Anyone teach hand to hand combat in addition to ccw

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

Hawkeye

Hunter
Feb 8, 2016
I'll be taking my first CCW class this weekend and in addition to it the instructor said if he has time he will teach us some basic hand to hand combat techniques. Is this normal for CCW classes? Do we need to know this stuff to complete the course and get the certificate? Is this stuff I should be practicing along with my shooting?

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
No, there is absolutely no requirement to learn unarmed fighting techniques to obtain your concealed carry permit...according to the State of Ohio. However, if this instructor decides that you receiving your certificate of completion is dependent on doing this hand to hand stuff.....he could theoretically not give you a certificate, which means you can't apply for your permit. My GUESS.....it is just something he is going to show you in addition to, as going to the gun isn't always the best option. We teach some hand to hand in upper levels mostly as a means to weapons retention or making space between you and the adversary, not as part of a entry level class.