"Get home" weapon

Faktory 47

Bigigloopt2

Meme boojahideen
Kalash Klub
Oct 31, 2019
Earth
Full size pistol and like 3-4 mags. I want to be completely inconspicuous and extradite myself from the situation. Rifles are for fighting long term, pistols are for getting home to your rifle.

Reactions: Miles

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
Full size pistol and like 3-4 mags. I want to be completely inconspicuous and extradite myself from the situation. Rifles are for fighting long term, pistols are for getting home to your rifle.

That’s one way of thinking......ain’t mine, but it’s A Way.

I wanted the most effective weapon at my disposal that I can. I always have a handgun and spare mags on my person....more stored securely in my vehicle...but it’s wise to augment when you can. A long gun securely locked and stored in my vehicle is completely inconspicuous.

You will only be able to fight with that gun you stored at home IF you can get home. You don’t know what you’ll have to go through to get there. You don’t know that you’ll get home and that your home will still be intact, or accessible.

I have never heard of a person stating AFTER THE FACT that while they were in the shit they felt like they were overgunned.

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
Folks always bitch about overpenetration, but rarely do folks seem to worry about underpenetration.

In a “get home” weapon especially, I’m more worried about the ability to punch through various types of glass/polycarbonate, vehicles and other types of hard cover. That’s why my “carry” 5.56 ammo is Hornady TAP 70grn GMX Barrier Penetrator. It’s my go-to ammo for all types of SD situations.

Grunk

Why leave anything here?
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
xkbn;zdfbmzd
Zip code
That’s one way of thinking......ain’t mine, but it’s A Way.

I wanted the most effective weapon at my disposal that I can. I always have a handgun and spare mags on my person....more stored securely in my vehicle...but it’s wise to augment when you can. A long gun securely locked and stored in my vehicle is completely inconspicuous.

You will only be able to fight with that gun you stored at home IF you can get home. You don’t know what you’ll have to go through to get there. You don’t know that you’ll get home and that your home will still be intact, or accessible.

I have never heard of a person stating AFTER THE FACT that while they were in the shit they felt like they were overgunned.
If we are talking about a situation where I'm having to abandon my vehicle & get home overland, this makes the most sense to me. If I'm not having to abandon my vehicle, I won't be shooting anyway, I'll be driving.

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
If we are talking about a situation where I'm having to abandon my vehicle & get home overland, this makes the most sense to me. If I'm not having to abandon my vehicle, I won't be shooting anyway, I'll be driving.

You don’t know when that vehicle will be forced to stop. You don’t know what that “overland” terrain will be. Be Prepared.

Grunk

Why leave anything here?
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 31, 2018
xkbn;zdfbmzd
Zip code
You don’t know when that vehicle will be forced to stop. You don’t know what that “overland” terrain will be. Be Prepared.
I agree. that's why I keep a long gun in the truck. Was just confused by the folks saying no long gun to "blend in with the crowd". To me, that implied a scenario where I was having to abandon my vehicle during a riot, so I assumed chaos.

Reactions: Slacker1972

lesptr

Ninja
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 7, 2018
Newnan, GA
Zip code
These days, I have my G43 on me, with a spare mag or two, and my G19 in the truck with 8 spare mags

Apparently, I’m not carrying enough gun. I need so fix that.
I do worry about truck guns being stolen when it’s unoccupied. Should I worry?

Reactions: Slacker1972

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
Apparently, I’m not carrying enough gun. I need so fix that.
I do worry about truck guns being stolen when it’s unoccupied. Should I worry?

Yes. Always have a safe or at least a chain and lock that'll fit through your trigger guard and a keyed lock that you can chain to your seat bracket and a towel or something as a cover-up. I like a big grocery bag and use it as a trash bag too. Really helps with kids too(the trash bag, not the chains or the gun).

• Haha
Reactions: Grunk

lesptr

Ninja
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 7, 2018
Newnan, GA
Zip code
Yes. Always have a safe or at least a chain and lock that'll fit through your trigger guard and a keyed lock that you can chain to your seat bracket and a towel or something as a cover-up. I like a big grocery bag and use it as a trash bag too. Really helps with kids too(the trash bag, not the chains or the gun).

Well, to be honest chains help with kids too, just don’t get caught.

But seriously, I do have some lock boxes with cables that I used to use but for some reason I quit. Just being lazy I guess. I keep a Ruger pc carbine (Fudd gun) in each get home bag with two 30 round sticks. But I’ve gotten really lazy with carry. I’ve just been slipping a kahr p380 in a pocket holster, and a spare mag in the other pocket.

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
Well, to be honest chains help with kids too, just don’t get caught.

But seriously, I do have some lock boxes with cables that I used to use but for some reason I quit. Just being lazy I guess. I keep a Ruger pc carbine (Fudd gun) in each get home bag with two 30 round sticks. But I’ve gotten really lazy with carry. I’ve just been slipping a kahr p380 in a pocket holster, and a spare mag in the other pocket.

That's the exact reason I sold my Ruger LCP II.