What was your first handgun?

American Revival Apparel Company
R

rayzer007

I saw this question on another forum and thought it might be fun to post here.

My first gun (1975) was a Colt Detective Special.

Ray

M

mukwah

When I was 17 I bought a Rossi .22 pistol from my older brother. I foolishly attempted my first trigger job on it. Never would fire again! Funny...... and scary!

R

rayzer007

mukwah said:
When I was 17 I bought a Rossi .22 pistol from my older brother. I foolishly attempted my first trigger job on it. Never would fire again! Funny...... and scary!

From such humble beginnings are thus produced great gunsmiths! ;)

Ray

Indigowolf

John
Jun 8, 2012
New Hampshire
Zip code
1977 or somewhere there about. My first handgun was a like new S&W Model 28 Highway Patrolman .357mag with a 4 inch barrel. Bought the revolver, a used Bianchi holster, a box of .357mag rounds, and a box of 38spl rounds, out the door for $340. For a first revolver I found out it was expensive to feed making it difficult to learn on. My second was a Ruger Single Six followed by a S&W 22lr Kit Gun. I learned multitudes more about shooting with the rimfires, likely because of the thousands of rounds put down range compared to hundreds out of the Model 28.

framedcraig1

no fear...Ruger is here.
Jun 8, 2012
Mapleton,ut
About 13 years ago. It was a beretta 3032 acp alleycat. Good little pistol, and i loved the pop up barrel. Just a little too light of a round for me. ::)

3Coyotes

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Effington, Ohio
Smith & Wesson Model 669 semi-auto. Full stainless, 12 round, 9mm. Pounded out 300 rounds on the first trip to the range 30 years ago. Can't say how many thousands on thousands since.

My younger son asked to borrow it for a range trip of his own about a year ago. Outside of bringing it to the house to clean it several times thereafter... it's now as much his favorite as it was mine.

zingbee

Hunter
Jun 8, 2012
Eustis, FL
1985 MKII bull barrel, followed by a 1986 S&W 686. I had to wait until I moved to Florida because NY was so anal. Still have both, plus lots more.

Silverfox1

Hunter
Jun 10, 2012
Louisville, KY
My first was a Ruger SR9. That was just a couple of years ago at 56 years of age. I quickly realized I really enjoy shooting and purchased a 22lr pistol less that a month later. That 22 has been replaced by a Ruger SR22p and I'm making up for my late start with lots of range visits.

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
I had shot guns and rifles for hunting for ever. Never had any hand guns. When my father died about 25 years or so ago. I got a Colt model 1903 Pocket Hammerless .32 and a H&R double action .22 revolver. My father got the Colt from his father, my grandfather who carried it while working on the railroad in IL and MO. The H&R I think my dad bought from a guy.

About 6-7 years ago I bought a Springfield Armory XD 9mm, service size (4 inch) and very soon after that I bought my first Seecamp. It was the Seecamp that got me into making holsters. I looked at some pocket holsters and said, I can do that, so I made my first pocket holster. And boy is/was it ugly, but it worked. But I got better and better with each one and here I am.

Fred_Import

Woodsman
Mar 20, 2010
SoCal
A long, long time ago in a galaxy far away... Oh, wait, that's a different story. ;)

My first was a Llama 1911 copy in .22LR. I saw it in a hardware store, and on a whim asked the clerk what was needed to buy it. His answer -"money". I'm dating myself, but the price on the box was $49.95, so I bought it. Still have it, and here it is:

Roy47.jpg

Yogi 117

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Salem OR
Ruger SS GP-100 4' barrel & Ruger SS SP-101 3' barrel. Carried while horseback riding. Just this week, sold the GP-100 for a Glock 30. So far no regrets, just hope they don't arrive down the road sometime! Yogi 8)

Sarge

Woodsman
Jun 15, 2012
Florida
Smith & Wesson Model 10 revolver...4-inch, heavy barrel, nickel plated. Bought it new in 1980. It's upstairs in the nightstand loaded with .38 Special +P Hydra Shoks. I'll never sell it. :)