Watches......

GA Firing Line

Cudruln

Turning dollars into pennies.
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
I am currently in the market for a new watch. I am wanting to go with a good quality ABC (altimeter, barometer and compass) style watch. I am heavily leaning towards a solar powered to minimize the use of a battery. The gps function is not a big concern.

I am leaning towards the casio protek series or the suunto core (even though no solar power option). What do you have or would recommend. Thanks in advance.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I have a Core. It's a great watch functionality wise but build quality was a bit of a disappointment. I've had the band break several times and the ring around the face fell off.

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
I have a Core. It's a great watch functionality wise but build quality was a bit of a disappointment. I've had the band break several times and the ring around the face fell off.
Would you buy another one? How long have you had it? What is the battery life like?

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Would you buy another one? How long have you had it? What is the battery life like?
I would give them another try based off their reputation and that they seemed to fix the band problem. Battery life was fine I changed the battery every year to be safe but it never died on me.

The next expensive watch I'd buy will be a luminox though. I honestly have never needed any of the extra features and the altimeter has to be calibrated and the compass is kind of a pain to use.

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
I would give them another try based off their reputation and that they seemed to fix the band problem. Battery life was fine I changed the battery every year to be safe but it never died on me.

The next expensive watch I'd buy will be a luminox though. I honestly have never needed any of the extra features and the altimeter has to be calibrated and the compass is kind of a pain to use.
How hard is it to calibrate the altimeter?
What was hard about the compass?

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code

So you want to sell the core?

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
How hard is it to calibrate the altimeter?
What was hard about the compass?
The altimeter isn't hard to calibrate it's just a pain in the ass to do whenever I'm at a known altitude.

The compass is a pain because you have to take it off your wrist and spin it around for it to get its bearings

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
The altimeter isn't hard to calibrate it's just a pain in the ass to do whenever I'm at a known altitude.

The compass is a pain because you have to take it off your wrist and spin it around for it to get its bearings
Do you mean unknown altitude?

Could you just spin your whole body around?
I wonder why you have to spin it around to get it situated.

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
Watch? What are you watching??? I have not worn a watch in 20 years. I have always been on time when the need arose. My cell phone has a clock, my car has a clock and there is a clock just about any where you go. I'll be damned if I am gonna strap something to my wrist to keep track of time.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Do you mean unknown altitude?

Could you just spin your whole body around?
I wonder why you have to spin it around to get it situated.
No I meant to recalibrate whenever you know your at a known altitude because it looses calibration over time it seems.

The instructions say to remove the watch because it needs to spin on it's axis and not your axis

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
No I meant to recalibrate whenever you know your at a known altitude because it looses calibration over time it seems.

The instructions say to remove the watch because it needs to spin on it's axis and not your axis

This reminds me of that radar detector I had years ago- it had a built in compass. The instructions read something like "Go to an empty parking lot. Start calibration mode. Drive car around in three tight circles."

Reactions: AtlMedic

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code

Got ya.

Cudruln

Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Rockmart, GA
Zip code
Watch? What are you watching??? I have not worn a watch in 20 years. I have always been on time when the need arose. My cell phone has a clock, my car has a clock and there is a clock just about any where you go. I'll be damned if I am gonna strap something to my wrist to keep track of time.
It must be nice to just show up when you want to.

Reactions: Mac11FA