Howard Law

Which one gets your vote

• Total voters

mmason3

Hunter
Jan 9, 2016
Winston-Salem NC
Zip code
I am on my way to finishing a Jack of All Trades build and I think I have the optic choice narrowed down to two optics. I'm looking at the Trijicon Accupower 1-4 segmented reticle or the Vortex Viper 1-6 PST Gen II MOA reticle. I have absolutely no prior experience with a variable power optic but I like the idea of having one on a JoAT. I have used Aimpoints, EOTechs, and PA red dots. I think they have their place but just not on this build. Is there anything really to be lost by giving up the extra power by going with the Trijicon? Vortex has a great warranty but so does Trijicon and I'm a little worried about the internals more than anything. What is your experience with a Vortex optic? I really like the 1-6 ability if not to shoot farther than 400m but at least to see what is out there. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and helping me get some insight!

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I’ve handled and shot both but never owned either. So take my opinion for what it’s worth.

Both a really nice. I couldn’t tell much difference between clarity between either. I personally think I would go with the Trijicon. The reason I say that is because if I need more than 4x I would probably either be plinking where it’s not a big deal or if it was SHTF or something like that 6x would be too far for a self defense shot or I would be better off with a rifle set up for long distance shots. The second reason, the vortex makes damngood stuff, but Trijicon has optics used in the military which to me shows they know what a combat optic needs to be.

That said, I don’t think you would be disappointed either way.

mmason3

Hunter
Jan 9, 2016
Winston-Salem NC
Zip code
I’ve handled and shot both but never owned either. So take my opinion for what it’s worth.

Both a really nice. I couldn’t tell much difference between clarity between either. I personally think I would go with the Trijicon. The reason I say that is because if I need more than 4x I would probably either be plinking where it’s not a big deal or if it was SHTF or something like that 6x would be too far for a self defense shot or I would be better off with a rifle set up for long distance shots. The second reason, the vortex makes damngood stuff, but Trijicon has optics used in the military which to me shows they know what a combat optic needs to be.

That said, I don’t think you would be disappointed either way.

The military contract with Trijicon is really what drew my attention. I also like the 1/4 MOA adjustments and like you mentioned, the 1-4 is more practical since this will be my "go-to" gun. I will be working on a DMR/bench gun after this is wrapped up so I can reach out to anything farther than 300-400 if I wanted to with that. Thanks for the input, good to hear they are about the same

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
The Trijicon variable-powered tactical optics are highly underrated. Good glass and very rugged. I'd go with the Trijicon, but I'd go with the MOA or MIL-Square crosshairs instead of the segmented. Those dedicated BDC reticle aren't as accurate as knowing your dope and using holdoffs, and it will only work for 1 caliber with 1 load out of a specific barrel length. If you ever decide you want to swap that optic to another platform, it won't work.

Reactions: mmason3

mmason3

Hunter
Jan 9, 2016
Winston-Salem NC
Zip code
The Trijicon variable-powered tactical optics are highly underrated. Good glass and very rugged. I'd go with the Trijicon, but I'd go with the MOA or MIL-Square crosshairs instead of the segmented. Those dedicated BDC reticle aren't as accurate as knowing your dope and using holdoffs, and it will only work for 1 caliber with 1 load out of a specific barrel length. If you ever decide you want to swap that optic to another platform, it won't work.

Thanks @cmshoot this is just the stuff I was looking for!

Reactions: cmshoot

ReservoirDawg10

Sniper
Site Supporter
Apr 10, 2016
Gwinnett
Zip code
For some reason I read Gen 2 Razor, not Viper PST. The gen 2 Razors are solid and that would be my choice, but between the Viper and the Trijicon, I would go with the Trijicon. The Viper line from Vortex still has too many issues for me to be confident in them.

mmason3

Hunter
Jan 9, 2016
Winston-Salem NC
Zip code
For some reason I read Gen 2 Razor, not Viper PST. The gen 2 Razors are solid and that would be my choice, but between the Viper and the Trijicon, I would go with the Trijicon. The Viper line from Vortex still has too many issues for me to be confident in them.

I wish I was in enough money to get a Gen 2 Razor, I wouldn't mind spending that amount of money for that optic. I think the Accupower is going to end up sitting on this build. There are just too many positives for Trijicon at this point and even though Vortex has a bombproof warranty, I'd rather not have to use it. If we get to talking red dots though, that new crossfire might find a home

