Walther PPK/S-1 at LGS

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
WaltherPPKS1NoSN.jpg

A friend of mine called me this afternoon. He’d run into a Walther PPK S1 .380 ACP Cal sitting it a LGS that was looking for a home. So I drove over and took a peek at her.

She’s a Stainless Steel Model, with little wear and tear, hardly been shot and no holster wear or dings to indicate any holster time. I had the kid on the counter take her down and checked out the slide and interior. She was a little stiff but appeared to be in great shape for a used gun. It still had the original case, owner’s manual and an extra magazine.

WaltherPPKS1Left.jpg

I asked the kid to talk to his Bass and offered him $425.00 for the piece. Considering they were asking $499.00 he smiled but went anyway. I’ve bought several used pieces from these guys and they know the drill. He came back and said “Yep”. So we wrote it up and the debit card got swiped.

I got home and called S&W Customer Service inquiring as to the manufacture date. August 2002 the guy said. I was amazed at the condition of the weapon considering it was 10 years old. It was probably bought by some guy who took it to range, ran a box of ammunition through it and then stuck it away, for home defense or whatever. From the looks of the interior he never bothered cleaning it.

WaltherDisassembly.jpg

I did a Field Strip. The interior show some scrape marks more likely from inept reassembly that anything else. After a good cleaning with some Break free Powder Blast and some CLP she shined right up. She’s ready to hit the range this week. Not a bad deal on a gun that MSRSPs for $629.00.

M

mukwah

Excellant find Slowhand! Very nice piece, and a great price I might add. You did good!

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
I bought my Walther PPK/S (made in Germany and imported by Interarms) in July of 1973 and paid $149.00 for it. The three 50-round boxes of Federal .380 ammo I bought with the pistol cost $5.44 each.

I just looked up the inflation rate from '73 to now, and the equivalent price for the pistol would be $789.70. The ammo would be $28.83 per box.

I'd say that Slowhand got a pretty good deal. The PPK/S (at least mine) is a beautifully made pistol that fits my hand perfectly as well. I have used a Pachmayr wrap-around grip (their Signature grip with backstrap) on mine for many years.

Shortly after I bought my PPK/S, I met another fellow who had also recently purchased one. He did not like the magazine with the finger extension and I didn't care for the magazine without the extension. Since each pistol came with one of each type of magazine, we traded and I now have two magazines with the finger extensions.

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
10-04-12RangeTrip1.jpg

I woke up this morning and it was still raining. Around 5:00 in the afternoon I figured it was Range Trip Time. So off I went. Palmetto State Armory just opened this indoor range in July. It’s a half mile from my house, so I joined up. It wasn't crowded since the working folks were still at it, on a week day, so I got it right. :D

10-04-12RangeTrip3.jpg

They divided the back of the store into 3 separate bay areas, separated by concrete blocks. There are 6 Lanes in each bay. Each lane has some nifty reinforcement wall between each shooter, which is a good thing. The lanes are 25 yards long, with state of the art target conveying and suspension. It’s also air conditioned.

I started out with 100 rounds of Independence .380 Auto 90 grain FMJs and 200 rounds of Winchester 380 95 Grain FMJs. No problems they all went bang. I worked my way through 5 targets. I got some great groupings at 5 &7 Yards. This wasn’t hit the Bulls Eye Shooting, it was just business and getting them center mass, with a head so or two with a couple of magazines. I have some real tack drivers for target shooting but when it comes to a CWP Carry Weapon, of the .380 Caliber kind I keep it real simple. Two shot drills and just getting to know her. I ran a clean target out to 15 yards, I can get on center mass at that range but, I would not want to bet my life on it. .

I finished up running 20 Speer Gold Dot 380 Auto 90 grain GDHPs through her since, if I go to carry it as a BUG or on Solo trips that’s my preferred rounds for carry.

I’ve fired several other .380s over the years and have got to give the folks at Walther (S&W) their dues, they got it right with the PPK S1 is a straight shooting and reliable weapon so far. The front sight is a red dot but, I’m going to look around at replacing it with a white dot, in dim light it’s barely visible. She’ll be a more Modern Gal then.

I ordered a Galco Fletch High Ride OWB Leather Holster for her this morning. I don’t go cheap when it comes to holsters, too much at stake to do otherwise.

10-04-2012CleanUp.jpg

The No So Fun Part is cleaning up afterwards. I’ve found that those Blue Paper Shop Towels they sale at the Auto Parts Stores work great for cleaning up after a range trip. I put some CLP on this weapon after I gave her a first cleaning, and then put some Brian Eno’s Slide-Guide Lite on the rail, prior to the range trip. Have a look at the residue on the paper towel, after a wipe down. Good Stuff that Slide Guide.

It was a great outing with a newly acquired weapon.

R

rayzer007

What a great report Bill; nice pictures too. You're really living it up lately; good for you! :)

Ray

M

mukwah

Thanks for the range report Slowhand! Enjoyed the read!

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
I just found out that there's a critically important recall, issued in February of 2009, on certain Walther PPK and PPK/S pistols made by S&W between 2002 and 2009. For more information click on this link to the notice.

The recall was issued on Feb 20, 2009. If you have a pistol that is listed, I suggest calling the number at the bottom of the recall notice. I would assume the recall is still in effect for anybody who missed it but has an affected pistol.

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
0010BAB - 9999BAB Mine was made in August 2002. I'll give them a call and coordinate a FedEx Pickup.

Thanks for the information.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
Slowhand said:
0010BAB - 9999BAB Mine was made in August 2002. I'll give them a call and coordinate a FedEx Pickup.

Thanks for the information.
I'm really glad things came together for you. The web works sometimes..... ;)

By the way - isn't the model of that pistol shown on the pistol as PPK/S? My 1973 version has the slash in the model number and is a PPK/S. My guess is that yours is a "PPK/S-1", made in the US by Smith & Wesson. Mine was made in Germany. I'm not sure when S&W started making them here.

Slowhand

Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
SkipD said:
Slowhand said:
S-1's are not included per S&W Customer Service.
I would consider that a good thing. At least you know for sure now.
I considered it a great thing, knowing for sure that I don't have to go through the return and shipping hassle. Thanks for thre information again though.

Bill