Budget precision rifle ideas

American Revival Apparel Company

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
Ok guys I'll post on this thread tomorrow. Out of time right now. If you want to shoot 400 yard and or 1000. Feel free to pm me tomorrow. Great bunch of guys that can shoot and won't kid you too much if you don't hit paper. It's in Ga but a bit of a drive for me 2 1/2 hour. Great guys and the guns will give you a chub. I would love to have a bunch of us show up.
Where?

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
Tikka would get my vote. They use Sako barrels and are quality guns out of the box with phenomenal triggers....or you could buy a used Sako and save up some more money for an optic. I have a Sako 75 that is really nice. I got a sweetheart deal on it too, otherwise I'd have just gotten a Tikka.

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
Ok- this was a target i shot awhile back- I think I was testing overall length. The bottom right target (1" spots by the way) has 3 off target wen I was checking the scope for that load.

Overall, not bad. This was the Tikka T3 Varmit in 22-250 at 100 yards (the range was closer to 115 yards, but whatever).

20170425_212906.jpg

Last edited:

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Ok- this was a target i shot awhile back- i thunk i was testing overall length. The bottom right target (1" spots by the way) has 3 off target wen I was checking the scope for that load.

Overall, not bad. This was the Tikka T3 Varmit in 22-250 at 100 yards (the range was closer to 115 yards, but whatever).

View attachment 27929
That looks like the gun can shoot much better than I am capable of.

Reactions: dial1911

War Paint

Frontiersman
Nov 23, 2015
Oxford ga
Zip code
We could go to the OBO shoot (Outlaw Benchrest Organization) Its the 4th Saturday of the month. I think its $25 to join OBO then $25 to shoot a match then $5 for the next match. There is Limited class, Heavy gun, Factory, And gas gun(ar's). Or I can talk to Eric and we could rent the range for a day. The last couple of times we did that it was $50each. It is in Swainsboro. Check out Cool Acres Sporting Camp.

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
Ok- this was a target i shot awhile back- i thunk i was testing overall length. The bottom right target (1" spots by the way) has 3 off target wen I was checking the scope for that load.

View attachment 27929

Which ammo were you using?

Those look like great groups. May have to try a Tikka out one of these days. I know @cmshoot speaks highly of them for the money. I just forget about them not being a huge bolt gun guy.

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
We could go to the OBO shoot (Outlaw Benchrest Organization) Its the 4th Saturday of the month. I think its $25 to join OBO then $25 to shoot a match then $5 for the next match. There is Limited class, Heavy gun, Factory, And gas gun(ar's). Or I can talk to Eric and we could rent the range for a day. The last couple of times we did that it was $50each. It is in Swainsboro. Check out Cool Acres Sporting Camp.

I've heard of Cool Acres, but never gone to shoot there. If I can work it in around my kids' schedules, I'd like to go. If we can get some folks together, y'all drive to Macon and I'll drive us the rest of the way. I've got room for a few in the car.

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
Which ammo were you using?

Those look like great groups. May have to try a Tikka out one of these days. I know @cmshoot speaks highly of them for the money. I just forget about them not being a huge bolt gun guy.

My loads- I couldn't tell you exactly what it was at the time, but likely a 52 grain BTHP (probably Hornady Match or SMK's) and probably worked up to chrono around 3100 FPS. That gun seemed to like them in that range.

Reactions: Wallace

ReservoirDawg10

Sniper
Site Supporter
Apr 10, 2016
Gwinnett
Zip code
You are not gonna really get a "custom" gun for $1,200. Nothing wrong with that. I'd look at good factory rifles. My choice would be 6.5 creedmoor for off the shelf match ammo at reasonable price - I pay just over $1 a round for 140 grain ELDM's.

Tikka T3x T or T3X CTR (Georgia Gun Store carries them for just over $900)
Ruger Precision Rifle - if you are going to change anything out on it, go ahead and just get the Gen1. They pretty much just changed aesthetics and added a muzzle brake for $250 more.
Bergara B14 (Georgia company - right in Lawrenceville)

If you want to feel like it is custom, Ruger American Predator in 6.5 and drop it into a stock or chassis of your choosing, but you are getting a better barrel out of the box with one of the above and already in a better quality stock or chassis system.

Lots of folks coming out with precision rifles in 6.5 for around $1k now - Howa (heard nothing but good out of these, but very new to the game), Savage, etc, etc, etc. Lots of choices these days, but the top 3 would be my first choices

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
Yeah, with a $1200 all in price for optics and all, I'd look into the MVP. @cmshoot was telling me about one he bought and was really impressed with it. Grab it in 308. If you can splurge a little more, I'd look in to the Ruger Precision in 6.5. if you want something easier on the shoulder that's a little easier on the wallet to shoot, my RRA Varminteer went to 600. If I had more practice and heavier bullets I could've produced a much nicer group I'm sure. But it is capable.

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
You are not gonna really get a "custom" gun for $1,200. Nothing wrong with that. I'd look at good factory rifles. My choice would be 6.5 creedmoor for off the shelf match ammo at reasonable price - I pay just over $1 a round for 140 grain ELDM's.

Tikka T3x T or T3X CTR (Georgia Gun Store carries them for just over $900)
Ruger Precision Rifle - if you are going to change anything out on it, go ahead and just get the Gen1. They pretty much just changed aesthetics and added a muzzle brake for $250 more.
Bergara B14 (Georgia company - right in Lawrenceville)

If you want to feel like it is custom, Ruger American Predator in 6.5 and drop it into a stock or chassis of your choosing, but you are getting a better barrel out of the box with one of the above and already in a better quality stock or chassis system.

Lots of folks coming out with precision rifles in 6.5 for around $1k now - Howa (heard nothing but good out of these, but very new to the game), Savage, etc, etc, etc. Lots of choices these days, but the top 3 would be my first choices

Gen 1 RPR's are no more. You can only buy Gen 2's new now as Ruger stopped accepting orders for Gen 1's late last year.

The extra MSRP is for the aluminum bolt shroud, new style rail and MD. All the rest is the exact same. I also think they dropped the 243 offering as well.