American Revival Apparel Company

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
Only way I'd ever have a x39 AR is if I got a CMMG Mutant or PSA KS-47. Those x39 AR mags just look weird as hell in a regular AR lower, and the mags aren't reliable.

My specialty ARs have 15 or less round mags for shooting bench and prone or hunting. So no need to worry bout bananas in my tailpipe.

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
.458 socom

After seeing @Mac11FA and his Thumper I thought about that too however for me to use my can it has to be 18” barrel and I have an 18” 223 Wylde I’m happy with but they can be heavy especially adding optics cause I use carry handle and FSB on that one

Reactions: Laufen

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
alright so i own both along with 300, 9mm, and regular 223/556 ar’s.

i have taken four deer with the 6.8 and in my opinion it’s a fantastic mid-sized deer hunting caliber that’ll fit through an ar-15 magwell. none of those deer ran more than 20 yards. i hunt over fields that range out to 300 yards but i’ve never shot at one more than 100. the 6.8 is purpose-built for an ar-15. components from a quality manufacturer will work reliably but a couple of downsides: ammo cost and speciality bolts/mags. if you are shooting 200 rounds per weekend, it will be costly at ~$0.60 per round for the cheapest range ammo that i’ve found. if you reload, 6.8 is an excellent option because it uses .277 bullets i think the same as 270 winchester (i don’t load my own so this needs to be fact checked). there are a number of great factory deer hunting ammo choice available.

i also own an x39 setup that i recently built. range ammo is much cheaper but some mags offer less than perfect reliability. i haven’t deer hunted with it yet but it should probably get the job done with well-placed shots and specialty ammo. i wouldn’t trust my life to this rifle because i’m not confident it will go bang every time i pull the trigger. like the 6.8, it uses unique mags and a special bolt. you won’t find the selection of deer hunting ammo like you would for the 6.8 but they do exist.

for suppression - neither are going to be all that great with factory ammo. for a worst case scenario, i would rather have my 6.8 rifle for reliability but it would be costly to acquire the ammo necessary to stack high and deep. also allegedly 6.8 bolts will not last as long as 5.56 bolts due to “less metal” to accommodate the larger case. ditto for x39 bolts.

i own two 300 setups as well. you have the benefit there of standard bolts, mags, and components save for the barrel and muzzle device. also you can get much better sound suppression with sub-sonic ammo although your zero will be off versus the ammo you’ll want to use hunting. i don’t believe that the 300 even in supersonic loads will equal the ballistics you’ll get from 6.8 past 200-300 yards.

in a worst case scenario, i would want my 5.56 ar-15 or my x39 ak. i’m not sure either of the options you’re asking about would be my first choice.

these are some of my thoughts and i’m by no means an expert.

Reactions: Red Dawn

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
I love my AR15 in 7.62x39. I have 300 blackout, .223/556 as well as 5.7x28. If I were to hunt with one of them it would be the 7.62x39 as I have a 7.62 can. I have one for each caliber but for truly quiet suppression it would have to be the 300 blackout with subs.

It all depends on the range and the game. I have never taken a deer past 125 yards and to be honest one should never have to. It is really not sporting as if you only wound the animal there is a good chance you could lose it or gut shoot it.

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
alright so i own both along with 300, 9mm, and regular 223/556 ar’s.

i have taken four deer with the 6.8 and in my opinion it’s a fantastic mid-sized deer hunting caliber that’ll fit through an ar-15 magwell. none of those deer ran more than 20 yards. i hunt over fields that range out to 300 yards but i’ve never shot at one more than 100. the 6.8 is purpose-built for an ar-15. components from a quality manufacturer will work reliably but a couple of downsides: ammo cost and speciality bolts/mags. if you are shooting 200 rounds per weekend, it will be costly at ~$0.60 per round for the cheapest range ammo that i’ve found. if you reload, 6.8 is an excellent option because it uses .277 bullets i think the same as 270 winchester (i don’t load my own so this needs to be fact checked). there are a number of great factory deer hunting ammo choice available.

