Cleaners and Lubes

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

Aimless1

Woodsman
Jan 20, 2013
NW Iowa
Thanks for the link, Pops. Sounds like a do-all. I believe that I'll have to track some down.

Barricade is similar, I think, in that the product claims to cover all the bases.

Do you guys think these products may be a little light/thin for a semi-auto slide or some AR15 parts?

Pops

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Maine
I started using Eezox on my Mini 14 and it has worked well after at least 1000 rounds, never a hiccup. I since purchased a Sig M400 AR and started using frog lube. Also works very well no hiccups after about 750 rounds. Clean up after range time with each weapon seems the same but possibly a little easier with Frog Lube but I can't quantify that statement. Both lubes have excellent corrosion resistance but all my babies are coddled so really does not really matter. Both lubes/cleaners are plant based, in fact I read on a forum that the Frog Lube is coconut oil. I personally don't favor one over the other.

Reactions: 2 people

Aimless1

Woodsman
Jan 20, 2013
NW Iowa
Thanks Pops! My guns are also well cared-for. I don't hate cleaning my guns, so they are never at risk of rust or neglect (except for a carry gun slide that tries to rust). But I do appreciate "efficiency with results" regarding my maintenance.

Any cleaner and any lube are better than nothing......but I do acknowledge that technology may present an advantage with regards to maintaining our weapons.

My ar15 doesn't usually get more than 100 rounds per range trip (I DO have an ammo budget) plus there are always other guns to shoot. So lube for extended firing isn't necessary at this point.

Sarge

Woodsman
Jun 15, 2012
Florida
Like I said earlier, I use Eezox on some guns, but not others. There are some people out there that say Eezox is deadlier than a VX nerve agent. One drop on your skin, or breathing too much of it, will make your wiener shrink. Actually, I've found it to have the exact opposite effect. LOL! They will say that S&W used to use it in their machining process, yet don't state the concentration of the "deadly" ingredients used by S&W vs. the concentrations of those ingredients in the product sold to the general public. Oh gee, Midway USA stopped selling it! It must be bad! They must have had a private phone conversation with old Larry at Midway. Give me a break! All petroleum distillates (and many silicone based products) are not the healthiest things to breathe or get on your skin. But it's not like we clean guns all day for a living or bathe in or huff this stuff. I applied Eezox this morning to my Ruger LCP. I'm sure the three scrambled eggs, four pieces of thick-cut bacon, home fried potatoes, and two pieces of toast (with real butter applied with a paint brush) I ate afterwards, was for more harmful to my health than my use of Eezox. Use of any gun cleaning solvent, oil, or combined clean, lubricate, protect (CLP) should be used with a little common sense. I use all these products in a well ventilated area. I apply Eezox with a Q-Tip. With some products I may put on a thin pair of rubber gloves, sometimes not. I always wash my hands after using anything.

For those of you considering using Eezox, I have found it to be the best rust preventative out there. After it has dried, and you've wiped off any excess, the stuff leaves gun actions slicker than bull snot. It cleans guns great too. It is a all-in-one product, but it's not the do all, end all of gun cleaning products. If you use too much, don't let it dry, or don't wipe off the excess, it's sticky. It is not a product that you squirt a drop or two into the lock work of a firearm...use gun oil for those applications.

Everyone has their favorite gun cleaning/lubricating product. Some think their product is the best. I get it. But as far as what a person uses on an AR-15, it's not like most of us are going into combat tomorrow and shooting 600+ rounds at the enemy. No...most of us are going to lob a 100 or so rounds at a target at the rifle range, and in that case, just about any gun oil will work fine. I like to use Breakfree CLP on the bolt carrier group of my AR-15, but I can't fault anyone who uses something different. Those rifles puke up everything into themselves. AR rifles get really dirty, really fast. Keeping them wet with a good oil, keeps all that crap in suspension and things running smoothly. So, in my humble opinion, use whatever you want, use it regularly, and use it safely. Also, know how much lubrication you should use on a specific gun. My Colt 1911 pistols need a lot of lubrication to run smoothly...so does my AR-15 when I shoot a lot of ammo through it during a range trip. My Glock pistol does not, and should not be over-lubed. The best way to buy Eezox is directly from the manufacturer. Go to their website and read about the product. Just Google Eezox. There are also a few good YouTube videos out there on how to apply the stuff.

Again, this is all my personal opinion. I could be wrong. My wife says I usually am. :)

Sarge

Reactions: 2 people

Pops

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Maine
I bought two lifetimes of Eezox from Midway USA when they were eliminating it from their lineup. Got 2 quarts and two oilers with 15 ccs in each oiler for much less than half price!:rolleyes:

Sarge

Woodsman
Jun 15, 2012
Florida
That's a lot of Eezox Pops! A 4oz can lasts years for me.

Aimless...I think you should use a good oil for the bolt carrier group of an AR, but Eezox in the bore and the exterior of the barrel wouldn't be bad.

Pops

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Maine
I gave a quarter of a quart to each of 4 sons. The other quart is for after shave lotion!:eek:

Aimless1

Woodsman
Jan 20, 2013
NW Iowa
Aimless...I think you should use a good oil for the bolt carrier group of an AR, but Eezox in the bore and the exterior of the barrel wouldn't be bad.

Thanks Sarge. That's what I've been doing with regards to lube. I have been using Barricade in the bore after cleaning, and also on the exterior.
I'm going to order some Eezox soon to replace the Barricade in my lineup.