Reactions: cmshoot

mmason3

Hunter
Jan 9, 2016
Winston-Salem NC
Zip code
As if a sign from the heavens, DSG Arms sent out an email sale flyer for the Trijicon Accupower 1-4 with segmented circle AND, wait for it...a Midwest Industries QD mount for $700. I jumped on the opportunity and now I'm waiting for my order to process. Should be delivered Monday of next week at the latest. The lowest I could find the scope for was $601 on scopelist.com but I would still have to source a mount. I was going back and forth between ADM and MI so this kind of helped me along. Both options would have put me around $750-780 for scope and mount combo plus shipping so I felt like this was the best deal I was going to find. Once they come in and get mounted on the gun I'll post pictures and let yall know what I think of the setup. I need to get my gas block pinned before I throw the rail and scope on but it shouldn't be too long from now.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I am on my way to finishing a Jack of All Trades build and I think I have the optic choice narrowed down to two optics. I'm looking at the Trijicon Accupower 1-4 segmented reticle or the Vortex Viper 1-6 PST Gen II MOA reticle. I have absolutely no prior experience with a variable power optic but I like the idea of having one on a JoAT. I have used Aimpoints, EOTechs, and PA red dots. I think they have their place but just not on this build. Is there anything really to be lost by giving up the extra power by going with the Trijicon? Vortex has a great warranty but so does Trijicon and I'm a little worried about the internals more than anything. What is your experience with a Vortex optic? I really like the 1-6 ability if not to shoot farther than 400m but at least to see what is out there. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and helping me get some insight!
You might as well go with a 1-8x. The new NX8 nightforce is shipping to dealers now. If you’re worried about internals that’s your best bet. It’s also a true 1x so you can use it like you would a red dot on one power.

http://www.nightforceoptics.com/nx8/nx8-1-8x24-f1

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I wish I was in enough money to get a Gen 2 Razor, I wouldn't mind spending that amount of money for that optic. I think the Accupower is going to end up sitting on this build. There are just too many positives for Trijicon at this point and even though Vortex has a bombproof warranty, I'd rather not have to use it. If we get to talking red dots though, that new crossfire might find a home
Yep. The best warranty is the one you don’t use. I’d do some research on the frequency with which certain companies get warranty returns prior to purchase.

mmason3

Hunter
Jan 9, 2016
Winston-Salem NC
Zip code
Yep. The best warranty is the one you don’t use. I’d do some research on the frequency with which certain companies get warranty returns prior to purchase.

I am a little worried how frequently Vortex posts things to FB and Insta about "our customers use the shit out of our warranty that is built into the inflated price of what we sell!!" I'm not trashing Vortex, I would definitely use a Crossfire red dot or one of their spotting scopes but for this build I want the Trijicon guts and glass. I didn't go with the 1-8 like you mentioned because I do feel that the 1-4 will fill the role I am looking for. I also needed to stick to a strict budget. I got a great deal from DSG Arms that was the 1-4 WITH a Midwest Industries QD mount for $719 with 3 day shipping. I'm pretty happy with it

Last edited:
Reactions: Laufen

ReservoirDawg10

Sniper
Site Supporter
Apr 10, 2016
Gwinnett
Zip code
I am a little worried how frequently Vortex posts things to FB and Insta about "our use the shit out of our warranty that is built into the inflated price of what we sell!!" I'm not trashing Vortex, I would definitely use a Crossfire red dot or one of their spotting scopes but for this build I want the Trijicon guts and glass. I didn't go with the 1-8 like you mentioned because I do feel that the 1-4 will fill the role I am looking for. I also needed to stick to a strict budget. I got a great deal from DSG Arms that was the 1-4 WITH a Midwest Industries QD mount for $719 with 3 day shipping. I'm pretty happy with it
The thing to remember about Vortex is that they are huge, and they have scopes and red dots in just about every budget - from cheap to expensive. You are giving up QC and quality components and manufacturing to go cheap. I don't know why people won't accept that. You can't buy a $2,500 scope for $300. It seems like a "duh" statement, but people do buy and have those expectations. It's asinine.

I'm not a Vortex fanboy, and anyone that knows me, knows that I have little loyalty to brands. I have loyalty to people and to gunsmiths, etc, but not brands. I buy what I see as best at a given price point that I am willing to pay. With that said, Vortex gets a bad rap that they aren't justly deserving of by some folks. They are possibly the largest optics manufacturer out there these days. They make stuff in all price points and sell of bunch of stuff at all price points. Things are bound to break. And people are stupid. Couple that with people trying to cheap out but hold the highest expectations, it's a recipe for negative reviews.

mmason3

Hunter
Jan 9, 2016
Winston-Salem NC
Zip code
@ReservoirDawg10 I totally get your point. I have the same discussion with @Righter13 about all the PSA stuff. I have 4 PSA lowers, was just gifted one of their FN barreled uppers but I haven'y had any issues with them. Some guys do, some don't. I don't doubt Vortex makes decent stuff, but for my "Fallujah" gun, I'd just rather have a Trijicon on it. I plan on putting a 4-14 or 5-25 scope on mentioned PSA/FN upper. For that, I will definitely be entertaining Vortex because I can get a lot of boxes checked for under $900. I think every brand and product has a place and application BUT it depends on the end user.

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
@ReservoirDawg10 I totally get your point. I have the same discussion with @Righter13 about all the PSA stuff. I have 4 PSA lowers, was just gifted one of their FN barreled uppers but I haven'y had any issues with them. Some guys do, some don't. I don't doubt Vortex makes decent stuff, but for my "Fallujah" gun, I'd just rather have a Trijicon on it. I plan on putting a 4-14 or 5-25 scope on mentioned PSA/FN upper. For that, I will definitely be entertaining Vortex because I can get a lot of boxes checked for under $900. I think every brand and product has a place and application BUT it depends on the end user.
Considering what you're looking for, Trijicon all the way.