What Age Were You When You Fired Your First Firearm?

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
5 years old. It was a single shot H&R 12ga. My dad had to help me hold it up, but I hit the first clay pigeon I ever shot at!

Dirtbike

NRA Life Member (Everybody should be!)
Feb 3, 2016
I'd have to say that I was about 10 years old out on my Uncle Sam's farm in Mayslick, KY. My Old man let me shoulder his Mossburg 500 pump gun, ffw almost 28 years later and I've still got my first Shotgun that the old man handed over that day to me:)

tcsprofessor

My right and you can't have it!!
Feb 20, 2016
My first shot was a .22 rifle at summer camp. I was 13 years old and have been hooked ever since. Now that I've reached the "when you're older" age that my parents always talked about, let the gun flood gates open!!!!

Dirtbike

NRA Life Member (Everybody should be!)
Feb 3, 2016
I like threads like this!, I've got my now 6 year old daughter Bella out shooting .22lr with me although when she is with me its all about her lol, learning at an early age has def helped to reinforce who I am today in regards to discipline, I feel very fortunate to be able to pass this skillset along to my daughters as my Old Man did for me.

Keep'em coming folks!

HOG2K

Hobbyist Photographer
Jan 30, 2016
I believe I was around 6 when I shot my dads 22 rifle, I was upstairs in my parents bedroom one day when I saw a groundhog digging around in the backyard. That seemed like a good time to see what this rifle was all about, now, I didn't have permission to shoot the gun but since no one was home I figured what the heck lets teach that groundhog a lesson. I think I hit that thing from about 20 yards away and all it did was look up at me and walk away.

I probably missed but my ego tells me I hit it :D . I was hooked!!

JJJXLR8

Scout
Feb 28, 2016
I was 12. My uncle took me to a range in Delaware OH with his friend who was a serious collector. I can't remember what the first firearm was, though, as he brought a carload and I was 'required' to try each one. The ones I will never forget from that trip... Walther PPK, Colt SP1, and Ingram M10 (.45 ACP) full auto! That was back when they cost less than the tax stamp!

JJJXLR8

Scout
Feb 28, 2016
My son started with pellet guns @4 and shot his first .22LR @5. If there are going to be guns in the house, it's best to take the mystery out and eliminate the curiosity factor and teach safe handling.

D

David

I was 18 or so. My mother hated guns and didn't want us anywhere around them.

And much like JJtwat there all I could think was don't shoot my pecker off.

Mar 14, 2016
I WAS 7 AND IT WAS A SINGLE SHOT 12 GAUGE. GOT MY 1ST GUN ON MY 8TH BIRTHDAY.

IT WAS AN H&R 410 SINGLE SHOT BREAK DOWN. I STILL HAVE IT.

Mar 14, 2016
my Dad was a boy scout leader, he took me and my brother on a shootout campout that was literally a blast. we shot .22's , shotguns, and even a muzzle loader. great weekend for a 7 year old. my brother was 10.

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
I was 5 and it was a single shot .410. I got my first gun when I was 8. It was a mossberg 500. Bought a 10/22 at 10.