Whats the largest bore rifle in existance?

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

HiPointer

Boom, Got my CCW pistol finall!
Feb 17, 2016
I was just pondering this the other day and was wondering what the biggest rifle in use today is? I figure its got to be something big cause people like to hunt big game like elephants and rhinos so how do they do it?

By rifle I mean anything that isn't fully automatic, machine fed/antitank/antiair or takes a crew or multiple people to operate.

Something that one person loads, holds, and fires.

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
I believe there is a 600 Nitro, not sure if anything exceeds that.

BigMikey

Hunter
Jan 31, 2016
Theres a 700 Nitro, and also .950 JDJ. However their operability in terms of a rifle needed to shoot them and being only one person managed might be pushing the envelope some. They are more range queens. I know the .950 JDJ generates so much recoil and kick that most components will fall apart right on the spot after a short use (scopes, bipods, etc). The rifle weighs upwards of 100lbs, and generates 39,500 ft/lbs of energy (AR15s get around 1200?). Oddly enough that .950 JDJ was made by Ohio company SSK Industries. Maybe we can get a field trip there one day :D

So I'd probably have to agree with Chris, the 600 Nitro in terms of hunting and usability is probably about the biggest one person can go.

retief999

Scout
May 7, 2016
In 1800's India I believe there was a British hunter who used a 4 bore rifle. The Indians called it "The Mother of Cannons", Sir Samuel Baker had a 2-bore muzzleloader, which he called "Baby."