Cleaners and Lubes

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

Cooper

Woodsman
Mar 6, 2010
Alabama USA
What Gun Cleaner and Lube do you have and use?

Do you use the same on all guns or different stuff on different guns.

I use Hoppes Gun Cleaner and Gun Lube on my pistol, I am wondering if I need anything else for my AR 15?

Cooper

Woodsman
Mar 6, 2010
Alabama USA
I have only used Hoppes because its locally available and seems to do well. not many are available locally at walmart or academy.

Aimless1

Woodsman
Jan 20, 2013
NW Iowa
I use whatever is at hand.....odorless mineral spirits or WD-40. They work well as cleaners. Rem oil for lube, and I like to finish up with Birchwood Casey's Barricade for rust prevention.

I've always wanted to try Eezox, but it's not available locally. I'll probably order some online at some point.

Reactions: 2 people

Sarge

Woodsman
Jun 15, 2012
Florida
Break free CLP for my AR-15 and my other long guns and handguns. I use Eezox on the exterior of my Ruger LCP slide because all the bluing wore off of it during the first year I owned it...so it's bare metal now, and it's hard to beat Eezox for rust protection. I also use it for the exterior of my Remington 870 Express shotgun, as the finish rusts on those models very easily. I keep a bottle of Hoppes No. 9 solvent onhand for stubborn bore fouling.

Nano65

Hunter
Dec 16, 2014
DFW area
My favorite is Froglube. I use it on all of my guns. It lubricates very well and also the guns are very easy to clean up using the liquid Froglube CLP when I get home from the range.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
I always use Hoppe's #9 for cleaning (bores, for the most part) and typically use Slip 2000 products or Shooter's Choice FP-10 for lubrication. This applies for handguns, rifles, and shotguns. That includes my AR.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarge

Woodsman
Jun 15, 2012
Florida
No. Hoppes No. 9 nitro solvent would be good for cleaning. Hoppes oil for lubrication would work okay, but a lube that works better at the higher temperatures involved in putting a lot of lead down range would work better...like CLP, Milpro 7, etc., IMO. You run the AR wet. But if you like Hoppes oil for lube, go for it! It's not like you're going to put 700 rounds through it in a half hour fire fight with invading communists LOL. Your AR will easily put 100 rounds down range bone dry.

Sarge

Woodsman
Jun 15, 2012
Florida
Yes, Cooper. Buy a better oil for the AR. I like Breakfree CLP, but I can't disagree with Skip's recommendation about Slip products. That's good stuff too. There are dozens of better oils out there than just using regular Hoppes or Outers gun oil in your AR.

Sarge

Woodsman
Jun 15, 2012
Florida
IMO, I wouldn't base what lube I use on a AR-15 just because I can get it at Walmart. Do a little research, try a few different products, decide for yourself what you like or don't like. There's hardly a gun cleaner or oil you can't get online and delivered to you within a few days.

Cooper

Woodsman
Mar 6, 2010
Alabama USA
I got it, I do not always buy what I can get local, but I like to buy local. The reason I use hoppes is because when I got my pistol I did the research and hoppes kept coming up and so far it works great on the pistol.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
I got it, I do not always buy what I can get local, but I like to buy local. The reason I use hoppes is because when I got my pistol I did the research and hoppes kept coming up and so far it works great on the pistol.
Based on research and observation, an AR-15 really needs a tougher lubricant that will stay in place and work under harsher conditions than the lubricant in a typical pistol does. Gas from the burned propellant blows through the action in the AR system.

Aimless1

Woodsman
Jan 20, 2013
NW Iowa
Eezox on all my guns. Great stuff.

LWS-- I'm impressed with the test results of Eezox concerning rust protection, but am not familiar with the product. Do you use it for everything, cleaner-lube-protection? If so, that would simplify things a bit.