Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

Tedkennedy

Omnivore
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
May 17, 2016
Oklahoma
Zip code
Rebuilding time. Being sick has reversed progress too much to be allowed. Tomorrow I rise again; more monke than man. We head back full steam and disregard the opinion of anyone who says to start back slow. The monke does not speak English nor does he hear dissenting opinions. The monke is deaf and blind to anything but progress by any means necessary. Godspeed you leather belts.

View attachment 131712
That's what I said last week before that trail run in the 100 degree heat.

You're young, you probably won't die.

AC-130 Above

WTB: SVT-40
Kalash Klub
Oct 14, 2019
Newnan
Zip code
You can (well, could) get a pick-n-pull V8 cheaper than that. Was this a straight 6?

You just need heads decked, valve seats cut, and new springs/valves? Or is the cam and/or cam bearings bad?

If the cam bearings are toast, you might as well rebuild or replace the whole thing since machine work on the block will most likely be required.

1986 V8 302 5.0l EFI motor w/ manual trans

He hasn’t gotten me an exact quote yet. Basically what happened is the valves were gummed up, due to what I can see as just neglect. The valve(s) would stick and then you’d get an explosion causing back fire sounds pretty scary when it does that lol. Anyway he recommended pulling the housing, throttle body? Out and sending them to be redone then once the cylinders are good new valves, rocket arms etc. he quoted out a Jasper crate motor for 2450 plus labor 100k mile 3 yr warranty. Idk what to do honestly, thinking about trying to source a motor.

tryna to get the biggest bang for buck, not wanting to spend 4K on a motor/install. The rebuild sounds like a interesting idea

Last edited:

Fast306stang

Black Bear under anesthesia
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code

He hasn’t gotten me an exact quote yet. Basically what happened is the valves were gummed up, due to what I can see as just neglect. The valve(s) would stick and then you’d get an explosion causing back fire sounds pretty scary when it does that lol. Anyway he recommended pulling the housing, throttle body? Out and sending them to be redone then once the cylinders are good new valves, rocket arms etc. he quoted out a Jasper crate motor for 2450 plus labor 100k mile 3 yr warranty. Idk what to do honestly, thinking about trying to source a motor.

I'd get a 2nd opinion, something doesn't sound right by your description.

Valvetrain problem doesn't require a new shortblock.

Intake (throttle body) shouldn't have anything to do with valvetrain (sticking valves) either.

Fast306stang

Black Bear under anesthesia
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code
I'd get a 2nd opinion, something doesn't sound right by your description.

Valvetrain problem doesn't require a new shortblock.

Intake (throttle body) shouldn't have anything to do with valvetrain (sticking valves) either.

Once the heads are pulled, you'll be able to access the cylinders for condition.

DeanMoriarty

oW n ER
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jun 19, 2020
Emerson GA

tryna to get the biggest bang for buck, not wanting to spend 4K on a motor/install. The rebuild sounds like a interesting idea
I gave a brand new 300 straight six $1500, has less than 500 miles on it