CCW for my wife?

GA Firing Line

DMR

CZ Fan
Jun 4, 2015
Snellville
Zip code
She doesn't want to carry the G19. She's worried it's too big to conceal. She carries a small purse and is pretty small in size herself. I'm honestly joking about using her as an excuse to just get a new range toy. I want her to get what she wants so she'll actually carry the thing. Unfortunately taking her to a gun store is a no go. She WILL NOT hold a gun at the store. (She says the sales person is always judging her... don't ask cause I don't know....) I have tried that so many times. Just flat out won't do it.

@BosanaCZ I worry that a p938 would be too many things for her to remember under stress. Trust me, I've looked at that add of yours probably 20 times already. Unfortunately I can't trade my G19 off and I don't have a Walther. All I could offer is a stainless FNS which has the G19 length barrel/slide and a 17 round capacity, or my G26. You can PM me if either tickle your fancy.

So I heard a couple people mention the shield, are your wives happy with them? I'm SERIOUSLY contemplating the ported performance center 9mm. The volume has never bothered her, so it being loud would be ok. Reduced recoil is a definite plus. How's the reliability and accuracy you're getting?
PM sent.

Reactions: Rwjeter
May 2, 2017
Plant city, Fl
Zip code
Phenomenal guns, but I don't see how having a 1911 style gun which needs to be carried condition one is the best option for a ladies purse. Seems kinda unsafe actually. So she's either got it cocked and locked rolling around in her purse with keys and tubes of lipstick(amongst 100 lady related items) or she has to rack the slide after she pulls it out.

Maybe I'm overlooking something, but I just don't see that being a great option.
For that reason she doesn't carry in her purse. She wants to but is gonna get a different gun for that.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Willy Leadwell

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Just my two cents:

If she isn't aware of the consequences, make sure to inform her that the lighter the firearm is, the more recoil it will typically have. Years of working in a gun shop taught me that most people assume a "bigger gun" will be more difficult to shoot. Make sure she knows that's not true.

Practice/training...just stating the obvious.

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
She should try out some different models.

If she insists on carrying in her purse I would suggest something to protect the trigger like this:

http://gearcraftholsters.com/the-skinny-trigger-guard-cover/

skinny_3__32623.1463677380.1280.1280.jpg

Reactions: Rwjeter and Jake

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
So take her to a range and let her try out all the rentals. Trust me it will be much better if she picks it.

^^ THIS ^^ ALL DAY / EVERYDAY! Guys buy guns that they would want. Then when the wife / girlfriend doesn't like it, then the guy gets a new gun that way. :) Let her pick out what she wants. Believe me, if she picks it out, she'll take more ownership, she'll shoot it more, she'll invest in it more, she may even want to take training, and if you're lucky, she'll fall in love with shooting sports and want to buy more.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
Why? How would she be able to narrow it down without handling it??
You can handle every gun in the case without taking them all to the range.

Once you decide on the size, caliber and how you're going to carry it, there won't be that many choices. I'd rather shoot off my big toe than take a woman to the gun shop and tell her to pick one. She's gonna end up with a pink LCP or you're going to end up choosing for her anyway.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
Just my two cents:

If she isn't aware of the consequences, make sure to inform her that the lighter the firearm is, the more recoil it will typically have. Years of working in a gun shop taught me that most people assume a "bigger gun" will be more difficult to shoot. Make sure she knows that's not true.

Practice/training...just stating the obvious.
That's precisely why so many people report ftf with LCP and tcp. Even I have to be conscious of my grip when shooting an LCP. I hate small guns for that very reason. The best shooting small gun I've ever shot is the sig p290. The trigger pull is about a country mile and it's a bit heavy for a "pocket" pistol, but it's hard to beat in a comparable size gun. It's weight probably gives it a slight advantage imo.

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
You can handle every gun in the case without taking them all to the range.

Once you decide on the size, caliber and how you're going to carry it, there won't be that many choices. I'd rather shoot off my big toe than take a woman to the gun shop and tell her to pick one. She's gonna end up with a pink LCP or you're going to end up choosing for her anyway.

I did exactly that and took my wife to the gun store and let her pick whatever she wanted for a carry gun. I didn't even stay with her, I went over to the rifles and was fondling a few AK's. She ended up with a Glock 42 because it felt good in her hand(that she has now had me deck out with purple Hyve Technologies shit). She did look at the purple/pink offerings from Ruger and a few other companies as well as the XDs, Shield, Kahr, etc.. My wife isn't exactly your average female gun buyer though, she's actually a shooter too. She has several of her own guns that she's bought for herself.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
I did exactly that and took my wife to the gun store and let her pick whatever she wanted for a carry gun. I didn't even stay with her, I went over to the rifles and was fondling a few AK's. She ended up with a Glock 42 because it felt good in her hand(that she has now had me deck out with purple Hyve Technologies shit). She did look at the purple/pink offerings from Ruger and a few other companies as well as the XDs, Shield, Kahr, etc.. My wife isn't exactly your average female gun buyer though, she's actually a shooter too. She has several of her own guns that she's bought for herself.
Did she have to shoot them all to decide?

