Ultrasonic cleaners - your input?

Howard Law

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
I've been running all kinds of parts through it today, I'm just too scared to drop night sights in yet
It did a heck of a job on my BCGs as well as my .22 conversion (that thing was pretty nasty),

I've been reading on a few different forums that the majority of folks have not had any problems with night sights, but I'll need to research just a little more before I get my confidence up ;)
I put my Sig with factory night sights in with no problems and my cleaner is 780 watts. So I would think yours would be fine.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
I've run mine a couple of times today not realizing that the heater light turns red once it hits max temp. Once the solution was fully heated, I noticed a bigger difference. Using the Lyman sonic solution to start with, still have a couple of spots in a few baffles that needed wiped out, but seems to do a good job.

I only had about a hundred rounds of .45 and 300 rounds of 22 through the can when I cleaned it, so not that dirty to start with
Can you leave run the heat without running the sonic? If I know I'm going to be doing a lot of cleaning that day, I just leave the heat on. Starting with hot water really helps too. Mine takes a good 45 minutes to an hour to get the water up to 120.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
My Spectre was nasty, really nasty. I took it apart Sunday night and soaked it in the dip for 24 hours. Monday, I pulled them out, rinsed them and wiped them down. There was still a good bit of carbon and lead on the baffles. So I dropped them in the US for 8 minutes. Did a pretty decent job of knocking loose the remaining, already softened, crud. Rinsed them again wiped them out, chipped out a few stubborn pieces and the baffles were spotless. The mount section, better, but still a lot of caked on crud.
When I got my Spectre II took it apart, heated it and soaked the baffles in DOT5 brake fluid(silicone oil). There was some debate on whether or not this works. I've got a couple thousand rounds through it now, I need to clean it and see what the verdict is.

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Can you leave run the heat without running the sonic? If I know I'm going to be doing a lot of cleaning that day, I just leave the heat on. Starting with hot water really helps too. Mine takes a good 45 minutes to an hour to get the water up to 120.
Yeah, I figured it out, turn the unit on, hit the heater button and don't start the US cycle until the heater light turns red. I was an idiot and actually followed the instructions the first couple times, it said to start the heater after the US began

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Just wrap them in coarse steel wool and put vinegar in there with it. It'll be fine.
I read on the internet that chlorine and ammonia mixed together works well .... supposed to sniff the fumes to get rid of a cold at the same time :noidea:

KGmade

Frontiersman
Apr 14, 2016
Marietta, Ga
kgmade.net
Zip code
I bought that one from Cabelas and it didnt work out of the box.
We have this one, and it works pretty well. Ultrasonic isnt the miracle cleaner like I was hoping, but it works pretty well. You do have to be careful about some finishes, especially if you run the heat.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Stainle...208608?hash=item3f61d3c6e0:g:mL4AAOSwMVFXHwfK

erkinator 2

Smiling Handyman
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code
Brother and I split a unit for guns that uses a diluted carburetor cleaner that hurts no components and then has separate container with oil. All heated. Does great job but was pricey

DarthVader

Marksman
Mar 25, 2015
Henry County
Zip code
I bought that one from Cabelas and it didnt work out of the box.
We have this one, and it works pretty well. Ultrasonic isnt the miracle cleaner like I was hoping, but it works pretty well. You do have to be careful about some finishes, especially if you run the heat.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Stainle...208608?hash=item3f61d3c6e0:g:mL4AAOSwMVFXHwfK
Agreed on both points. For 22lr suppressors, they definitely are not a cure-all. And they will destroy some finishes, especially on aluminum.

I detail stripped my M&P last year and dropped it in the US. The frame was nasty due to shooting suppressed. Frame came out spotless. WIN. My Apex trigger on the other hand, came out missing 80% of its anodizing. FAIL.