You know you're a Mall Ninja when...

American Revival Apparel Company

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
I have been wanting a new scope for my bolt action 223. I'm poor and the cheapest reliable scope that I have tried and liked is an swfa ss but I really want it in 20x to shoot long range. So I'm thinking about mounting a red dot on top of the scope ring. Has anyone tried something like that?

I've made shoots out to 700 yards using a 4x and 6x scope, you don't need that much magnification because of the ballistic limits of .223.

The problem with mounting a red dot to the top of the scope ring is that it's so high above bore. Cheek weld would be impossible and if you zeroed at a close distance it would be artillery like ballistics.

Reactions: DTW762

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
I have been wanting a new scope for my bolt action 223. I'm poor and the cheapest reliable scope that I have tried and liked is an swfa ss but I really want it in 20x to shoot long range. So I'm thinking about mounting a red dot on top of the scope ring. Has anyone tried something like that?

I've made shoots out to 700 yards using a 4x and 6x scope, you don't need that much magnification because of the ballistic limits of .223.

The problem with mounting a red dot to the top of the scope ring is that it's so high above bore. Cheek weld would be impossible and if you zeroed at a close distance it would be artillery like ballistics.

Jacob Villers

Woodsman
Aug 16, 2015
Elizabeth WV
The red dot would only be used for 50ish yard shots to kill deer. I'm sadly addicted to magnification. I like punching paper sometimes and have a hard time with my 14x.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Yeah, don't waste your money on mounting a red dot sight all the way up on top of your scope. It's the same problem those awful see through rings have..zero cheek weld. No cheek weld equals crap accuracy, not to mention the red dot would be a mile above the bore axis.

How far is "long range"? If you want cheap and high power, you're going to get junk. Go lower power, and better quality especially if you'll be shooting inside 300 yards and non-competitively. If not, save your bucks for a while and get something that won't be worse than irons.

There aren't any deals in optics. It's truly a "get what you pay for" consumer good.

Reactions: DTW762 and AtlMedic

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I have had some decent optics ($750ish) but this is a prove em wrong gun. It's dirt cheap, cheap ammo, cheap glass and rings.
The further you push the distance you're shooting, the more chance they'll have at proving themselves "right".
There will be innate shortcomings with cheap ammo, glass, and rings especially at a distance. The biggest issue will be repeatable and consistent accuracy. You might find the occasional acorn, but you won't be able to do it with any regularity...depending on your expectations of course.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Jesus how far are you trying to shoot

Reactions: Laufen

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Jesus how far are you trying to shoot
lol, back when I had my .50 LAR Grizzly, the majority of big bore shooters used 15x at 1000 yards. It was enough.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
lol, back when I had my .50 LAR Grizzly, the majority of big bore shooters used 15x at 1000 yards.
Hell my hands arnt steady enough to have my 4x9 turned all the way up. My next scope will probably just be a fixed 4x.

Screw shooting 1000yards

Sent from my penis using Tapatalk

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Hell my hands arnt steady enough to have my 4x9 turned all the way up. My next scope will probably just be a fixed 4x.

Screw shooting 1000yards

Sent from my penis using Tapatalk
We were just shooting gongs. That's a hell of a lot more fun than paper, mainly because you only care about hits and not group size. Target shooting can get too much like golf, you can never have a perfect game and you always leave the range feeling like you could've done better. Steel is just less judgmental.

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
The guy I know that shoots long distance competitions, 1000 yards and further, uses a fixed 10x.

I'm buddies with several CMP and Highpower shooters that shoot 600 yards with irons in prone without any rests. I'm fairly consistent at 400 yards, less so at 500 yards, shooting prone with irons.

Trying to shoot a 10" target at 1000 is pointless if you can't shoot less than an inch at 100. MOA is MOA no matter the distance, at least within the ballistic capabilities of the round you're shooting.

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
We were just shooting gongs. That's a hell of a lot more fun than paper, mainly because you only care about hits and not group size. Target shooting can get too much like golf, you can never have a perfect game and you always leave the range feeling like you could've done better. Steel is just less judgmental.

Nothing better than bang..................ding.

Jacob Villers

Woodsman
Aug 16, 2015
Elizabeth WV
So far I have gotten 7/8" groups at 100 with $7 a box ammo. I'm in the process of bedding and lapping. I know the cheap ammo is probably gonna start to unravel at 300. In the next couple weeks I will punch paper at 300 and 500 yards to see how bad it is. I have made regular hits with it at 500 on 10" steel. Not every time but regularly. This shocked the cap out of me considering that right now it has a $180 sightmark on it lol.

Reactions: freedom

Jacob Villers

Woodsman
Aug 16, 2015
Elizabeth WV
The further you push the distance you're shooting, the more chance they'll have at proving themselves "right".
There will be innate shortcomings with cheap ammo, glass, and rings especially at a distance. The biggest issue will be repeatable and consistent accuracy. You might find the occasional acorn, but you won't be able to do it with any regularity...depending on your expectations of course.

I'm hoping to have it hit minute of person at 750. 2.5 ish MOA. It is a 223 so wind will be a HUGE factor and the combination may not even be capable of that but we will see.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I'm hoping to have it hit minute of person at 750. 2.5 ish MOA. It is a 223 so wind will be a HUGE factor and the combination may not even be capable of that but we will see.
You'll be looking at nearly 20 FEET of drop at 750.

Jacob Villers

Woodsman
Aug 16, 2015
Elizabeth WV
20.583. But that sounds like fun. The real pain will be wind. If I can get a camera rigged up I'll take videos of shooting my 22 at 500. I don't know how much drop it is but Im guessing it's somewhere above 50 feet judging by the telephone poles.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
  • brother, do what you want. But spending money on a rifle that MIGHT hit what you want at 750 yards seems like less fun than building a rifle that WILL hit in a good group at 100 or even maybe 300.
with a cheap rifle,scope,rings,ammo I dont even know if youll be able to get it on target with that much drop.