Kalash Klub
Sep 5, 2015
Da SAV
Zip code
Writing papers like im @1776

Mine are in good ole Amurican though

DoNt FoRgEt To CiTe YoUr SoUrCeS

My source is that this information was revealed to me in a dream
My last paper I had to figure out how to cite an Arabic source and indicate that I’d translated the text. 95% sure I fucked up the citation.

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
Yak-3 is 5+ft shorter than FW-190d, top speed is 401 mph vs 426mph. I will take a plane that's 19% smaller, and give up 6% of speed.
But FW is loaded for bear, 5 or 6 cannons?

I think the standard armament was 2 20mm cannons in the cowling, and 2 30mm cannons in the wings.

FarewellToKings

To mould a new reality
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Jun 21, 2019
Central, Ga
Zip code
For the European theater, I'd go with a P-47 that thing is a beast... it had what, 8 wing mounted .50 cal guns?
If in the Pacific theater, the Hellcat, the F4U, being a very close 2nd.
Wasn't as popular because of the engine, but P-39.
4 30 cals, 4 50 cals, and a frickin cannon.

FarewellToKings

To mould a new reality
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Jun 21, 2019
Central, Ga
Zip code
Well, if you want cool nicknames, I'm still backing the Vought F4U Corsair (or the Goodyear produced version, the F2G Corsair.)

It could out-climb, out-run, & out-fight any propeller-driven aircraft it faced on the opposing side. Known for its distinctive design & huge propeller, the aircraft was also known for the peculiar sound it made at a higher airspeed. In order to keep the Corsair as aerodynamically clean as possible, designers made sure there was nothing protruding into the surrounding air to produce additional drag. In addition to the innovative “bent-wing” design, the intake for the aircraft’s turbo-supercharger, intercooler, & oil cooler were located in slots in the inboard leading edges of the wings. Air running through those slots at high speeds gave the aircraft a very distinctive sound, & the Japanese tagged the fighter with an appropriate nickname:

“Whistling Death.”

By the numbers, the Corsair’s service at war’s end were staggering. Corsairs flew more than 64,000 sorties between the US Navy & Marine Corps. They accounted for over 2,100 victories in air combat with only 189 losses, producing an overall kill ratio of more than 11:1.

How about the P-47, nicknamed by pilots the "Jug".

When they got the England, the British thought it was short for "Juggernaut". Something they would use, and appropriate for its size and power.

In reality, it was named that because an inexperienced pilot on landing would often wind up with it on its nose (due to poor visibility of the runway). Making it look like a milk jug.

Tedkennedy

Omnivore
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
May 17, 2016
Oklahoma
Zip code
How about the P-47, nicknamed by pilots the "Jug".

When they got the England, the British thought it was short for "Juggernaut". Something they would use, and appropriate for its size and power.

In reality, it was named that because an inexperienced pilot on landing would often wind up with it on its nose (due to poor visibility of the runway). Making it look like a milk jug.

There was an hour-long show on the History Channel (way back when) - they interviewed a guy that flew a P-47 in Europe. He talked about the air dominance America had, the weather shutting flying down, all kinds of things. Then he talked about strafing civilians trying to flee west. He was disturbed by it, and said many other pilots were as well, but that they were ordered to do it.

I know it aired more than once, but that show seems to have disappeared. I've tried to find it. Ugly stuff, but a lot of those real stories from the vets are not what media outlets want to air these days.

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
There was an hour-long show on the History Channel (way back when) - they interviewed a guy that flew a P-47 in Europe. He talked about the air dominance America had, the weather shutting flying down, all kinds of things. Then he talked about strafing civilians trying to flee west. He was disturbed by it, and said many other pilots were as well, but that they were ordered to do it.

I know it aired more than once, but that show seems to have disappeared. I've tried to find it. Ugly stuff, but a lot of those real stories from the vets are not what media outlets want to air these days.

Maybe this one? Originally aired on PBS when I saw it. Really well done. Wish there was a way to stream it.