AAR: Combat Carbine Teamwork by Precision Applications

American Revival Apparel Company

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
Not an expert by any means, so I'm asking to learn.

What is the downside to holding the rifle with your support hand and keeping it against the shoulder so you can use closest hand to grab the mag?

Obviously your fix is better, but is there a real downside to that method over switching the rifle back to the strong side?

Nothing wrong with that, it's a viable option. Tactics and techniques is a game of pros and cons.

What I was concerned was with the buttstock in my support shoulder, and wearing hard plates, when I started using that support arm and making motions with it; how well was my buttstock going to stay in place? My carbine mags are in-line with my hip bone and behind it. So, my left arm would reach down and possibly slightly back. This turns the shoulder and you lose your "pocket" where your buttstock rests. Or, if you're wearing a carrier, that flat spot it sets in is now angled towards the rear. Either way, not conducive to keeping the buttstock in place.

Definitely something to try on the flat range, or at home with dummy rounds, to see how well it works. Other than that, it's just conjecture on my part.

When my Option B failed, my brain reset and went straight to my Option A: Standard Reload.

Reactions: Leshaire

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
The Blue Force Gear Vickers sling is what I use in a 2-point....has the features you're referring to.

You'll buy the gear you THINK will work for you. Then you run it a while, and find it doesn't work for you. So, you sell it as a loss and buy something else. Repeat numerous times u til you find what works for YOU. Been there, done that.

I haven't changed my kit in 6 years. I know what works for me. However, during this class I was shooting a demo and had an issue I had never thought of, or had occur before. This made me make a minor tweak to how I carry my primary weapon reloads.

That's the sling I'm going to buy, except I'm getting the one that can convert to single point as well. I may find I don't like the single point but it's not much more and I'll have both options.

Reactions: cmshoot

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Nothing wrong with that, it's a viable option. Tactics and techniques is a game of pros and cons.

What I was concerned was with the buttstock in my support shoulder, and wearing hard plates, when I started using that support arm and making motions with it; how well was my buttstock going to stay in place? My carbine mags are in-line with my hip bone and behind it. So, my left arm would reach down and possibly slightly back. This turns the shoulder and you lose your "pocket" where your buttstock rests. Or, if you're wearing a carrier, that flat spot it sets in is now angled towards the rear. Either way, not conducive to keeping the buttstock in place.

Definitely something to try on the flat range, or at home with dummy rounds, to see how well it works. Other than that, it's just conjecture on my part.

When my Option B failed, my brain reset and went straight to my Option A: Standard Reload.

Thanks for the feedback, I've never shot wearing a plate carrier so I never thought about how it would effect movement.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
That's the sling I'm going to buy, except I'm getting the one that can convert to single point as well. I may find I don't like the single point but it's not much more and I'll have both options.
Reid Hendrich has a good YouTube video on comparing the two.

Sent from my Obamaphone on Tapatalk

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
@Leshaire i meant to ask. Do you have any pictures of your plate carrier and chest rig set up? We were talking before the class about it and I was asking about and concern with the chest rig moving too much not being attached to the carrier.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
@Leshaire i meant to ask. Do you have any pictures of your plate carrier and chest rig set up? We were talking before the class about it and I was asking about and concern with the chest rig moving too much not being attached to the carrier.
Oh crap you know what I thought that was you but I forgot to ever actually take a pic! Remind me one of these days when its evening time so Im home and can go do it haha.

Reactions: AtlMedic

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
But yeah I love it. Its sooo nice to know that I can also discretely rock those plates if needed!

Reactions: AtlMedic