What the heck?

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store
Status
Not open for further replies.

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
Ok, I made the plunge. Now here is my problem. I ordered bullets from Berrys. I ordered FN by mistake instead of RN. No problem. However I clearly ordered 115gr. The two boxes clearly state 115 9mm. However I went to weigh them and they weigh 124!!. What gives with this. I have checked my scale using other bullets and the scale is dead on. These are clearly 124 and not 115. Am I missing something here??

Thanks Dave

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
I'd get on the phone and get the issue resolved. As long as you've proven your scale is correct, they should resolve the problem for you. I have absolutely no idea how they would have messed up, though.

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
I had the same thing happened to me many many years ago.
I had a box of 150 grain Speer flat noes bullets that I loaded for my buddies 30 30. He told me that they realy kicked but I didn't load them that hot.
Years later I was using one of those bullets to check my scales. That box of bullets that was mark 150 actually weighed 170 GR.

NEVER TAKE ANYTHING FOR GRANTED.

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
Well, the first thing I did this am was to recheck the scale. Pulled apart a REM 9mm 115 and the scale had it exactly at 115. I'm a avid airgunner and have pellets that known for their precise weight. They were right on the money as well. I have reloaded my first batch of 50 and was ready to go shoot them yesterday but something came up and I could not make to the range. My new scale also came in the mail yesterday and it was only by chance that I weighed the bullet. Bad luck on the bullet order,good luck on the scale.
I'm not sure what the results would have been if I had shot them, but happy to not have found out. I guess i should take this as a lesson learned. Check the bullet weight from the manufacturer. I do not think they have that info in any of the reloading manuals. Also glad I bought a caliper. Berry's told me to set the COL at 1060 while other places have a different number all together. (So confusing)
Well, I guess the next money I shell out is a Bullet puller. I will get that today. I also guess that if I get stuck with these bullets, I will have to use a different powder as I do not see any load data for the three I have in 124 bullet.
I will call Berry's today pm. I will let you know what they have to say. I'm in a calm mood today, so I will not go BALLISTIC! (pun intended)

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
davevabch said:
Well, I guess the next money I shell out is a Bullet puller.
My choice for a bullet puller is this impact type. I have an old one marketed by RCBS as well as a new one from Cabela's and both work very well. There's no marring of the bullets and the powder is easily poured out of the tool after the bullet is pulled.

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
Thanks for the info Skip, I was just going to ask. Also just read a article about a bullet going on with a puller.LOL

D

Denny4kids

With the powder I use there is only a half of a grain difference of powder used between the two bullet weights we are talking about. You may not have loaded too much powder for the 124gr bullets. I load light in my 9mm. Just enough to make the power factor for IDPA and at my bench a 115gr bullet load would not over power a 124gr bullet. Den.

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
(Note: With regard to posted reloading data - mistakes, typos, etc. happen. Always check any poster's powder charge amount with a reputable reloading manual from Speer, Hornady, Sierra, Lyman, etc. before duplicating to ensure it is within safe limits. We highly recommend that you begin with the manual's suggested starting load and work your way up after testing each step in the process.)

Well, I called Berry's yesterday early am and explained to them that they were shipping 124 gr bullets in boxes labeled 115. Also the fact that I did confirm that I did order 115 which they had on record. Well they said they would call me back LOL. Did not hear from them yesterday and no email.

Well as a way of trying to turn a bad customer service issue into something good. I spent a lot of time researching powder and correct loads. I had already spent a number of hours on the subject, but added to the learning curve yesterday. The rounds I loaded for 115 are with IMR SR 7456 at4.5 gr. This is a light load for cast bullets and I should have gone with the in between load of cast and Jacketed bullets as Berry's suggested on their web site. So, I guessing this load is too light for the 124? Anyway, by mistakes I have made, I already now have three types of powder. Hodgon tightgroup, Universal, and now the IMR 7456.
I wish I had seen the "ACCURATE" WEBSITE sooner as they actually list loads for Berry Bullets as well as others. I went down to get some Accurate powder at my Local GS and they had everything but.
I did pick up a Bullet Puller and so my learning curve grows even shorter.
If Berry had called me back and just admitted their mistake and apologized I would have just said no problem and kept the 124 gr. and felt good about the company and continued ordering more. From what I have seen they have a good product. Probably will give Raineers the next shot even if I have to pay more.

Dave

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
While I have gone to the library and read a number of books on reloading I have not picked one to have as a home reference. What book is the most complete with special regards to all the load data for handguns featuring all bullets and powders?

Thanks
dave

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
davevabch said:
While I have gone to the library and read a number of books on reloading I have not picked one to have as a home reference. What book is the most complete with special regards to all the load data for handguns featuring all bullets and powders?

Thanks
dave
I like the series of books that this one is part of. I have a separate book for each caliber that I reload. These books combine data from many others and thus are the most complete single resource for each caliber.

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
Now that is what I'm talking about! I going to get one in 9mm and 380. Skip, I also notice every time you hand I have a conversation, I end up spending money! LOL!

thanks
dave

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
Oh great here we go again.I have been collecting 9mm brass for a while now, but wanted to increase my inventory quick so I ordered some from some place called KBar. Five days later I have heard nothing, no answer no returned email etc. I called them today and some guy answered the phone very unprofessionally and then he turned it over to a lady and you could some kid or baby crying in the back ground. I guess they work out of their house. Well she said they would have a tracking number for me today. Well that was BS. I guess their competing with Barry's to see who has the worst customer service.
I have read other reviews on this company and I get the feeling I will never see the order. I will contact pay pal tomorrow and try to get my money back.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
davevabch said:
Oh great here we go again.I have been collecting 9mm brass for a while now, but wanted to increase my inventory quick so I ordered some from some place called KBar.
Without a single doubt, the absolute best place to buy new centerfire brass cartridge cases is Starline.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
Dave - I can't tell what it is that you ordered based on that link. Nothing showed as being sold for $11. Was it the Lyman book?

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
Skip, I don't think you scrolled down. This should work.

lymanloaddata-1.jpg

Ps the price I quoted was with shipping

jackjr

Woodsman
Jun 10, 2012
davevabch,
I like reading and research so I have a shelf full of books on reloading. It can be helpful to have different ones as they will list different powder for different bullets sometimes. One book might have a listing for WIN231 for a particular bullet but not for IMR. I'll give a big thumbs up for Starline brass. I have got them through Graf and Sons and their own web site both. https://www.grafs.com/ http://www.starlinebrass.com/ I find their brass to be less expensive but yet better quality than others I have bought. I bought a lot of nickel plated cases because they are easier to find on the floor at the range. I also use Sharpies to mark the bottoms of the cases to identify mine from others and to be able to keep track of the batch of brass I use - different colors for different batches. Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.