What Do Do If You Get Pulled Over While Carrying Concealed?

Howard Law

MyWifeSaidYes

Hunter
May 18, 2016
[QUOTE="T.L.Jones]I don't think you understand the difference between NOT saying something that would incriminate you and SAYING somethimg that would NOT incriminate you. One is a 5th amendment issue, the other is not. Being required to notify an officer is NOT a 5th amendment issue. In fact it is the OPPOSITE of the 5th amendment. How exactly is saying somethimg that eliminates criminal liabilty a self-incrimination issue?

[/QUOTE]
"Oh, darn. I forgot my CHL expired 31 days ago."

"Well, sir, you just notified me that you are armed. Please step out of the car."

Dirtbike

NRA Life Member (Everybody should be!)
Feb 3, 2016
Why is this even debatable? There are rules to abide by when you acquire your CHL, I'm all for our rights but until that is changed and there is no longer a duty to notify it is the way it is. ......no disrespect but following the law is what separates "us" from "them" and as for the analogy of the CHL being 31 days expired......well if that were the case one shouldn't be carrying while knowing they are legally in the wrong, and even if one "forgot"....ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Last edited by a moderator:

MyWifeSaidYes

Hunter
May 18, 2016
[QUOTE="T.L.Jones]Because he is not my enemy and we are fellowcitizens. I treat them like I would anyone else. I'm not on a warpath to assert my rights. I'm out here trying to live in the same society as the officers are. Sometimes that means letting some things go even if you feel you have the right.
I'm all for the rights we enjoy as americans, but I personally live by what the Apostle Paul said,"in honor preferring one another over ourselves." And I think our society would be better off if more people worried more about this than asserting their own rights.

[/QUOTE]
You are an attorney who believes we should talk to the police AND not assert our rights?

Got it.

I'm not an attorney, but I do know that issues and evidence that are not brought into a trial. or unfavorable issues during a trial that are not objected to, cannot be brought up or used later during an appeal.

"Where are you headed?"

"What does that have to do with my broken taillight, officer?"

"Where are you coming from?"

"What does that have to do with my speed, officer?"

Nothing rude or "warpath-y" about that.

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
As an attorney, it's people like you that make my job a nightmare. People who think they know the law but know just enough to cause problems. Go ahead and act like you know better than me. Fine. But I'm duly licensed to practice law in Ohio for the last 11 years. So I'll stick with what I know. And I can promise you when an officer says "where you heading?" I won't be saying "what does that have to do with my speed?" Discretion is the better part of valor. If answering that question is completely innocuous why would you irritate an officer just trying to do his job? You make the situation far more adversarial than necessary. And that's just stupid.

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
[QUOTE="MyWifeSaidYes]

So, if you know the law, you know just how easy it is for a peace officer with powers of arrest to find a reason to charge you with a crime.

[/QUOTE]
I have handled literally thousands of criminal cases and never seen a person who has not committed a crime and who was polite and cooperative have an officer "find a reason" to arrest them. Yet I've seen dozens of times an officer arrests a person who committed no other crimes but was uncooperative and caused problems for them. THOSE are the ones officers will "find a reason" to arrest. You've gotten some bad youtube advice.

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
[QUOTE="MyWifeSaidYes]"Oh, darn. I forgot my CHL expired 31 days ago."
"Well, sir, you just notified me that you are armed. Please step out of the car."

[/QUOTE]
So your position is your rights exist to allow you to hide crimes you've committed? I guess I see the constitution as serving a bit of a different purpose. It's designed to protect us from government abuses. Unfortunately we live in a society full of people like you who see it as a way to help criminals. I prefer to live by my principles and values and not worry about incriminating myself, because I'm not committing crimes. And if I do commit a crime, my values would cause me to take responsibility for it, not seek to abuse my rights to try to hide it. Some people live by morals and some live by their "rights".

Last edited by a moderator:

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
WOAH!!! @T\.L\.Jones .......are you saying everything on youtube isn't 100% true, put out there by legitimate experts in their fields, and that it may actually steer me wrong......my mind is blown!!

This thread is just humorous at this point. lol

MyWifeSaidYes

Hunter
May 18, 2016
[QUOTE="Chris Timmerman]WOAH!!! @T\.L\.Jones .......are you saying everything on youtube isn't 100% true, put out there by legitimate experts in their fields, and that it may actually steer me wrong......my mind is blown!!
This thread is just humorous at this point. lol

[/QUOTE]
Humorous?

But I haven't even gotten to my 'sovereign citizen' rant yet.

;)

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
Oh man, if I had a nickel for everytime I had to deal with one of those sovereign citizens in court…. I'd have like a dollar…. Which is more than their briefs are worth that cite overruled court cases and still misinterpret them. :p