What To Do Before EMS Arrives

Howard Law

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
ems_rev.png

Many of you asked for a write up on what to do for various emergencies before EMS (Emergency Medical Services) arrives. In most areas the fire department will respond to medical calls along with the ambulance and sometimes the police. Most firefighters are at least EMT basics and should have some medical equipment on the fire truck to begin treatment till an ambulance arrives.

The first thing for any sort of emergency related to a medical complaint or an injury of some sort is to go ahead and call 911. The 911 dispatcher will ask questions to get the most appropriate type of people to the scene. Most 911 dispatchers are also trained to help walk you through CPR and other things that may help the patient till EMS arrives. When you call 911 try to have the most exact location possible as well as age and gender of the patient. If possible be prepared to have someone waiting outside to lead the crews to the patient so we don't have to figure out our way through a building we arnt familiar with.

Please be smart when getting involved in various situations, getting yourself hurt just makes things worse for everyone.

A few of the more common events that people may come across and want to help.

Car Accidents
These are super common as I'm sure we all know, most of the time they are minor fender benders and no real injuries are present. But, that isn't to say that they should be handled as nothing until someone qualified says so. Now what can and should the typical bystander do?
  1. Ask each person if they are ok and if they have called 911, if they haven't go ahead and call.
  2. If they are hurt encourage them to stay in the car.
  3. Don't physically prevent them from getting out of the car or leaving, that is just putting yourself in a bad position.
  4. If the vehicle is on fire, attempt to put it out if you have the means. If you don't and feel the fire is going to hurt the person more and you feel you can safely get them out then do so and get them to a safe distance.
  5. Do not get involved with arguments between the drivers.

Seizures
There really isn't anything bystanders can do to stop an active seizure. But, there are some things to consider.
  1. Don't put things in their mouth
  2. Don't try and hold them to keep them from flailing around
  3. Don't mess with them after the seizure, after a seizure most people go into a very confused state. They also have the tendency to become violent. Do what you can to stop them from harming themselves further but don't put yourself in a spot to get hurt.
  4. Do move things out of the way that they may hit, pull them away from the road or stairs or other things that they may fall down.

Stroke
Strokes are very time dependent. The faster someone who had a stroke gets to the hospital the better. It is very important to call 911 as soon as you suspect a stroke, we don't do anything really to fix or stop the stroke, but can treat other things if they go down hill. EMS will also know which hospital the patient needs to go to.

Some of the obvious signs of stroke:
  • One sided weakness. Example, the left arm won't move but the right will.
  • Slurred speech
  • Facial droop (if they smile and only one side moves up)
  • Begin acting confused

These are very basic things, but are easily recognizable. If you see these, especially on older people, call 911. EMS can further evaluate and rule out other causes. If we do suspect a stroke we can get them to where they need to be faster than if you take them on their own.

Allergic reactions
If you see someone who appears to be having a sudden or severe allergic reaction, call 911. There are a few things to look for with a severe allergic reaction.
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Difficulty swallowing
  • Difficulty speaking
  • Facial swelling
  • Tongue swelling

If you see these things ask if the person has an epi-pen. Many people who have severe allergies have (or should) have an epi-pen. If they do and cannot give it to themselves, offer to help them. If they are so bad they can't answer you then do it anyway. They are easy to use.
  1. Remove cap
  2. Get to their thigh, remove clothes to get to it if you can, thin clothes shouldn't matter too much.
  3. Stab them in the meaty part on the outside of their thigh
  4. Hold it there for 10 seconds once you stab them

Benadryl is good for more minor reactions but will probably make them sleepy. Don't give Benadryl to someone who has any of the symptoms listed above because they may start to choke.

These are all just some basic things you may see and may be able to help with. This is not meant to replace medical training or to replace EMS or the hospital. Do not do anything you are not comfortable doing or don't feel you can do safely. And if you haven't figured it out, calling 911 is important. It's better to have help on the way and then cancel them then to wait till things have gotten bad to call.

Please feel free to ask any questions, myself or some of the other EMS members we have will be glad to answer to the best of our abilities.
An original Southeast Traders article.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
love it!! thanks for taking the time to write this up.

tourniquet info would be good too as many of us carry them but arent too informed. i only recently heard about writing down the time on the person of when you tied them up for medical personnel to know how long the limb or whatever has been without blood

Reactions: dougiemac

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code

tourniquet info would be good too as many of us carry them but arent too informed. i only recently heard about writing down the time on the person of when you tied them up for medical personnel to know how long the limb or whatever has been without blood

That's on my list. I plan to pick up each of the main styles and do a comparison of them as well as how to and when to use them. Just have to wait till I have a few bucks to buy them.

I plan to do a few smaller articles about each of the pieces people should keep in their IFAK/blow out kit and then a final one of setting one up.

Reactions: Leshaire

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
That's on my list. I plan to pick up each of the main styles and do a comparison of them as well as how to and when to use them. Just have to wait till I have a few bucks to buy them.

I plan to do a few smaller articles about each of the pieces people should keep in their IFAK/blow out kit and then a final one of setting one up.
i can ship you the two i have for the write ups to save you some money and also help show off the styles people are buying. gotta give them back though lol

oh and id rather only send you one at a time so I still have one haha

but yeah i think thatd be super cool to have on the site here

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
i can ship you the two i have for the write ups to save you some money and also help show off the styles people are buying. gotta give them back though lol

oh and id rather only send you one at a time so I still have one haha

but yeah i think thatd be super cool to have on the site here

I appreciate that. I want to buy them all and do the write up and then do giveaways with them so people will have some. They are great to have. I keep one in my range bag, one in my chest rig, one in my night stand, one in my truck, one in my home first aid kit, my wife's car, my GHB, my BOB, my traveling EDC bag.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
I appreciate that. I want to buy them all and do the write up and then do giveaways with them so people will have some. They are great to have. I keep one in my range bag, one in my chest rig, one in my night stand, one in my truck, one in my home first aid kit, my wife's car, my GHB, my BOB, my traveling EDC bag.
lol damn. I have one in my briefcase and one on my chest rig. and nowadays a sharpie with each of them

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia

I agree with this. I carry a RATS tourny, but I haven't taken any medical classes yet and need to focus on that more than hitting steel and putting holes in paper.

Reactions: Leshaire

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
I agree with this. I carry a RATS tourny, but I haven't taken any medical classes yet and need to focus on that more than hitting steel and putting holes in paper.
i think this is the case for most of us. it definitely is for me

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I am by no means an expert and I'm not a certified instructor for anything. I do highly recommend a formal class if you can find one. BUT, if enough people wanted to I would not be against doing an informal totally unofficial class to teach some basic first aid and trauma care for y'all.

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
Good stuff OP!

Reactions: AtlMedic

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
I just saw where the price of Epi pens is up to $600 each due to the maker having a monopoly on the product. There is a $100 off coupon for those who cannot afford the $600 price tag!

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I just saw where the price of Epi pens is up to $600 each due to the maker having a monopoly on the product. There is a $100 off coupon for those who cannot afford the $600 price tag!

It's the delivery system they have the patent on. Apparently there is a generic version but hasn't proven to be as effective so doctors won't prescribe it.

World Class Dick Wrangler
Site Supporter
Kalash Klub
Sep 5, 2015
Da SAV
Zip code
It's the delivery system they have the patent on. Apparently there is a generic version but hasn't proven to be as effective so doctors won't prescribe it.
They had to find someway to keep their hands full of cash since drug patents expire.