Brief CZ Scorpion EVO3 S1 Review.

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I took the Scorpion out to the range today for the first time. I've spent a couple weeks fondling it, and decided to put it to work for an hour or so.

My main goal wasn't and isn't to pass along a lot of generic info that's available all over the internet, I was interested in my guns reliability and finding any annoying quirks that need to be remedied.

The only major annoyance that I discovered after some internet searching is the ambi-safeties tendency to rub the trigger finger on the right hand side (if you're right handed). New safety buttons are $20, mine is now "custom" thanks to the dremel. It looks fine, and functions perfectly.

IMG_0954.JPG

I brought 4 kinds of ammunition along for testing. I came with a full 30 round magazine of CCI Blazer 115 grain fmj's. The remaining 3 were dumped into a bag and mixed up. I was more interested in reliability than benchrest type groups.

Ammunition is as follows:
50 rounds Aguila 124 grain hps (these were hot, sounded much faster than the Fiocchi)
50 rounds of Fiocchi 115 grain XTP hps.
50 rounds Aguila 115 grain FMJ's
30 rounds CCI Blazer Brass 115 grain FMJ's

First off, it was 100% reliable with all 180 rounds. I banged them randomly through the mags without any issues whatsoever. I limp wristed it, double and triple taps, quick mag dumps and slow rates of fire. No issues at all.

One thing I noticed was the frame by the forward sling attachment got hot, really it was too hot to hold the pistol out on the barrel. In semi-auto I can't imagine this would be a problem, but an FA variant might do some interesting things to the poly frame.

Like I said, accuracy wasn't my goal, but everyone likes to see some examples of what it can do.

Bear in mind that these groups are unsupported from a cheek weld only. Since this is a pistol, the brace can only touch the cheek and that's exactly what I did.

All groups are shot with a variety of ammo listed above.

Group on the left was at 7 yards, the group on the right was at 25 yards. I didn't bother to measure it, but it's obvious that it's a serviceable gun at pistol distances and surely beyond.

IMG_0953.JPG

The last thing I wanted to comment on is recoil. Being a 9mm pistol there isn't much, but it was more apparent than the Marlin Camp 9. The most likely reason is the bolt in the CZ. It's nearly as heavy as Thor's hammer. 33 Percent, yes 33 percent of the guns weight is in the bolt. You can definitely feel that massive chunk of steel, but the recoils is still soft and manageable.

All in all, I really like it. What's more to ask. Accurate, reliable, and I love the huge controls for releasing the mag, bolt, and the safety.

Nice little pistol.

PewPewPewCo

Sniper
Mar 23, 2015
Georgia
The heavy bolt is a major cause of the recoil, but it is necessary for a direct blowback action in order to contain the pressure for as long as possible. A major weakness of the direct blowback system.

Reactions: rOmiLaYu

Abishai

Tracker
Kalash Klub
Mar 30, 2015
GA
Zip code
Anything special you had to add so the KAK buffer and the shockwave blade installed, i.e. some type of adapter on the stock?

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Anything special you had to add so the KAK buffer and the shockwave blade installed, i.e. some type of adapter on the stock?
The KAK comes with the adapter. I bought the whole thing together with the shockwave blade for $120.

Reactions: Abishai