Budget precision rifle ideas

American Revival Apparel Company

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
So I really want a precision gun, amongst other things. Because I know so little about it I keep waffling between semi and bolt action, calibers, etc.....

So I want to hear ideas on a precision build on a budget, as much as I'd like a fancy rifle things like GAP rifles and night force scopes are not in my budget any time soon.

Criteria:
-$1000- 1200 total

-Good to reliably make good groups out to 600 yards but longer is preferable

-caliber has to be available relatively easy (doesn't have to be at walmart, but found online without too much trouble) and at a reasonable cost.

-I would like the caliber to be strong enough to use on deer in GA, but hunting wouldn't be its primary job.

So let me hear yalls thoughts. I don't want to be a super sniper or have it ready to go to war. It would be an entry level rifle into long range shooting and for taking some of @cmshoot classes (I want to hear his thoughts too)

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I'd snag a decent hb Savage bolt action $450-550 rifle in .308 or 6.5 Creedmoor, glass bed the action, get some good rings, lap them, and slap a decent optic on it. That'll get you to 1000 yards without a lot of messing around.

Or, (maybe) better yet.

Jump on this deal and do the same thing. Some decent Warne or Leupold rings and a $400-500 6-18X scope and you're in binness.

https://gun.deals/product/tikka-t3x-ctr-65-creedmoor-jrtxc382-84699

Last edited:

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
I 2nd the Savage rifle idea, I'd go with a .308, new stock, and a Vortex optic. That should keep you in your budget and be a great long range gun.

Reactions: AtlMedic

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
If you could live with .223, I have a Rem 700 that I've been thinking about selling (not a 600 yard caliber though).

If you could live with .22-250, I have a Tikka T3 Varmit that I've semi-considered selling (I've shot it out to 500 yards with very good results).

Now- if I were building a "long distance" gun, it would not be .308... I'd have to go with 6.5 Creed if we're talking about stretching out to 1000 meters. Dad recently had a 6.5 built that is a phenomenal rifle- and he's learned that reading wind and mirage at that distance is something of an art form.

All that said, I only know of a couple places to shoot that far (legally). And for what it's worth, I'm sticking with my .308 because I have no practical use for a 6.5 in the real world.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
If you could live with .223, I have a Rem 700 that I've been thinking about selling (not a 600 yard caliber though).

If you could live with .22-250, I have a Tikka T3 Varmit that I've semi-considered selling (I've shot it out to 500 yards with very good results).

Now- if I were building a "long distance" gun, it would not be .308... I'd have to go with 6.5 Creed if we're talking about stretching out to 1000 meters. Dad recently had a 6.5 built that is a phenomenal rifle- and he's learned that reading wind and mirage at that distance is something of an art form.

All that said, I only know of a couple places to shoot that far (legally). And for what it's worth, I'm sticking with my .308 because I have no practical use for a 6.5 in the real world.
The 22-250 will sure go to 600. My brother in law has the same rifle with a 6-18 leupold. It was deadly on prairie dogs as far as we could see them with 55 grain vmax's. He managed to connect many, many times at 600 (and then some on a few occasions) yards verified with a rangefinder.

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
The 22-250 will sure go to 600. My brother in law has the same rifle with a 6-18 leupold. It was deadly on prairie dogs as far as we could see them with 55 grain vmax's. He managed to connect many, many times at 600 (and then some on a few occasions) yards verified with a rangefinder.

Mine has a Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 on it... put it on a rest or bipod and it will go exactly where you point it :) I really like that rifle. I wish the magazines were either cheaper, or I had an aftermarket option.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Mine has a Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 on it... put it on a rest or bipod and it will go exactly where you point it :) I really like that rifle. I wish the magazines were either cheaper, or I had an aftermarket option.
Yeah, his is a vxII as well with a harris bipod. For sure, the mags were like $70 or so, fortunately two of them is enough really. I think he found his at a gun shop 50% off since Tikka's weren't super popular in my old neck of the woods.

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
Ruger American Predator in an LSS chassis in 308

Remington 700SPS tactical in 308

Savage 10 FCP SR in 308

Mossberg MVP LR in 308

Nearly every retail outlet will have a descent selection of ammo and all of those minus the Ruger in a LSS or the Remington would leave a descent cushion for optics.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Ruger American Predator in an LSS chassis in 308

Remington 700SPS tactical in 308

Savage 10 FCP SR in 308

Mossberg MVP LR in 308

Nearly every retail outlet will have a descent selection of ammo and all of those minus the Ruger in a LSS or the Remington would leave a descent cushion for optics.

