What Mag Block for a 9mm AR Using Colt mags?

GA Firing Line

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
I've used a promag which sucked and I've used a Hahn Precision which is awesome in every way except for the cost.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
I've used a promag which sucked and I've used a Hahn Precision which is awesome in every way except for the cost.
I found that a good mag block just didn't make sense when compared to the cost of a dedicated 9mm lower. Plus they just look better IMO.

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
I found that a good mag block just didn't make sense when compared to the cost of a dedicated 9mm lower. Plus they just look better IMO.

Agreed. Dedicated is the way to go cost-wise if it's a single purpose build. With the Hahn block, I could theoretically change over to another caliber with a simple mag block and buffer switch out.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
Agreed. Dedicated is the way to go cost-wise if it's a single purpose build. With the Hahn block, I could theoretically change over to another caliber with a simple mag block and buffer switch out.
That's good if you only want to SBR one lower and may switch to another caliber later. I just made the decision that if I wanted another caliber later I'd just pay for another stamp and wait.

Reactions: Cudruln

becausefu

Woodsman
Trusted Trader
Mar 25, 2015
my house
Dedicated Glock mag lowers are bullshit. They look retarded as fuck with the mag poking backwards.

With a straight up and down mag insertion like the ORIGINAL Colt gun uses means that there is no difference in mag insertion with a 9mm or a standard AR mag.

Using a dedicated Glock lower means you have to learn new techniques when changing mags.

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
I've got a PSA AR-9 that I bought as a kit. Paired that up with an Anderson lower and it's been 100% reliable through a few hundred rounds... I wouldn't call that a really great test, but it's all I've shot so far. I have not had a failure to feed or eject yet.

And I noticed that they have the mag well blocks for about fifty bucks right now- really good deal.

I will say that mine rattles a little in the AR lower mag well. Maybe some play is required for reliable feeding- or maybe it's just sloppy. Anyway, there is a little rattle but I've not had any problems yet. Oh- and I've only used the PSA mag. Have not tried any converted UZI or other Colt pattern mags.

Now to play devil's advocate... I bought a NFA (New Frontier, not tax stamp) Glock 9mm lower from @DoglegArms and I'm impressed with the machining. If you happen to already have a bunch of G18/G17 mags, I'd go that route over the mag well block. After I get the NFA lower done and on a pistol, I'm pretty sure I'll sell off the PSA mag well block/mag.

Reactions: Cudruln

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
Dedicated Glock mag lowers are bullshit. They look retarded as fuck with the mag poking backwards.

With a straight up and down mag insertion like the ORIGINAL Colt gun uses means that there is no difference in mag insertion with a 9mm or a standard AR mag.

Using a dedicated Glock lower means you have to learn new techniques when changing mags.

:) And then there's this...

Reactions: Strider12

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
I'm not ready to totally poo-poo the Glock mag lowers just yet. I agree that it does "look" ridiculous but if it works then I can't argue.

I went with a colt mag setup even though I own a G17 and several 33 round G18 mags.

NWS

Not a hot midget
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Georgia
Zip code
Hahn bottom load. It is what I have.

Strider12

Sniper
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
Top loader requires removal of bolt catch for install. My lower is SBR, I don't want to risk fucking it up.
Makes sense. The lower I'm using is getting a stamp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A