XDS 45ACP

Faktory 47

Uncle George

Don't leave home without it.
Jun 10, 2012
Austin and Gomorrah
Went to my local gun store Monday at 11:30 am. They got 4 of them in that morning. All 3 of the blue ones were already gone, just the two-tone was left. Don't remember how much more they wanted for it but was more'n I want to pay, so maybe next time. Held, carressed, drooled and fondled the pistol and tried the trigger, sold me! 8)

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
Trigger_1 said:
He must be busy making a holster for it....... :D

Yes, very busy making holsters. And most of them are for the new XDS. I got the gun and posted some pics, then went on vacation for a week. That was pretty stupid in hind sight. Got lots of orders the week I was off and they continue to come in. Maybe this weekend a trip to the range. Feel a little guilty playing with my gun when someone is waiting for me to make their holster.

Pops, very close in size as the LC9. I find the grip to be slightly bigger (in girth) than the LC9.

IWB black horse hide with a chocolate alligator accent.
IMG_2121.jpg

IMG_2122.jpg

Front pocket natural horse hide (not dyed) with chocolate alligator accent/push off.
IMG_2128.jpg

M

mukwah

Have you had a chance to make any changes to that LC9 crossdraw?

Pops

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Maine
LWS380 very nice holsters. So the XDS can be pocket carried? There I go again getting drool on my computer screen. ::)

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
Pops said:
LWS380 very nice holsters. So the XDS can be pocket carried? There I go again getting drool on my computer screen. ::)

In a larger pocket it can. Regular jeans (mine)--no way. It will take a cargo pocket or tactical pants/shorts to work IMO. I think IWB is the best option for me and will be my preferred carry method. Just like my LC9!

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
Here is an OWB I made for the XDS
IMG_2193.jpg

And this one is horse hide with black shark accent/reinforcement. It is dyed with light brown dye, but is darker than light brown, because horse hide is naturally darker than cow hide from the get go. Light brown dye on cow hide gives you a tan color and on horse hide gives you as shown here.
IMG_2220.jpg

IMG_2226.jpg

M

mukwah

Real purty holsters there lws380! Your attention to detail is superb!

Gealousy

Hunter
Jun 9, 2012
mayonardo said:
Don't want to raise the old caliber argument (too many variables mixed with personal preferences makes it a waste of time anyway) but MSRP of almost $100 more than an SR1911?

I'd rather have the Ruger.

YMMV

Mayo.
iPhone & Tapatalk
My LGS quoted $550 on the XDS. What are you finding SR1911's going for?

- Gealousy

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
mayonardo said:
Don't want to raise the old caliber argument (too many variables mixed with personal preferences makes it a waste of time anyway) but MSRP of almost $100 more than an SR1911?

I'd rather have the Ruger.

YMMV

Mayo.
iPhone & Tapatalk

Mayo,

You lost me on this one. Both the XDS and SR1911 are .45 caliber. What caliber war?

Now, size war may be appropriate. I'll add my 2 cents on that. IMO, if you wanted a good range shooter the SR1911 is a good option. Or heck just to have a 1911 is a good idea and fun to shoot. I have a full size 1911, its just a Springer 5" and shoots great and fun to shoot. I can carry it IWB, but need a large lose shirt to conceal. Much harder to conceal than the XDS.

The XDS is essentially the size of an LC9, which makes it very concealable, just like my LC9. I'd say the XDS is kinda like an LC9 on steroids in that you get a close in size gun in the XDS, but .45 caliber and 2 less rounds with the 5 round mag. There is a 7 round mag available for the XDS which gives you 8 of .45 caliber.

To me if you want to carry a .45 that is very concealable the XDS is a good consideration. Better than a full size 1911 from the concealable point of view. And if a budget is not a concern get them all, I did, and like the options. Options are good!

mayonardo

What Would Paladin Do?
Oops... Was thinking of the differences between the 9mm and the .45 calibers. I've been reading some informed pieces on that and agree with the view that having more rounds to shoot and hitting what you shoot at is more effective than just the size of the projectile. And, there isn't much of a size difference really.

I am now using my SR9c as my main carry gun, with eleven rounds on board, along with the LCP when I want a BUG. The LCP makes a good around the house carry too. With an XDS I would effectively be trading the same size and round capacity of the LC9 for a short barrel .45 and about 0.07" of increased projectile size.

I like .45s. I carried a Model 1911 off and on in the Navy over an eight year period and maintained combat qualification with the Marine Corps for that arm. It is one of my favorites, but that said, I would take a full size .45 over a small one. I am familiar with it and I shoot it well, which is the main point for me.

I'm not putting down the XDS. I'm sure it is a fine gun, but guns are personal things and better suited for some than others.

Best of luck with yours.

Mayonardo
iPad & Tapatalk