Used Gun Prices Are Insane

American Revival Apparel Company

Rachie

Hunter
Feb 29, 2016
Why is everyone always trying to sell their used guns at new prices? Like if I wanted to pay $500 for a used glock that everyone is selling I'd just go to a gun shop and pick it up.

D

David

It's a free market so things are only worth what people are willing to pay and sellers can ask what they want.

Of course you are free to make offers as well and try to work out a deal. That also factors in to the prices you see, most sellers will expect to settle for a little lower.

Good luck!

OhAggie98

Hunter
Mar 5, 2016
I'm not sure what specific guns you're looking at, but it sometimes (not all the time) it has to do with new ones being hard to come by. I'm not sure about today, but here recently brand new Gen 4 G19 Glocks were hard to come by. So if someone wanted one really bad, they might be willing to pay retail or higher on the aftermarket. Just some thoughts.

JJTwat

Hunter
Feb 5, 2016
Gun prices are high, but a lot of it has to do with the fact you're avoiding a background check and some other things. Some people do not want the government to know they have weapons/be added to a list if they can avoid it.

Dirtbike

NRA Life Member (Everybody should be!)
Feb 3, 2016
I laugh at the same thing sometimes, but I suppose things are worth what somebody is willing to pay, my favorite line is "only shot 50 rounds" 50 rds or 500 if its worth the price is worth the price. ...... there are lots of deals out there just gotta sort through all of the bad ones to find the good ones

JJTwat

Hunter
Feb 5, 2016
Yeah, I was browsing the usual sites today and found some $700 glocks on armslist, and other gems, absolutely insane.

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
I have just sort of gotten used to it. Desensitized if you will. But there are good deals to be had, you just have to work for it. I sort of look at it like a scavenger hunt. I enjoy browsing gun ads and strolling through gun shows so I just make it a game to find those smoking deals among all the overpriced stuff.

Mar 14, 2016
yep some folks need to shop around. I have seen several times where they want more for a used gun than a new one. they like to argue about paper trails. seriously let them follow the paper trail, I don't own guns.

Randy (OHGO)

Woodsman
Feb 6, 2016
but then some used guns are worth more than new, they may come with extra mags, or ammo along with since some guns need a break in period that would be finished and if needed it is already sighted in

HiPointer

Boom, Got my CCW pistol finall!
Feb 17, 2016
I agree with Randy! It depends on what all comes with the gun too! A lot of stuff goes in to the price of a gun

RangerTim

Rangers Lead The Way!
Feb 17, 2016
In general accessories don't add much to the gun, especially handguns. It's different when you're talking rifles with scopes, bipods, etc. The one that always kills me is someone selling a used glock with holster and want $50 more than the price of the gun new. Holster don't add anything; odds are it's not the holster the buyer wants anyway. It is entertaining to see what people think their stuff is worth though. I'll give it that.

D

David

You think prices are insane on the web. You should have seen the stuff I saw at the Maumee Valley Gun Show today. Vendors were trying to sell LCP's for $375+ (the same gun you can find for $200-$229), and thats with doing paperwork so no "private seller avoid the paperwork premium" stuff going on. Used Glocks that were beat to the ground were trying to go for $550+ (I'm guessing Police Trade-ins). Absolutely nuts, and then all the vendors are sitting there like..."Oh man this place sure is empty".. yeah no shit. With those prices its amazing they can even sell stuff with a straight face...

Last edited:

Randy (OHGO)

Woodsman
Feb 6, 2016
I was at the Akron gun show a few years ago, one guy wanted $175.00 for a well used Davis 32....those were only $55 when new. So yes at some shows the prices are out of line.

~ZENAS~

Tracker
Mar 14, 2016
That's how Maumee always is. I can sometimes find a private seller unloading something cheap, but pretty much if you're looking to buy a gun, that show is not the place to go. I still enjoy going, but always find much better deals in Lima or on Armslist (and even those take some looking around to find the deals).

I was at the Maumee show Saturday morning first thing. I did pick up a sight for my HD shotgun I'm building but that's it.

Abraxialflame

Hunter
Feb 3, 2016
Ive been to a couple gun shows at the Rec Center in maumee where they have great deals.

On the other hand, other booths don't have any prices on anything, and when I inquire about something, I see why.

Mossberg 500s that look like someone used it to build a deck or something, 500-600$. Then they say "But make me an offer".

Like, I will offer to go over 15 feet and get the safe kept winchester 1300 defender for $200 with a case and cleaning kit...