Vickers tactical Glock mag baseplates

Preparedness Depot in Acworth, GA

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Anyone have any experience with these? I always put vickers mag release and slide stops on my guns and love them. Just wondering if its worth getting the baseplates too.

I dont really have a reason other than because I can.

Liberty

nitrocellulose dispenser
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2015
Ga
Zip code
In got one in a deal on tos and it is nice for range use. It would be annoying on a carry pistol. If you get to Newnan, you can try mine out.

Reactions: SafeCracka

Liberty

nitrocellulose dispenser
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2015
Ga
Zip code
Yes it is wider by about 1/8, possibly making for faster mag changes in competition style shooting, due to being easier to grab out of an open mag pouch. In the real world I see no benefit in a regular covered mag pouch. Not many self defense shootings that require 19+ rounds.

Last edited:

Liberty

nitrocellulose dispenser
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2015
Ga
Zip code
just for you emt, 1st or 2nd deal in the old country was with you 0701152306a.jpg 0701152306.jpg

Liberty

nitrocellulose dispenser
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2015
Ga
Zip code
Of course my friend! I may try it at a Glock shoot with a 17 if I can ever get mt hands on a beater to hotrod.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
Anyone have any experience with these? I always put vickers mag release and slide stops on my guns and love them. Just wondering if its worth getting the baseplates too.

I dont really have a reason other than because I can.
They were designed to provide more grip surface. On the square range, it probably seems useless. But in a drill, competition or shootout, with a malfunction that prevents the mag from dropping free, they can be very useful. A failure to feed that locks the gun up, sometimes requires forcefully stripping it from the gun. The Vickers baseplate and others like them, are designed to give you more surface area to grab if you need the magazine out "right now" and it fails to drop free for any reason. Clearance would involve a slide lock, strip the mag, rack the slide several times, reinsert new mag, rack and bang.

dougiemac

Lord of Chaos
Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
North Georgia
@ATLEMT a friend of mine is close friends with Taran Butler and he's getting me some of Taran Tactical base plates to try out. Once I get them, I'll let ya know my review.

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
I believe so. Taran is helping a client of mine with a photoshoot and one of the things he said was he was going to send us some of the baseplates to try out.
Cool. Those have been getting a ton of exposure on IG and elsewhere. I can see where they'd be very useful for competition and maybe for EDC, depending on your carry method.

Reactions: dougiemac

Liberty

nitrocellulose dispenser
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2015
Ga
Zip code
They were designed to provide more grip surface. On the square range, it probably seems useless. But in a drill, competition or shootout, with a malfunction that prevents the mag from dropping free, they can be very useful. A failure to feed that locks the gun up, sometimes requires forcefully stripping it from the gun. The Vickers baseplate and others like them, are designed to give you more surface area to grab if you need the magazine out "right now" and it fails to drop free for any reason. Clearance would involve a slide lock, strip the mag, rack the slide several times, reinsert new mag, rack and bang.[/Q
The only time I have EVER had that happen with a Glock is when it was set up with dummy rounds. Now with a ppk....

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
Crap happens. I've had it happen with Glocks, M&Ps and even an HK. Although, the issue was generally traced to the ammunition. The point is, the Vickers baseplate, the 10-8 baseplate and others like them are designed with a purpose. They are not designed for competition, they are designed as an enhancement on a fighting gun.

On the other hand, mag extensions like the Taran Tactical were born from a competitive need and have found some crossover popularity.

Liberty

nitrocellulose dispenser
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2015
Ga
Zip code
Crap happens. I've had it happen with Glocks, M&Ps and even an HK. Although, the issue was generally traced to the ammunition. The point is, the Vickers baseplate, the 10-8 baseplate and others like them are designed with a purpose. They are not designed for competition, they are designed as an enhancement on a fighting gun.

On the other hand, mag extensions like the Taran Tactical were born from a competitive need and have found some crossover popularity.

You must shoot thousands of rounds per year, be shooting dirty guns, or be shooting some bad reloads to get an unmodified Glock to double feed more than every 2 to 3 years. Not trying to be a Richard, but that taticool stuff is for shooting matches and mall ninjas. Get a Glock 19, factory night sights, some decent ammo, and a couple cans of Breakfree clp, and you will have years of trouble free operation. Glock mags strip just fine on double feeds, of course I have only run about 18,000 rounds thru handguns, most of them being my reloads. The only time tap roll and rack did not work with a Glock is when dummy rounds were used to create a double feed.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code

If you ever have an issue that this baseplate could solve on a combat handgun, you should be tarred and feathered.....especially on an HK.