Try to set aside your personal bias

American Revival Apparel Company

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
This is a really fantastic and depressing read. I'm aware what the opinion of the majority is on climate change, but this is worth a read. There is a growing number of scientists that have simply said, "we're fucked", no matter what we do. There's even a fair number that have moved off grid to prepare for what's coming. That's conviction, and not from a group of conspiracy theorists.

Take the time to read it. It won't hurt, and it won't give you cooties....promise.

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a36228/ballad-of-the-sad-climatologists-0815/

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
May it didn't give me cooties but now I have a rash. Thanks.

Climate change is the perfect argument...you can scare everyone and get millions and billions of dollars in grants all to study something that we KNOW happens....otherwise finding see shells in the Rockies wouldn't make much sense.

Anyway, it is interesting that some of them are becoming "preppers"...I guess the same arrogance that breeds the idea that man has caused the Earths shifting climates (maybe even retroactively?) can come to the conclusion that they can somehow save themselves from it.

My favorite quote:
"Dr. Lise Van Susteren, a practicing psychiatrist and graduate of Al Gore's Inconvenient Truth slide-show training, calls this "pretraumatic" stress"

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
May it didn't give me cooties but now I have a rash. Thanks.

Climate change is the perfect argument...you can scare everyone and get millions and billions of dollars in grants all to study something that we KNOW happens....otherwise finding see shells in the Rockies wouldn't make much sense.

Anyway, it is interesting that some of them are becoming "preppers"...I guess the same arrogance that breeds the idea that man has caused the Earths shifting climates (maybe even retroactively?) can come to the conclusion that they can somehow save themselves from it.

My favorite quote:
"Dr. Lise Van Susteren, a practicing psychiatrist and graduate of Al Gore's Inconvenient Truth slide-show training, calls this "pretraumatic" stress"
If anyone truly believes this is a scam to rake in grant money..then lol...
These are the worlds experts on the subject. I can't really think of another professional who's work is so roundly criticized by people with zero professional training in the field.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
If anyone truly believes this is a scam to rake in grant money..then lol...
These are the worlds experts on the subject. I can't really think of another professional who's work is so roundly criticized by people with zero professional training in the field.

Experts that all got caught lying...

I don't deny that the climate changes one bit...it's the NATURAL cycle of the Earth...to think that we could possibly do anything to change it is the epitome of arrogance. How many tons of CO2 does nature emit?

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Experts that all got caught lying...

I don't deny that the climate changes one bit...it's the NATURAL cycle of the Earth...to think that we could possibly do anything to change it is the epitome of arrogance. How many tons of CO2 does nature emit?
They did not all get caught lying. It is interesting that major oil companies have hired "scientists" and their reports are purport to show the exact opposite findings of the true professionals. Hey, the Earth is emitting CO2, so don't worry about it.
Nature emits a lot, so do humans. One doesn't cancel out the other, they are cumulative. The fact the the earth is giving off massive amounts of methane and carbon dioxide doesn't get us off the hook...it's fucks us even harder. It's not an effort to establish blame.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
They did not all get caught lying. It is interesting that major oil companies have hired "scientists" and their reports are purport to show the exact opposite findings of the true professionals. Hey, the Earth is emitting CO2, so don't worry about it.
Nature emits a lot, so do humans. One doesn't cancel out the other, they are cumulative. The fact the the earth is giving off massive amounts of methane and carbon dioxide doesn't get us off the hook...it's fucks us even harder. It's not an effort to establish blame.

I don't care about blame...if the "climate scientists" are so unbiased why have I never heard of them talking about or comparing the natural emissions of CO2 to the man made? All I hear from them is ridiculousness like how we need to stop eating beef because cows are contributing to global warming...or climate change. If enough people believe a lie ( not purposely being binary here I am unable to come up with a more nuanced argument) it doesn't stop being a lie.

I will refrain from further argument as that is not the purpose of your post.

Regardless of whether you believe climate change is man made or not it is rather interesting that there are a growing contingent of people involved in climate study that say we are fucked and are prepping...though that does seem to be a bit of an oxymoron.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I don't care about blame...if the "climate scientists" are so unbiased why have I never heard of them talking about or comparing the natural emissions of CO2 to the man made? All I hear from them is ridiculousness like how we need to stop eating beef because cows are contributing to global warming...or climate change. If enough people believe a lie ( not purposely being binary here I am unable to come up with a more nuanced argument) it doesn't stop being a lie.

I will refrain from further argument as that is not the purpose of your post.

Regardless of whether you believe climate change is man made or not it is rather interesting that there are a growing contingent of people involved in climate study that say we are fucked and are prepping...though that does seem to be a bit of an oxymoron.
The very first thing the article mentioned was a massive increase in methane from the ocean floor. The verdict is that both are harmful to the world as it exists now. Both human and natural contributions, with human contribution fast on the rise.

Their off-grid lifestyle is exactly appropriate if you believe that consumption and natural cycles are both contributing to a warming pattern. I don't see the oxymoronic part there.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Preppers? Why does this make me think of those Y2K weirdos?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317
I dunno. They were people that were simply fearful and didn't understand computer systems. These people are professionals in their field. If CDC immunologists all of a sudden packed up and moved out of town, I'd probably pay attention too.

boss_hawg

Marksman
Jul 13, 2015
Zip code
my boss told be that he's a vegetarian because we could sustain the entire world's population by shifting our cattle and pork growing lands to wheat, corn, rice, and other shit like that.

