AAR: Combat Carbine Teamwork by Precision Applications

American Revival Apparel Company

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
So this weekend I took the Combat Carbine Teamwork course with Rob Shepard (Shep) and his assistant Darren something (Jump) out in Jefferson on a badass private range.

The course description is as follows:

All drills will be running as 2-man teams, with some of the drills towards the end of the day being composed of larger teams.

Topics covered will include, but may not be limited to:
Shooting while moving
Team communications
Covered movement
Fire & maneuver
Cover drills when dealing with reloads, malfunctions or weapon transitions
Proper uses of cover/concealment with multiple operators
Break contact
"Man down" drills
Reaction to vehicle ambush

__________________REVIEW_____________________

Instructors:
So to start my absolute favorite part was Shep's mindset. His mindset is a real world do not get yourself killed, fuck all the rules and put bad guys in the dirt, PERIOD. He specifically talked about what other instructors teach and how they tell you to shoot exactly X amount of rounds and stand or kneel in exactly a certain way, while Shep says that leaves training scars. He insists on you doing what you need to do to LIVE whether that means kneeling the way you're told or how youre going to place rounds in the bad guy the fastest and most accurately, and also shoot the bad guy until hes in the dirt whether that takes two bullets or a mag full... I liked that mindset a lot.

Class:
The class was relatively small, 14 of the 20 showed, so we got a reasonable amount of attention and shoot time in. I felt like the rules and safety guidelines were clearly expressed before we got started. I was a little weary of a few people there but never felt in danger or anything. When the time came for the instructors to step in they did, and not in a way to embarrass anyone, but rather a nudge one way or the other if they were getting to a point of doing something unsafe. They also would screw with us to make us handle issues while trying to put rounds down range. For instance theyd click your mag release, take your optic off your gun, turn your optic off, or even put a round backwards in your mag lol. I liked that drill because we had to deal with something wrong, and we all pretty much always expect our gear to work perfectly. I feel that both instructors did a great job overall.

A private range in Jefferson was sued that was super nice. It was on 180 acres and was just big rolling green hills with a nice big lake and all. The target area and berm were nice and in good shape. They also provided two large tents and some tables for shade and seating which was nice.

Knowledge:
Shep and Jump seemed VERY comfortable together as a team and clearly had done a lot of training (or real life) work together. Apparently they both have 20 plus years in service including tours and are contracted out by the military, FBI and Police to do trainings, as well as being police officers for years as well. They had great insight about most everything. Once thing that stuck out to me was when each team of two was shooting from behind vertical cover, and they said to get close and personal with your partner, to the point of whoever was standing had their knee int he persons kneeling's back. This was interesting because the kneeler knew their partner was shooting right above their head and even if they did try and stand up under stress or whatever they wouldnt be standing up into the muzzle of the person standing. Just little things like this made me realize they had actually done this kind of thing enough times to really know about good little tidbits that make a difference. The stories they had also sounded like they have had a lot of actual action, not just a couple dry tours overseas or passing out speeding tickets...

Value:
At $200 for a full one day course, I felt the price was very reasonable. Competing courses are typically $450-500 for two days, so its less than most others I have seen.

Cons:
I wish we would have shot more. I didnt even shoot 500 rounds and we were told to bring 650, or more if we are trigger happy. I feel like we sat around talking a lot, but not course specific stuff, just kind of people shooting the shit, but not shooting their guns. We also never shot past like 25 ish yards, which was disappointing.

IMG_3587.JPG
IMG_3682.jpg

Last edited:

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
Glad ya had a good thing and picked up a few things. That is one of my favorite courses to teach.
When will you do this one again? I saw your other sniper course, but I cannot do $600 right now, even though it sounds fun as hell! lol

Reactions: Leshaire

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Yep! I taught this class, with the assistance of one of my Instructors, Darron.

hopefully Ill be able to take a class with yall sometime. I looked at your site, what prerequisites do yall require for the carbine class?

scand

I like parsley
Dec 15, 2015
Moreland/Newnan
Zip code
I definitely want to take this course in the near future. So many people buy AR's/AK's thinking of SHTF scenarios, but never get any training on how to use said devices in such situations. Thanks for the write-up Leshaire.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
I definitely want to take this course in the near future. So many people buy AR's/AK's thinking of SHTF scenarios, but never get any training on how to use said devices in such situations. Thanks for the write-up Leshaire.
Funny I posted this months ago and it just got seen lol...

