Tedkennedy

Omnivore
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
May 17, 2016
Oklahoma
Zip code
Morning gents!

No I didn't go to Wannenmacher's this weekend. News on the radio says it was record breaking crowd, guys that were there said prices were stupid, folks were buying, and aisles so crowded they could hardly get down them.

Super shorthanded at work, so back out onto the floor I go.

Miles

Ninja
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Jul 20, 2016
NW GA
Can you beef up the factory receiver?
Or demil the shotty, and use Chinese style non-bulging 1.5 UF receiver for a rebuild? Might need to trim the front trunnion just a hair to fit. It will last longer than a 1mm receiver.

Vepr sidefolder has a very strong mechanism, it locks inside of the rear trunnion. Recoil impulse does not stress the latch, unlike the UF that relies on the locking ring locking into the receiver holes. Those holes become elongated over time even with 7.62x39, one of the reasons why AK74 was never made as an UF.
Russians use Vepr sidefolder design with a 7.62x54R PK, it is that robust.

Red Squirrel 556

Street Justice Department
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Sep 24, 2020
Fayette
Can you beef up the factory receiver?
Or demil the shotty, and use Chinese style non-bulging 1.5 UF receiver for a rebuild? Might need to trim the front trunnion just a hair to fit. It will last longer than a 1mm receiver.

Vepr sidefolder has a very strong mechanism, it locks inside of the rear trunnion. Recoil impulse does not stress the latch, unlike the UF that relies on the locking ring locking into the receiver holes. Those holes become elongated over time even with 7.62x39, one of the reasons why AK74 was never made as an UF.
Russians use Vepr sidefolder design with a 7.62x54R PK, it is that robust.

I wanted to do a ground-up build but the receiver/trunnion interface is different and would have to be heavily modified or custom made, which is not undoable, but unrealistic...