"Get home" weapon

Howard Law

Liberty

nitrocellulose dispenser
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2015
Ga
Zip code
Full size pistol and like 3-4 mags. I want to be completely inconspicuous and extradite myself from the situation. Rifles are for fighting long term, pistols are for getting home to your rifle.

In this sort of scenario where you are without a vehicle, a carbine, metal water bottle, and lighter could likely make the difference between getting home and not. If you gotta walk 75 miles, it would be nice to shoot a couple rabbits along the way which is pretty difficult to do at 50 yards with a pistol.

3x

Sasquatch
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Oct 14, 2019
The Diddle Shack
Zip code
In this sort of scenario where you are without a vehicle, a carbine, metal water bottle, and lighter could likely make the difference between getting home and not. If you gotta walk 75 miles, it would be nice to shoot a couple rabbits along the way which is pretty difficult to do at 50 yards with a pistol.
75 miles is a very very long walk. That's essentially a 3 day hike. I'd be more worried about having a blanket and water supply.

Liberty

nitrocellulose dispenser
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2015
Ga
Zip code
75 miles is a very very long walk. That's essentially a 3 day hike. I'd be more worried about having a blanket and water supply.

That’s what the metal water bottle is for. Boiling is the best method of simple disinfection. I’d stay away from anything insulated. Back when my commute was long, I’d also keep some parachute cord and a 6x8 tarp. They take up very little room in a pack when vacuum sealed. It is surprising how many cleanish creeks you cross when looking for them.

lesptr

Ninja
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 7, 2018
Newnan, GA
Zip code
I prefer tarred bank line over paracord. It comes in many thicknesses and you can carry more in less space.

Cutting Tool (knife)
Combustion Device (fire starter of choice)
Cover (tarp, poncho, etc)
Container (to boil and store water)
Cordage (bank line, paracord, etc)

Liberty

nitrocellulose dispenser
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2015
Ga
Zip code
I prefer tarred bank line over paracord. It comes in many thicknesses and you can carry more in less space.

Cutting Tool (knife)
Combustion Device (fire starter of choice)
Cover (tarp, poncho, etc)
Container (to boil and store water)
Cordage (bank line, paracord, etc)

The small solid blocks sold cheap at Harbor Freight work surprisingly well. I kept 2 lighters as well. 864F974D-B4C0-4C7D-9F9C-52C9DDBE8FAB.jpeg

Reactions: lesptr and 3x

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I’d love to have a CZ Scorpion EVO pistol for a get home gun. But while OP said no full size rifles, I have a Ruger PC carbine this I take on long trips. It is a take down so it takes up no space but only takes a second to get ready to fire and it takes Glock mags which I already have in my carry gun and stashed in my car and bags. Hopefully the PC Charger prices come down some and I can pick one of them up.