AR Scope

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

Little99703

Hunter
Dec 8, 2016
Cartersville
Zip code
Ok, need a little help. Looking to put a scope on my AR. Not looking to do anything crazy distance wise. I've looked at a few red dot scopes and some people say buy on that is 2x instead of 1x.

Being inexperienced in this area will a 2x be better with a red dot? Does it make a difference vs the 1x?

Any suggestions?

Some advise would be helpful, thanks.

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
I personally don't touch magnified optics until they get to 4X. At only 2x or 3x I would rather have a red dot or more irons only. My preference is for 1-4x or 1-6x.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I'm with NWS. With a 2 or 3x you can't shoot both eyes open like a 1x reddot but you don't get much magnification for long shots.

I'd go 1-6x or a non magnified reddot.

On mine I have a reddot and I use the irons for longer shots.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
Ok, need a little help. Looking to put a scope on my AR. Not looking to do anything crazy distance wise. I've looked at a few red dot scopes and some people say buy on that is 2x instead of 1x.

Being inexperienced in this area will a 2x be better with a red dot? Does it make a difference vs the 1x?

Any suggestions?
The first question you should answer is: How do you intend to use your AR?

If you intend to use the AR basically for home defense and other short-range shooting, I recommend a 1:1 red dot sight along with "co-witnessed" iron sights. If you intend to do only long-range shooting, another option may be better.

For the "best of both worlds", I use an EOTech red dot sight (1:1 - no magnification at all) with an EOTech 3X magnifier behind it. The magnifier can be flipped out of the way for in-close shooting but it really helps at longer distances. The combination definitely isn't inexpensive but it's a fantastic package to use.

Little99703

Hunter
Dec 8, 2016
Cartersville
Zip code
Basically short range. I currently have the magpul flip up front and rear. If I ended up going with the EOTech would it get in the way of the flip up sights?

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
Basically short range. I currently have the magpul flip up front and rear. If I ended up going with the EOTech would it get in the way of the flip up sights?
This really depends on the set up of your flip up sights. The type of EOTech sight would determine that.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Personally I prefer a traditional style scope, not a red dot. A 1-6x that I can shoot with both eyes open at 7 yards out to 600 is probably my favorite set up for an AR.

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
Vortex StrikeFire 2 or a Strike Eagle is what I like. Close up to 100 yards the StrikeFire will do perfect. It's nice because it does red or green dot. Really accurate too. I like mine. If shooting 100+ yards Strike Eagle. Just my .02. I've never shot an Aimpoint or EOtech.

Reactions: Little99703

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
If you will never shoot over 25 yds then the red dot is fine. You can always buy a scope later if you want. Scopes and red dots move okay on here if you need to sell red dot to fund a scope.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
The thing about using the EOTech red-dot sight that I find absolutely amazing is the fact that I can easily keep both eyes open (which allows me to see a LOT more around me than keeping one eye closed) and when I put the rifle up to my shoulder, the red dot superimposes itself on my two-eye vision and allows me to train the rifle on a target several times faster than with normal one-eye range sighting technique. This is, of course, with the magnifier out of the way and using the sight's 1:1 image. It's simply amazing how fast I can acquire a target that's anywhere around me with the rig I have.

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
The thing about using the EOTech red-dot sight that I find absolutely amazing is the fact that I can easily keep both eyes open (which allows me to see a LOT more around me than keeping one eye closed) and when I put the rifle up to my shoulder, the red dot superimposes itself on my two-eye vision and allows me to train the rifle on a target several times faster than with normal one-eye range sighting technique. This is, of course, with the magnifier out of the way and using the sight's 1:1 image. It's simply amazing how fast I can acquire a target that's anywhere around me with the rig I have.

That's why I like EOTech's so much. You get a lot larger FOV than any other red dot out there. The down side is you get a lot more weight too though.

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
Reactions: Little99703