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
Did she have to shoot them all to decide?

Probably 50% of them she actually shot. Then I drove her to CG&P to actually buy the G42. If they would have had all of the guns she looked at as rentals she would have shot all of them though. Like I said though, she's a shooter and enjoys getting in some trigger time.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
One thing that, in my mind, is extremely important - especially for a new pistol shooter - is to have a pistol that fits the shooter's hand properly. This is critically important for point-shooting but makes a difference for all shooting. Here's something I've published in other forums many times:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
In my opinion, for the point-n-shoot technique to work well, a fighting pistol MUST properly fit the shooter's hand. If it does not, then another pistol should be used. To test whether or not a particular pistol fits your hand:
  • Unload the pistol and move the ammunition to a remote place.
  • Grasp the pistol with your eyes closed.
  • Raise the pistol to a shooting position, still with your eyes closed.
  • Open your eyes and look across the sights. The sights should be very closely aligned.
  • Repeat steps 2, 3, and 4 above several times. The sight alignment should be good every time.
If a pistol fits your hand well enough to pass the test above, it will point as naturally as your index finger.

When in a combat situation (or practicing for combat shooting), you should focus on the target and NOT the sights. Bring the pistol into alignment with the target. Without even focusing on the pistol, you should see the top of the slide roughly aligned with your intended impact point. While holding the pistol in this alignment, rapidly fire at least two rounds (a "double-tap").

The above technique is a method that I've used (without defining it) and, later, read about in one of Massad Ayoob's very good books on combat pistol shooting. It works well IF the pistol fits your hand.

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
One thing that, in my mind, is extremely important - especially for a new pistol shooter - is to have a pistol that fits the shooter's hand properly. This is critically important for point-shooting but makes a difference for all shooting. Here's something I've published in other forums many times:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
In my opinion, for the point-n-shoot technique to work well, a fighting pistol MUST properly fit the shooter's hand. If it does not, then another pistol should be used. To test whether or not a particular pistol fits your hand:
  • Unload the pistol and move the ammunition to a remote place.
  • Grasp the pistol with your eyes closed.
  • Raise the pistol to a shooting position, still with your eyes closed.
  • Open your eyes and look across the sights. The sights should be very closely aligned.
  • Repeat steps 2, 3, and 4 above several times. The sight alignment should be good every time.
If a pistol fits your hand well enough to pass the test above, it will point as naturally as your index finger.

When in a combat situation (or practicing for combat shooting), you should focus on the target and NOT the sights. Bring the pistol into alignment with the target. Without even focusing on the pistol, you should see the top of the slide roughly aligned with your intended impact point. While holding the pistol in this alignment, rapidly fire at least two rounds (a "double-tap").

The above technique is a method that I've used (without defining it) and, later, read about in one of Massad Ayoob's very good books on combat pistol shooting. It works well IF the pistol fits your hand.
Good advice! Thanks for the input. Now I'm gonna go home and try it out myself. I'll try to incorporate that in our next range outing. Before my wife and I got together she had never shot. She really enjoyed it and wants to go more, but won't while pregnant. So, after The little man gets here I'm hoping my range trips become a little more frequent.

Rwjeter

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
Where did you take her? My wife loves shooting. Originally she wanted a purple gun. Now she won't have one. She thinks they're dumb. Ha! That's my girl!

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
Where did you take her? My wife loves shooting. Originally she wanted a purple gun. Now she won't have one. She thinks they're dumb. Ha! That's my girl!

Big Woods Goods and Hi Caliber to handle and shoot them and then Cherokee Gun and Pawn to buy.

Rwjeter

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
Well, she specifically pointed out a Kimber Micro 9 Desert Tan when we were at the gun shop yesterday. Still wouldn't hold it, but at least it's a start. I'm worried though because I've read reviews of them being a little snappy. Any one shoot one of these?

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
Well, she specifically pointed out a Kimber Micro 9 Desert Tan when we were at the gun shop yesterday. Still wouldn't hold it, but at least it's a start. I'm worried though because I've read reviews of them being a little snappy. Any one shoot one of these?

Buy it for her and if she doesn't like it sell it to me at a discount. I really want a Micro 9.

Rwjeter

Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
Buy it for her and if she doesn't like it sell it to me at a discount. I really want a Micro 9.
How about you give me the money to buy it, and if she doesn't like it, I'll just GIVE it to you. For free. I'm a nice guy like that.

Reactions: Jake