Those are actually a few of the rifles I was looking at. I plan on checking them all out at the NRA show this weekend. I hope to get a better idea of what rifle I like after that. I'm also going to check out the Vortex booth to pick their brains on optics.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
Those are actually a few of the rifles I was looking at. I plan on checking them all out at the NRA show this weekend. I hope to get a better idea of what rifle I like after that. I'm also going to check out the Vortex booth to pick their brains on optics.
I'd take a good look at Tikka, they are fine rifles. My go to hunting rifle is a Tikka in .308, though I've never had the opportunity to take it to 600 yards, I do believe it to be a better rifle than any savage or Ruger I've ever owned. Can't speak to mossberg cause I've never owned one of their centerfire rifles.

I built an AR in .308 and would love to have the opportunity to stretch its legs and see what it's capable of. I really want to wade into the long range shooting waters myself. Just easier said than done for me.

Reactions: Laufen and dial1911

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
I'd take a good look at Tikka, they are fine rifles. My go to hunting rifle is a Tikka in .308, though I've never had the opportunity to take it to 600 yards, I do believe it to be a better rifle than any savage or Ruger I've ever owned. Can't speak to mossberg cause I've never owned one of their centerfire rifles.

The Tikka action is one of the slickest I've ever used- and the out of the box trigger is really good too. I also really like the contours of the stock... and the from-the-factory detachable magazine is a nice feature too.

I need to take a picture of a couple targets when I get home later.

Reactions: Laufen

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code

I built an AR in .308 and would love to have the opportunity to stretch its legs and see what it's capable of. I really want to wade into the long range shooting waters myself. Just easier said than done for me.
For sure, and it's a safe bet to put it over the Mossberg.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
The Tikka action is one of the slickest I've ever used- and the out of the box trigger is really good too. I also really like the contours of the stock... and the from-the-factory detachable magazine is a nice feature too.

I need to take a picture of a couple targets when I get home later.
And they use Sako barrels.....and guaranteed 1 moa or better.

Reactions: dial1911

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
And they use Sako barrels.....and guaranteed 1 moa or better.
Sako and Tikka are Beretta.

The only complaint I've ever heard about the Tikka is that they use a plastic trigger guard. I've seen guys swapping them out for Sako guards. Though I've never actually heard of one breaking. They are smooth as butter and sexy too. The hunter in .308 is certainly the finest rifle I own.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Ha... better... one ragged hole better.
Yep. I had a group that I shot at a guns university up at Eagle Bluff MN used in a Sako product catalog one year. Sako was a vendor sporting their wares for the store where I managed a couple shops. The caption said, "one ragged hole", and it was shot with a Sako 75 Varmint in 22-250. I was so proud of that group that I had the target laminated lol, but have since lost it. That was about 15 years ago.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Sako and Tikka are Beretta.

The only complaint I've ever heard about the Tikka is that they use a plastic trigger guard. I've seen guys swapping them out for Sako guards. Though I've never actually heard of one breaking. They are smooth as butter and sexy too. The hunter in .308 is certainly the finest rifle I own.
Yeah, now they're owned by Beretta. I've never seen one break either.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code

I'll take a look at the Tikka. I've only heard good things about them.

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
In regards to 6.5cm, it's still not very common in many retail stores, at least the good ammo isn't, but my RPR performs quite well. Best group using factory Hornady Hunter Precision yielded .473 MOA at 100 yards, and a descent .85 MOA at 600 with a 10-15 MPH right to left wind.

The RPR is on the max end of your budget though before optics.

A group from my last visit to the CMP.

017928cc89037731819c6d5630fe638b.jpg

Best 5 round group thus far at 100. Taking the bullet diameter out, that's .473 MOA. I have 80 hand loads I hope to better this with, just haven't had the time to go shoot them.

4c0a652b674fcc73b3bedac2f2daef3f.png

Full review of my RPR below:

https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/t...ccuracy-results-and-overall-comments.1330719/

Lastly, I was able to shoot an American Predator in 308 the first day I took my RPR out to 100 yards. Sighted it in for my buddy and it yielded very close accuracy at 100 to my 6.5. I loath their crap mags and stock, but for $380, they are hard to beat value wise if solely for accuracy. If they could include an adjustable cheek comb, and accept AR10 mags, they would have a real winner. Only other thing is that I think the AP uses a std sight base instead of a 20moa, which would only come into play at longer distances.

Last edited:

War Paint

Frontiersman
Nov 23, 2015
Oxford ga
Zip code
Ok guys I'll post on this thread tomorrow. Out of time right now. If you want to shoot 400 yard and or 1000. Feel free to pm me tomorrow. Great bunch of guys that can shoot and won't kid you too much if you don't hit paper. It's in Ga but a bit of a drive for me 2 1/2 hour. Great guys and the guns will give you a chub. I would love to have a bunch of us show up.