PS: Borrow one of my rifles instead of taking that Sport ;)

Reactions: scand

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
So it was based around two person tactics? How did they pick which two people to work together?
Most everyone showed up with a partner. I did. I think there might have been like two guys max that didnt have partners and they obviously were paired together.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Most everyone showed up with a partner. I did. I think there might have been like two guys max that didnt have partners and they obviously were paired together.

Thanks for the info, I think I'd be much more comfortable doing that kind of class with someone I know. I don't think I'd want a stranger shooting that close to me unless I got lucky and they were former special forces or something like that.

I really can't wait to take some classes. What equipment did you use? I'm still trying to plan out what I'm going to buy to use for classes as far as ways to carry mags, lights, etc...

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Thanks for the info, I think I'd be much more comfortable doing that kind of class with someone I know. I don't think I'd want a stranger shooting that close to me unless I got lucky and they were former special forces or something like that.

I really can't wait to take some classes. What equipment did you use? I'm still trying to plan out what I'm going to buy to use for classes as far as ways to carry mags, lights, etc...
Haha I definitely dont blame you. I picked the one buddy I'd actually go into battle with. The only one lol...

I ran an AK since I WAS partial to that platform at the time. I am having issues nowadays though after learning that the ergos really do make a big difference for me in efficiency and speed. It was a 16" in 762x39 with a two point sling (that I found out was too short for me to transition to my weak side). I ran a super discreet low profile plate carrier with some hard plates (level III i think), and a chest rig over the top of that with 6 rifle mag holsters (ended up only carrying like 3 at a time though since we were able to re up so often) and 6 pistol mags. It was from amazon, I can go find it if youd like. It held up very nice though and seems to be very good quality. In my chest rig I also had a tourniquet, quick clot, bandage wrap, a sharpie, small scissors etc. I ran an OWB pistol holster and OWB double mag holster that I made.

Only thing I'd do differently is a longer and quick adjustable sling (not sure of vernacular here but the ones with the pull tab to lengthen/shorten in a split second), and I'd probably run an AR to find out what rifle platform I really prefer.

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
The Blue Force Gear Vickers sling is what I use in a 2-point....has the features you're referring to.

You'll buy the gear you THINK will work for you. Then you run it a while, and find it doesn't work for you. So, you sell it as a loss and buy something else. Repeat numerous times u til you find what works for YOU. Been there, done that.

I haven't changed my kit in 6 years. I know what works for me. However, during this class I was shooting a demo and had an issue I had never thought of, or had occur before. This made me make a minor tweak to how I carry my primary weapon reloads.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
The Blue Force Gear Vickers sling is what I use in a 2-point....has the features you're referring to.

You'll buy the gear you THINK will work for you. Then you run it a while, and find it doesn't work for you. So, you sell it as a loss and buy something else. Repeat numerous times u til you find what works for YOU. Been there, done that.

I haven't changed my kit in 6 years. I know what works for me. However, during this class I was shooting a demo and had an issue I had never thought of, or had occur before. This made me make a minor tweak to how I carry my primary weapon reloads.
Oh I learned a lot and changed a few things up.

I recall precisely what it was. A reload while shooting on your non dominant side after your mags on your chest rig were out. Better to figure it out then than in an actual shitty scenario...

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
Oh I learned a lot and changed a few things up.

I recall precisely what it was. A reload while shooting on your non dominant side after your mags on your chest rig were out. Better to figure it out then than in an actual shitty scenario...

That was it! I was shooting on the support side of cover and tried to do a "left-handed" reload. My right hand couldn't reach my spare mags on my belt with my plate carrier on. I had to swap my carbine back to strong-side, reload, and transition back to support-side. Too much time and movement. Easy fix; now I always carry at least 1 spare mag in the center of my carrier and use it as my last resort reload.

I like when I encounter little situations like that. Keeps you from becoming complacent.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
That was it! I was shooting on the support side of cover and tried to do a "left-handed" reload. My right hand couldn't reach my spare mags on my belt with my plate carrier on. I had to swap my carbine back to strong-side, reload, and transition back to support-side. Too much time and movement. Easy fix; now I always carry at least 1 spare mag in the center of my carrier and use it as my last resort reload.

I like when I encounter little situations like that. Keeps you from becoming complacent.

Not an expert by any means, so I'm asking to learn.

What is the downside to holding the rifle with your support hand and keeping it against the shoulder so you can use closest hand to grab the mag?

Obviously your fix is better, but is there a real downside to that method over switching the rifle back to the strong side?