I told him that maybe our problem was that there were too many people. you would've thought I had slapped him in the face.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
my boss told be that he's a vegetarian because we could sustain the entire world's population by shifting our cattle and pork growing lands to wheat, corn, rice, and other shit like that.

I told him that maybe our problem was that there were too many people. you would've thought I had slapped him in the face.
Meat does consume a lot of resources.

Reactions: sam

rOmiLaYu

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 25, 2015
Earth
Zip code
I can't really think of another professional who's work is so roundly criticized by people with zero professional training in the field.
Really? Not even one? Oh, what a martyr!

Come on....

Oh, and "whose" not "who's" :boink:

The very fact that they walked back from "global warming" to "climate change," shows that they aren't even sure what's going on. Yes, the climate of the globe changes. Do we, a species that collectively take up the approximate space of Delaware, have the ability to either damage it or repair said damage? Hardly.

The fact that people who are wrong run away and hide in morose solitude is nothing new, nor pitiable.

Reactions: Strider12 and Shemp

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Really? Not even one? Oh, what a martyr!

Come on....

Oh, and "whose" not "who's" :boink:

The very fact that they walked back from "global warming" to "climate change," shows that they aren't even sure what's going on. Yes, the climate of the globe changes. Do we, a species that collectively take up the approximate space of Delaware, have the ability to either damage it or repair said damage? Hardly.

The fact that people who are wrong run away and hide in morose solitude is nothing new, nor pitiable.
That's probably the most absurd thing you've ever written, and you have quite a repertoire.
You don't believe that humans have the ability to damage the planet? Are you even living on this planet? You can't even fucking go outside in a majority of Chinese cities without a mask. Can you drink from the stream nearest your house? My parents life in BFE and the water is so full of PCB's you can't even swim in it.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
That's probably the most absurd thing you've ever written, and you have quite a repertoire.
You don't believe that humans have the ability to damage the planet? Are you even living on this planet? You can't even fucking go outside in a majority of Chinese cities without a mask. Can you drink from the stream nearest your house? My parents life in BFE and the water is so full of PCB's you can't even swim in it.

I banged a girl from PCB once...she was a dirty girl indeed

rOmiLaYu

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 25, 2015
Earth
Zip code
On a micro-level, sure, we can damage our enviornment...but on a global, catastrophic "we're f'ed so I'm moving to Greenland" - level? I don't think so. One guy "tweets" a hypothetical and moves to another country to take the temperature of the ocean and I'm supposed to feel sorry for him because I don't believe him? Nah....

Reactions: Shemp

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
On a micro-level, sure, we can damage our enviornment...but on a global, catastrophic "we're f'ed so I'm moving to Greenland" - level? I don't think so. One guy "tweets" a hypothetical and moves to another country to take the temperature of the ocean and I'm supposed to feel sorry for him because I don't believe him? Nah....
Naw, you'd have to have the ability to harness the power of the atom...or merely pump crude to do that kind of damage.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
Naw, you'd have to have the ability to harness the power of the atom...or merely pump crude to do that kind of damage.

Nuclear energy is the only real viable energy source we have...NEW plants off a level of efficiency the old ones can't hope to achieve. Breeder reactors all but elminate waste and the need to refuel...

Hell even if we just reworked the current set of bullshit laws governing "spent" nuclear fuel we'd be doing good. The "spent" nuclear fuel we take out of reactors can actually be reused as only 1-5% of it is rendered inert for power generation. 95% of it is still useable!

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
Nuclear energy is the only real viable energy source we have...NEW plants off a level of efficiency the old ones can't hope to achieve. Breeder reactors all but elminate waste and the need to refuel...

Hell even if we just reworked the current set of bullshit laws governing "spent" nuclear fuel we'd be doing good. The "spent" nuclear fuel we take out of reactors can actually be reused as only 1-5% of it is rendered inert for power generation. 95% of it is still useable!
I agree. Given the number of parasites on the planet, the nuclear option is just about the only option. With nuclear power we always run the risk of catastrophic failures..like the one we witnessed a scant two years ago.

Shemp

Boomerwaffen Fuddmander
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
Tesseract
Zip code
I agree. Given the number of parasites on the planet, the nuclear option is just about the only option. With nuclear power we always run the risk of catastrophic failures..like the one we witnessed a scant two years ago.

I'm not saying you are but people often cite Fukushima as some grand failure of nuclear power....honestly there isn't one thing on the planet that is more over engineered and we'll though out than a modern nuclear power plant. What happenned there is something no one could have predicted...the wall which was thought to be more than high enough simply wasn't. Saying that it should have been is like just foolish...no one can ever adequately predict just what nature can throw at you.

As a result plants are being retrofitted with even more redundancy and emergency barriers.
I'm not trying to discount the disaster but it was not one because of a fault in the nuclear process or engineering.

It amazes me that Germany is taking its nuclear power plants offline. There is nothing more green that is a viable option.

If we invested more money in refining the nuclear process than in windfalls that simply can't hold a candle to nuclear we might have even safer plants.

Hell look at the nuclear subs and aircraft carriers running aeound. There are very few more difficult engineering feats that to have one and in some cases two nuclear reactors in the confines of a sub or ship AND have people living right next to them along with munitions and fuel and the constant onslaught of the ocean...we can do it. We just need to get serious about it.