i also own an x39 setup that i recently built. range ammo is much cheaper but some mags offer less than perfect reliability. i haven’t deer hunted with it yet but it should probably get the job done with well-placed shots and specialty ammo. i wouldn’t trust my life to this rifle because i’m not confident it will go bang every time i pull the trigger. like the 6.8, it uses unique mags and a special bolt. you won’t find the selection of deer hunting ammo like you would for the 6.8 but they do exist.

for suppression - neither are going to be all that great with factory ammo. for a worst case scenario, i would rather have my 6.8 rifle for reliability but it would be costly to acquire the ammo necessary to stack high and deep. also allegedly 6.8 bolts will not last as long as 5.56 bolts due to “less metal” to accommodate the larger case. ditto for x39 bolts.

i own two 300 setups as well. you have the benefit there of standard bolts, mags, and components save for the barrel and muzzle device. also you can get much better sound suppression with sub-sonic ammo although your zero will be off versus the ammo you’ll want to use hunting. i don’t believe that the 300 even in supersonic loads will equal the ballistics you’ll get from 6.8 past 200-300 yards.

in a worst case scenario, i would want my 5.56 ar-15 or my x39 ak. i’m not sure either of the options you’re asking about would be my first choice.

these are some of my thoughts and i’m by no means an expert.

You made really good points about both thanks @boss_hawg

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
Only way I'd ever have a x39 AR is if I got a CMMG Mutant or PSA KS-47. Those x39 AR mags just look weird as hell in a regular AR lower, and the mags aren't reliable.
I run the ASC mags and haven't had any failures yet suppressed or unsuppressed.

Reactions: SouthernSlammed

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
wHy dON't u JusT gET aN aK???

The AK feels awkward when I shoot it maybe the balance and length of pull I guess.
I like the AR better and it’s more comfortable plus I shoot it more accurately.

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
There's just something about an unreliable AR!!!

I’m wondering if that can be adjusted with the right springs or buffer to eliminate any unreliability but the only way to figure that out is trial and error. Especially when you Frankinbuild like I do.

Leadhoof

Dumb Bottom
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 20, 2017
Florida
e621.net
Zip code
The AK feels awkward when I shoot it maybe the balance and length of pull I guess.
I like the AR better and it’s more comfortable plus I shoot it more accurately.

There are plenty of upgrades on the market to make it a more comfortable gun to shoot.

But I'm biased and this is America, so go ahead and do whatever the hell you want.

karlvv

The LEGEND
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 3, 2015
Harlem, GA
Zip code
I run the ASC mags and haven't had any failures yet suppressed or unsuppressed.

I had bad luck with asc mags. I ordered 4 and only 3 showed up. Then one of the mags came apart and I couldn't find the spring. Then one of the other 2 likes to stop feeding with 2 rounds left in it. I'm going to try some promags next.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I had bad luck with asc mags. I ordered 4 and only 3 showed up. Then one of the mags came apart and I couldn't find the spring. Then one of the other 2 likes to stop feeding with 2 rounds left in it. I'm going to try some promags next.
Is this a joke post?

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
I’m wondering if that can be adjusted with the right springs or buffer to eliminate any unreliability but the only way to figure that out is trial and error. Especially when you Frankinbuild like I do.
I need to let you try out my 7.62 build. I am thinking about trying the Armaspec captured buffer in it. Damn I need a range day

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
I need to let you try out my 7.62 build. I am thinking about trying the Armaspec captured buffer in it. Damn I need a range day

Then that would require not working one day to do that. And I have some ammo for too btw lol

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
Then that would require not working one day to do that. And I have some ammo for too btw lol
Absolutely. I only worked till 3:30 PM today but resting up for next week. They are starting phase 2 at work and we have the smoke test tomorrow from 10 to 7. I am looking to take eithe Thur or Friday off next week. I got plenty of ammo and mags. I think you will like it. I have that Black Spider 1x4 x24 I won from here mounted on it and the sandman makes it even better.