Documentation for NFA items

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
When I go shooting with or transport for any other reason NFA items, am I supposed to have any of the documentation with me?

Glock 21

Woodsman
Mar 26, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
Yes you need to have your stamp with you to prove it is legal. If you cross state lines I believe you have to notify the ATF as well. Not positive about how the state line deal works exactly.

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
When I go shooting with or transport for any other reason NFA items, am I supposed to have any of the documentation with me?
Yes and no.

In Georgia the possession of the stamp is an affirmative defense to avoid prosecution, but legally you don't HAVE to show it to anyone other than the ATF. Essentially, if arrested by state law enforcement for suspicion of possession of unregistered silencer you can show the stamp or go to court and force them to prove it is illegal

Glock 21

Woodsman
Mar 26, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
Yes and no.

In Georgia the possession of the stamp is an affirmative defense to avoid prosecution, but legally you don't HAVE to show it to anyone other than the ATF. Essentially, if arrested by state law enforcement for suspicion of possession of unregistered silencer you can show the stamp or go to court and force them to prove it is illegal

I recall a guy in TN who carried his in a form fitted kydex case and refused to show his papers to the man. Cost him his job wife FFL and a ton of money. If your interested google his screen name kwikrnu I beleive is how its spelled.

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
I recall a guy in TN who carried his in a form fitted kydex case and refused to show his papers to the man. Cost him his job wife FFL and a ton of money. If your interested google his screen name kwikrnu I beleive is how its spelled.
Leonard embody. It didn't cost him his job or wife, but he is a Professional jackass. He wasn't charged Iirc simply subject to a terry search which me believed he wasn't subject to

He's also an FFL SOT

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
That's a dick move for sure.
He's controversial and does things intentionally to get into court.

Some people think he's the only one brave enough to actually see how free we are in regard to the the 2nd Amd

Others say he's a trouble maker doing reckless things that hurt us more than help us.

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
Yes you need to have your stamp with you to prove it is legal. If you cross state lines I believe you have to notify the ATF as well. Not positive about how the state line deal works exactly.
You don't have to notify for suppressors, but all other Nfa items you do IIRC

Reactions: Glock 21

Glock 21

Woodsman
Mar 26, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
He's controversial and does things intentionally to get into court.

Some people think he's the only one brave enough to actually see how free we are in regard to the the 2nd Amd

Others say he's a trouble maker doing reckless things that hurt us more than help us.

He is 100% just a trouble maker who just wants to see how far he can push the limits for fun.

Reactions: Hoss

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
You don't have to notify for suppressors, but all other Nfa items you do IIRC
Even SBR's? Do you just send a note to the ATF?

This is one thing really holding me back. I like to go back to the sticks once a year for a week of shooting, and I'd like to take any NFA stuff I may acquire, but I don't like the idea of having to send paperwork every time I leave the state.

Good news on the cans though. That'll be my first NFA purchase.

calebp

Hunter
Mar 24, 2015
United States
Even SBR's? Do you just send a note to the ATF?

This is one thing really holding me back. I like to go back to the sticks once a year for a week of shooting, and I'd like to take any NFA stuff I may acquire, but I don't like the idea of having to send paperwork every time I leave the state.

Good news on the cans though. That'll be my first NFA purchase.

Once you notify you are good for a period of time. 6 months maybe? @PewPewPewCo may know more

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Once you notify you are good for a period of time. 6 months maybe? @PewPewPewCo may know more
Ok, thanks man. As long as I could send a letter a few weeks ahead of time I guess that would be fine. I have to travel through quite a few states, but none of them are anti-second.

Last edited:

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
I do mine from here to New Mexico for a 12 month period. That way I can take them with me if I want to go shooting with my old man on short notice.

Reactions: Laufen

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
Yes and no.

Would a copy suffice, or should it be the original?