Faktory 47

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
Anybody have any experience with these little pocket rockets? I kinda want one for deep concealment, but have neglected them because of the wonky grip texture. With the newer Mod 2 version I kinda want to give one a go for the super hot summer months.

I'm going to buy an XD-E 45 after @Hoss review, but even it may prove a bit too large for some situations. I will get a P365 once Quantico has them in stock for military pricing, but for now want to stick with .45 if possible.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
Anybody have any experience with these little pocket rockets? I kinda want one for deep concealment, but have neglected them because of the wonky grip texture. With the newer Mod 2 version I kinda want to give one a go for the super hot summer months.

I'm going to buy an XD-E 45 after @Hoss review, but even it may prove a bit too large for some situations. I will get a P365 once Quantico has them in stock for military pricing, but for now want to stick with .45 if possible.
I had one for a long while and didnt hate it at all. Shoots pretty damn good for a pocket pistol in 45. Conceals great. Kind of crappy ergo for larger hands. 100% flawless reliability through something like 1200 rounds too.

Reactions: Shemp

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
I have one on 9mm now, and had one in .45 a while back. I liked the .45 a lot more than I do the 9. I think they could have made the 9 smaller instead of just a smaller bore diameter. For the size, it's about the smallest .45 that you're gonna find that I'd trust to run reliably. The .45 shot great too. It's VERY controllable, especially considering its size.

Reactions: Shemp

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
It's on my short list. I tried to like the G36 and G30S, but both are far too large for what they are, IMO.

Reactions: dial1911 and Jake

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
In cooler months I carry a RIA compact 1911 in .45acp.

Cause 1911. And .45.

But I've shot the first gen XDS and they are great little guns. I would definitely consider them if I didn't love my little Rock.

Reactions: Shemp and Jake

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
In cooler months I carry a RIA compact 1911 in .45acp.

Cause 1911. And .45.

But I've shot the first gen XDS and they are great little guns. I would definitely consider them if I didn't love my little Rock.

We'll have to get together and hit the range and you can try out the 9 compared to my old .45. And you can try my LCP II also. I've been wanting to shoot my LCP II next to your 2nd Gen LCP anyways. Maybe we can talk @Rwjeter into coming too and bringing his LCP custom and shoot all 3 side-by-side.

Reactions: Hayata and Rwjeter

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
We'll have to get together and hit the range and you can try out the 9 compared to my old .45. And you can try my LCP II also. I've been wanting to shoot my LCP II next to your 2nd Gen LCP anyways. Maybe we can talk @Rwjeter into coming too and bringing his LCP custom and shoot all 3 side-by-side.
Word.

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
Bad form factor, overly aggressive tactitard grip texture, and its significantly more as they NEED apex triggers

I used to have a shield and the trigger definitely sucked. I didn't really think the texture was too aggressive, but at the time I was carrying a 1911 with VZ Simonich Gunner grips that were like a cheese grater, so anything felt better than those. I finger banged a new Shield 2.0 the other day at Hi Caliber and the triggers on the new ones definitely feel better than the older ones. They could still use an Apex trigger, but I don't think it's necessary like it used to be on the older ones.

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
@ArtVandelay have you fondled the Mod 2 XDs? I actually prefer the first gen XDs over the Mod 2. I don't like the finger grooves on the Mod 2. They are very subtle, but when gripping the gun you can definitely feel them. They don't fit my hand very well. I'm not too crazy about the grip texture on the first gen either, but I'm gonna put a set of Talon rubber grips on it and it'll solve that issue. I really like the rubber Talon grips. I have a set on my LCP II and I bought a few blanks and wrapped my 2 EDC Microtech's in them too. They have updated the glue or whatever it is that they use and they stick a lot better than the old formula that they were using. @Leshaire made me a holster for my LCP II and it didn't shift or peel at all even when heated like he said that they probably would.

SmartSelect_20180420-114239_Samsung Internet.jpg

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
@ArtVandelay have you fondled the Mod 2 XDs? I actually prefer the first gen XDs over the Mod 2. I don't like the finger grooves on the Mod 2. They are very subtle, but when gripping the gun you can definitely feel them. They don't fit my hand very well. I'm not too crazy about the grip texture on the first gen either, but I'm gonna put a set of Talon rubber grips on it and it'll solve that issue. I really like the rubber Talon grips. I have a set on my LCP II and I bought a few blanks and wrapped my 2 EDC Microtech's in them too. They have updated the glue or whatever it is that they use and they stick a lot better than the old formula that they were using. @Leshaire made me a holster for my LCP II and it didn't shift or peel at all even when heated like he said that they probably would.

View attachment 37780

I have fondled the Mod 2 and liked it quite a bit. I don't actively dislike the mod 1, but between the two I'd take the Mod 2 if they were the same price. However, I haven't felt a Mod 1 with the Talon grips.

I'm really torn between the XDS and XDE for summer carry. The XDS is slightly cheaper, but I prefer hammer guns when possible.

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
I have fondled the Mod 2 and liked it quite a bit. I don't actively dislike the mod 1, but between the two I'd take the Mod 2 if they were the same price. However, I haven't felt a Mod 1 with the Talon grips.

I'm really torn between the XDS and XDE for summer carry. The XDS is slightly cheaper, but I prefer hammer guns when possible.

I read a good review on the XDs vs the XDe the other day. Let me see if I can find it...

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
interesting....

I emphatically do not want to go wider than 1" . I know myself well enough to know that even guns only slightly wider get left at home too often.

Yep. I'm the same way. I have gotten lazy and 99.999% of the time have been carrying my LCP just because it's so small. I just refuse to carry anything much bigger. The XDs is probably the biggest gun I'll carry now.

Reactions: Hayata and Shemp

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
Well, after handling the XDS and XDE side by side this is what I came home with.

0420181819_HDR.jpg

Reactions: Hayata and Jake

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
Good choice. I used to have that exact gun, bitone and all.
I really like Bitone.

I handled an XD Mod 2 compact as well, and really liked it. I held off on buying it, and now that I'm reading the internet I'm not sure if I should. Apparently XDs fall apart with any hard use, possibly even looking at it too hard. I'm going to start another thread on XD reliability

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
I really like Bitone.

I handled an XD Mod 2 compact as well, and really liked it. I held off on buying it, and now that I'm reading the internet I'm not sure if I should. Apparently XDs fall apart with any hard use, possibly even looking at it too hard. I'm going to start another thread on XD reliability

I put probably around 700 rounds or so through my old XDs .45 and it barely had any wear to it at all. Or are you talking about the double stack XD's?