What is a calorie?

Howard Law

Mgonza

Hunter
Jul 2, 2015
A calorie is defined as: The energy needed to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water through 1 °C (now usually defined as 4.1868 joules).

But what does that actually mean to us as far as nutrition?

To answer that question, we must first understand where calories come from.

There are actually 3 (4 if you count Alcohol) major components, labeled as "macro nutrients", to a calorie.
These components are the fuel to your body, mental fortitude and hormone levels. The 3 major macro nutrients are:
  • Protein
  • Carbohydrate
  • Fat
Take a look at the back of any mass produced food or drink product. You will find a nutritional label which contains the amount of proteins, carbs and fats contained in that product.

Foods and drinks may contain 1, 2 or even all 3 of these macro nutrients.

If you have ever been to a doctor, they have most likely told you that a balance diet is vital to a healthy, long life.

Sound advice but...what exactly is a balance?

Well, let's take a look at why each macro nutrient is important.

Proteins: Your body uses it to build and repair tissue. You need it to make enzymes, hormones, and other body chemicals. It is an important building block of bones, muscles, cartilage, skin, and blood.

Carbohydrates: Are all about energy and are found in foods like fruits, vegetables, breads, pasta, and dairy products. Your body uses these foods to make glucose, which is your body's main energy source.

Fats: Provide you with the storage spots for energy in the body. It helps move vitamins A, D, E and K through your system. Essential fatty acids play a role in brain development, blood clotting and managing inflammation.

More to come!

Reactions: sam

sam

Marksman
Trusted Trader
Apr 8, 2015
byron
Zip code
food is fuel for the body
to many people enjoy eating,like its a hobby.just watch"my 600lb life" on TLC
I tell myself daily" food is fuel to make my body go"

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
food is fuel for the body
to many people enjoy eating,like its a hobby.just watch"my 600lb life" on TLC
I tell myself daily" food is fuel to make my body go"

From a strictly biological sense the only reason your body exists other than to procreate is to eat.

Reactions: sam

sam

Marksman
Trusted Trader
Apr 8, 2015
byron
Zip code
blackbean burgers aren't the BOMB of food
would I rather eat a candy bar?yup am I going to NOPE

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
Dangit, now I'm hungry for a Monte Cristo!