Can Recs???

American Revival Apparel Company

Jcountry

Frontiersman
Mar 30, 2015
Georgia
I am thinking of taking the NFA trust route and doing a couple of suppressors.

Anyone got any ideas for what cans would be good for a Ruger SR-22 and a Glock 17? I would like to be able to use it with normal sights.

Thanks

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
ARC22 from Dobbs for the 22LR..but I don't know if it will clear the sights. I doubt it will. Were are you located?

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net

Anyone got any ideas for what cans would be good for a Ruger SR-22 and a Glock 17? I would like to be able to use it with normal sights.

Thanks

I'd be glad to meet you at my gun club if you want to shoot a G17 with a Guardian 9 and Tirant 9. I've also got a .22 can that goes on my 22/45. You're welcome to shoot that one too. Just bring subsonic 9mm ammo- I'm running very low. .22LR doesn't matter- it's all quiet though the pistol. Rifle, not so much.

I can't say what's best or better, but I am very happy with the few that I have. Standard sights won't work with either of the 9mm cans on a G17 though. I've got a G17 with the tall suppressor sights- they barely clear the can.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code

Thanks
SR-22 is a great host for my Spectre II, but if I had it to over again Iwould buy the Steel Dobbs ARC22, just based on the reputation and the price.

For 9 I went with the Octane 9 HD and it's great. Got it for $379 at Cherokee. Without that deal, I'd buy whatever 9 can @DoglegArms has that I can afford.

Jul 14, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
Your sights will probably be ok with most rimfire cans on the sr22. I have a silencerco sparrow and the ruger sights are fine when its installed. The only drawback to the sparrow is the noticeable "first round pop" you get with most mono core cans. I went with it because it is by far the easiest to clean with the "clamshell" design. I would probably buy a .45 can for the g17 just in case you want to shoot something bigger down the road. there are some pistol cans that are modular now so you can change the length of the can to suit your needs. Some also have different size end caps so you can go back and forth between calibers. You don't really lose much if you go with a .45 can 4 9mm but you'll never be able to shoot .45 out of a 9mm can. I just ordered a Rugged Obsidian .45 and am pretty pumped about it. As far as sights go you will probably need tall sights with just about any can on a G17. The Osprey would be the only one that might work if that is a concern but i haven't tried it.

Jul 14, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
If you're trying to buy before July 1st you might want to try to preorder or get on a waiting list. Inventory is very low most places

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
You don't really lose much if you go with a .45 can 4 9mm but you'll never be able to shoot .45 out of a 9mm can. I just ordered a Rugged Obsidian .45 and am pretty pumped about it. As far as sights go you will probably need tall sights with just about any can on a G17. The Osprey would be the only one that might work if that is a concern but i haven't tried it.
This is sound advice if you want versatility in the future. However if you don't plan to use it on .45 in the future, get a 9 can. The seemingly slightly extra weight and length can be more significant than you thought.

Jul 14, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
This is sound advice if you want versatility in the future. However if you don't plan to use it on .45 in the future, get a 9 can. The seemingly slightly extra weight and length can be more significant than you thought.
True if you are 100% sure you will never want to shoot anything bigger. That is the reason they are making the new cans modular. In the short configuration the Obsidian is 0.8 inches shorter and 0.1 ounces lighter than the Octane 9. Both have the same diameter.

edited

Last edited:

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
Man I love mine. I don't have any problems at all. I've mostly used CCI standard

It's not bad, but I have zero issues with the 22/45. It runs great without the can. I don't really have it for a host. I use it to teach my wife and daughter to shoot. The ergos are good and it's operation Are similar to most other handguns, where my other 22s aren't

Reactions: DarthVader

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
The mk iii is very good. Only drawback is cleaning. Never tried the mk II but it should be great as well
What do you mean? You don't like the whole squeeze the trigger, turn it upside down, release the trigger, flip it over three times, squeeze the trigger, keep it depressed and spin it clockwise while attaching the upper?

Jul 14, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
What do you mean? You don't like the whole squeeze the trigger, turn it upside down, release the trigger, flip it over three times, squeeze the trigger, keep it depressed and spin it clockwise while attaching the upper?
No I don't. It's not complicated enough for me. I prefer something a little more challenging.

Reactions: Laufen

Jcountry

Frontiersman
Mar 30, 2015
Georgia
It's a lot like a woman.

Not complicated if you know the trick.

(I just wish I knew the damn trick with women-got the gun thing down.)

White

Frontiersman
Apr 19, 2015
Georgia
I have gotten pretty good at assembling mine but a still keep a rubber mallet handy to knock the shit out of it when I do screw up and main spring will not come out.

Reactions: Laufen and freedom

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
I had the pleasure of shooting the aac illusion 9 on a g19 this weekend. One of the best things I liked was the fact that it can bet set off center to be able to work with factory sights. It suppressed great and was really balanced. I would definitely take a look at it for a 9mm can