shoots decent I will be happy (until I can get my SR9c). Range report tomorrow.

M

mukwah

Looking forward to that range report (and maybe some pics)! 8)

mthanded

Scout
Jun 8, 2012
Middle of Iowa
I've got the C9 and the carbine and both work flawlessly every time. My Ruger P95 doesn't like all the reloads that I shoot but both the C9 and carbine will take anything I put in it. The mags are interchangeable and for the money, cheap to shoot and cheap to buy, they do the job. I would never carry the C9 for personal protection but that's not what I bought it for. I bought it to have in the boat and if it goes into the drink for some reason, I won't lose any sleep over it.

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
Re: Hi-Point... REALLY?

The high point will also double as an Anchor. LOL
Hey whole lot of gun for the money.

RICHGCOOP

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
Re: Hi-Point... REALLY?

RICHGCOOP said:
The high point will also double as an Anchor. LOL
Hey whole lot of gun for the money.

RICHGCOOP

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Haha I was thinking if it ever failed to fire I could always beat them with it. It's big and the grips looks like cheap plastic, but I knew all that going into it so it's all good as long as it goes bang. I hear it may be a beast to break as well. We'll see tonight.

Verticoli

Personal philosophy? Clothing optional.
Jun 10, 2012
Fl's west coast
A friend of mine bought one, then went back to buy one of each caliber. The LGS told him not to buy them all at once, but buy one evry 2 weeks otherwise it will raise red flags. I found out that when a Florida GS sell multiple guns they have to notify the sheriff dept.

Anyway, he like his HPs and thinks they're great values.

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Hi-Point... REALLY?

while a moped can sometimes be embarrassing to ride, it'll still get you from A to B for 10 times less money than the cheapest Harley.

that being said. I'd look around for a used gun or spend another $100.

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
Put 100 rounds of Blazer Brass down field with NO issues. I was totally impressed. Ok I need to work on the accuracy as I would say at 20 feet I was about 4 inch pattern with it. It is shooting a little high and to the right but it's adjustable. This wasn't for accuracy this time anyways, I just wanted to put some rounds through it. I was shooting with my son 50/50 on the 100 rounds. He is an awesome shot but then he is used to a XD40 and went through the police academy. It is a very smooth shooter but with all the weight it's not surprising. I read on the Hi-Point forum these C9's seem to need a break in period of a few hundred round due to the mag isn't the best quality, they said to fill the mag and let it set for a few weeks. Well I couldn't wait and still had no issues with it. If the next few hundred rounds go like the first 100 did, I would have no issues keeping this as a spare HD pistol. It is a fun gun, decent shooter for the money IMHO. As was mentioned I am pleasantly surprised and would buy another one. I did forget the pic's but I will get some on the first of the week.

I got the SR22PB out right after that and wow I felt like I had a toy in my hand. The 200 rounds (100 Remington Thunderbolts and 100 Winchester 36g HP HV) weren't so pleasant, 8 jams, 6 FTFire's. But it's a rim fire and as you all most likely know I haven't had the best relationship with that pistol. But I am standing behind it and still like it.

3Coyotes

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Effington, Ohio
RR, I'm really happy for you. This isn't the first good Hi-Point story I've heard so I kind of expected the range report you had.
By today's standards it may seem to have some weight issues, but it should go bang every time. Not a bad trade-off for the money.

A side note: The one I handled had noticably different sights. If yours had the same sights (you'd know), did you find them helpful or distracting?

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
3Coyotes said:
RR, I'm really happy for you. This isn't the first good Hi-Point story I've heard so I kind of expected the range report you had.
By today's standards it may seem to have some weight issues, but it should go bang every time. Not a bad trade-off for the money.

A side note: The one I handled had noticably different sights. If yours had the same sights (you'd know), did you find them helpful or distracting?

The back ajustable site has 2 oarnge dots and the front site is not a dot but a site that is just painted yellow. Quite colorful but I wasn't distracted by it but I see how some people may be, but I didn't really find it helpful either. 3 whites dots IMO is all that needed. I have a Taurus Judge SS 3" Magnum that has the optic sites, that would be my preference is sights.

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
Northern_Son said:
So...I guess we won't see this in the "want to sell" area? :) I would like to shoot the carbine. I here they are fun and seem to be reliable as well.

Nope, to my surprise it's a keeper. My wife labeled it "The big ugly one" lol but For $139.00 well worth the money. Plus it's my first 9mm. I have the small Bulldog car vault and it fits so it is serving it's purpose. For those of you who miss its "purpose" post, I wanted a cheap car vault gun for when I have to go places I can't carry. Working for a hospital it happens often when I have to go to our off campus offices. I work in IT.

Verticoli

Personal philosophy? Clothing optional.
Jun 10, 2012
Fl's west coast
Glad the new HP is working for you. On a side note, I'd not shoot those T-Bolt .22s as they're known to leave lead in the barrel. And I'd clean the firing chamber and make sure a shell drops in easy.

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
Verticoli said:
Glad the new HP is working for you. On a side note, I'd not shoot those T-Bolt .22s as they're known to leave lead in the barrel. And I'd clean the firing chamber and make sure a shell drops in easy.

I cleaned it up good last night, everybody seems to like the WalMart Federal Bulk, maybe I will try them. But it acted the same with the Winchester 36g HP high velocity. I will yank the slide and check how well a shell drops in. Thanks.