What to do??

GA Firing Line

noname

Hunter
Jul 10, 2017
Georiga
Zip code
I picked up a used M&P 2.0 from someone recently. It was supposed to have a full Apex kit in it. However, I did a shitty job of checking it over when I traded for it. What I found was:
-The trigger bar was bent (not a huge deal as it is now fixed and has been reliable for 500 rounds)
- The wrong sear spring was in the gun
- The wrong seat was in the gun
- The trigger shoe was not installed properly.

I have gone through it and have corrected all issues expect for the sear itself. After talking to Apex, I was informed that it would cause the trigger to break at the wrong time. But the trigger has been wonderful since repairing the other issues.

So the question is, do I change the sear or keep shooting it and see what happens?

Last edited:

noname

Hunter
Jul 10, 2017
Georiga
Zip code
I have put 500 rounds through it after fixing everything. It feels like an Apex kit finally. Didn't have any problems. I am just a little hesitant to have any confidence in it knowing the wrong sear is installed.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I'd just buy the correct sear, it should make it shoot even better and you would have the peace of mind that it had the right parts in it.

noname

Hunter
Jul 10, 2017
Georiga
Zip code
I think it depends on what you want to do with the gun.

Carry gun? Make it right. No questions.

Range toy? Choot it!

It is just a range toy for now. That's why I am debating it. It's only a 50$ part and easy to put in. But why spend the money if it is behaving itself

noname

Hunter
Jul 10, 2017
Georiga
Zip code
I don't want to place blame on the seller. It was my responsibility to check out the gun before I traded for it. Unfortunately he brought everything he had for it. I am good with the gun now that I have it fixed, just a little undecided about changing the sear or not.

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
Do you have original parts? You could always install OEM sear for now.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
It is just a range toy for now. That's why I am debating it. It's only a 50$ part and easy to put in. But why spend the money if it is behaving itself
Just want to make sure i understand. The gun has the factory sear and the rest is Apex?

TattooedGunner

Frontiersman
Mar 31, 2015
Cedartown, GA
Zip code
I don't want to place blame on the seller. It was my responsibility to check out the gun before I traded for it. Unfortunately he brought everything he had for it. I am good with the gun now that I have it fixed, just a little undecided about changing the sear or not.

I agree with you, but I don't think "checking out" a gun at a meet should require detail stripping and inspecting every individual part.

At some point the seller is hiding things.

noname

Hunter
Jul 10, 2017
Georiga
Zip code
Just want to make sure i understand. The gun has the factory sear and the rest is Apex?

The gun has the Apex sear for the M&P (1st gen 9mm) forward set trigger and the 2.0's require the sear for the 45 and not the forward set sear.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
The gun has the Apex sear for the M&P (1st gen 9mm) forward set trigger and the 2.0's require the sear for the 45 and not the forward set sear.
Ah. Thank you. I would just buy the correct part when money allows. Even if the gun is firing good now it may shoot better with the correct sear and then you'll know it's 100% correct if god forbid you need to use it for self defense.

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
I wish I did. That would have made everything a lot easier.
Surprised did not come with the pistol. Whenever I make mods and time to sell, I include OEM parts. Seller must have sold them too.

ReservoirDawg10

Sniper
Site Supporter
Apr 10, 2016
Gwinnett
Zip code
If you are not confident in it and plan on using it for more than a range toy, I would buy a new sear. Hell, I'd probably buy another one anyways.