9mm Versacarry and Ruger SR9c (and SR9) alert

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

mayonardo

What Would Paladin Do?
Today I experienced a significant issue with a Versacarry. I used one of my Versacarry holsters to carry my Ruger SR9c in the cross draw position (10:30) today. I did this for about eight hours - driving, walking, sitting. A day of errands. When I returned home tonight, I dropped my hat accidentally on my living room floor. I bent down to pick it up and the magazine ejected from the Ruger and hit the floor. A wood floor, fortunately.

I wear a double thick, custom made gun belt. The Versacarry is a #3 with trigger guard. Inspecting the gun in the Versacarry I find the magazine release buttons are not covered. Evidently, something - my body or the belt - put enough pressure on one of the release buttons when I bent over to eject the magazine. Glad this did not happen in a public place.

I have sent this information to the Versacarry folks for their comment and consideration. Not drawing conclusions as yet, but feel this is an important issue to be understood by all Versacarry owners carrying the SR9 series pistols.

I am posting this on the Ruger Pistols Forum too.

Mayonardo
iPad & Tapatalk

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
I'm going to start checking my holsters (especially the ones that I have made) to make sure that this sort of thing isn't a problem.

I don't have an SR9 or SR9c. Are the magazine release buttons on these pistols significantly different in any way from those on other pistols?

Verticoli

Personal philosophy? Clothing optional.
Jun 10, 2012
Fl's west coast
That certainly is true. I recall the release buttons were no problem at all. One reason I don't like the gen 4 Gs are that big old release button.

framedcraig1

no fear...Ruger is here.
Jun 8, 2012
Mapleton,ut
Wow... yeah...kinda scary there bud. The thought of a magazine popping out onto the floor in public is a tad disconcerting. Let us know what the manufacturer says. Thanks for the heads up!

mayonardo

What Would Paladin Do?
I've posted this issue, along with two reviews from two forum members to whom I sent Versacarry holsters to try out over time and report back. You might be interested in what they have to say. And, I posted Versacarry's response to their reviews.

I haven't heard from them yet on my issue.

sdcarry.blogspot.com