To inform or not to inform

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

fyroc

Developer
Mar 25, 2015
Philadelphia
Zip code
I recently go into a debate about whether you should inform an LEO that you have a firearm or not. This debate started due to this article.

http://speedsociety.com/how-to-info...-are-carrying-a-handgun-and-live/?source=dave

I use to be a firearms instructor when I was in Savannah. Nothing too big.. I worked part time at a range while I was trying to advance my dev career. One of our biggest questions was how to handle a traffic stop. My advice was this...

It's case by case. 90% of the time, if you are in a state where you do not have to inform, don't. By informing an officer you have a firearm in your vehicle you are creating a more stressful environment for both you and the police officer. The best thing to do, is to give him the information needed only for that traffic stop, take your ticket, and leave. If they ask if you have any weapons, I would respond, "I do not have any illegal weapons".

The other 10% of the time, you may want to inform. That 10% is when you are being asked out of the vehicle and the gun is on your person. Or when the vehicle is being searched.

What are your guys feelings?

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
I recently go into a debate about whether you should inform an LEO that you have a firearm or not. This debate started due to this article.

http://speedsociety.com/how-to-info...-are-carrying-a-handgun-and-live/?source=dave

I use to be a firearms instructor when I was in Savannah. Nothing too big.. I worked part time at a range while I was trying to advance my dev career. One of our biggest questions was how to handle a traffic stop. My advice was this...

It's case by case. 90% of the time, if you are in a state where you do not have to inform, don't. By informing an officer you have a firearm in your vehicle you are creating a more stressful environment for both you and the police officer. The best thing to do, is to give him the information needed only for that traffic stop, take your ticket, and leave. If they ask if you have any weapons, I would respond, "I do not have any illegal weapons".

The other 10% of the time, you may want to inform. That 10% is when you are being asked out of the vehicle and the gun is on your person. Or when the vehicle is being searched.

In GA you don't have the obligation to inform. It's one of the only states in the union like that though. I would never bring it up unless asked explicitly.

Oh, and.........."am I being detained?"

Reactions: Red Dawn

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code

I agree with your statement. No need to bring it up if not asked.

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015

Even though GA does not require notification, I still do it (a lot of my family, back in another state that requires it, are LEO and we've discussed this many times).

In the 3 encounters I've had here in GA, I've put my hands on the door sill, LEO approaches and I advise that I have a firearm at my 3 O'clock and have my GA permit; they then ask me what department I work for, I advise I'm not LEO and they then say okay, just need your license real quick.

That said, I have had the "what if" conversation with my LEO family as to what to do if you run across a newbie, fresh-out of POST, their response; yeah, good luck.....

Reactions: dial1911

karlvv

The LEGEND
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 3, 2015
Harlem, GA
Zip code
I would take it case by case, but if it becomes such an issue, you might want to take a driving class.

Reactions: AirOpsMgr

AirOpsMgr

Director of Lavatory Services
Administrator
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 24, 2015
I would take it case by case, but if it becomes such an issue, you might want to take a driving class.
Unless you live in a area like I do where they throw up road-side safety checks every July 4th, Labor Day and Memorial Day...

Jake

Steering wheel holder
Super Moderator
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 11, 2015
Ball Ground
Zip code
I'm not giving any more info than necessary.

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
Don't ask don't tell. If they do not specifically asked, then I don't say anything.

Huddy

Tracker
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 5, 2016
Cumming, GA
Zip code
Knock on wood, it's been a long time since I've been pulled over so I have no experience with the situation. However, a cousin in Ohio has told me both times he was pulled over he was first asked if he was carrying a weapon that day. Sounds like they pull carry license info when they run plates there. Anyone ever heard of that down here?

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
I don't think it's a problem here for law abiding citizens. I've never offered up any info and have never been asked either. Now if your asked to exit the vehicle then you might want to offer up some info as to not cause panic when it's seen by the officer.

Reactions: Huddy

Huddy

Tracker
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 5, 2016
Cumming, GA
Zip code
I don't think it's a problem here for law abiding citizens. I've never offered up any info and have never been asked either. Now if your asked to exit the vehicle then you might want to offer up some info as to not cause panic when it's seen by the officer.

I switched my wallet carry pocket so that it's not on my weapon side for this reason. I guess, if asked to exit the vehicle, I would inform the officer of the location of my firearm and my wallet so there would be no confusion as to which I was reaching for. Are officers allowed to remove your firearm from your possession during a stop? I've always wondered that as I would have serious apprehension about allowing them to take possession of my weapon.

Reactions: Red Dawn

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
I switched my wallet carry pocket so that it's not on my weapon side for this reason. I guess, if asked to exit the vehicle, I would inform the officer of the location of my firearm and my wallet so there would be no confusion as to which I was reaching for. Are officers allowed to remove your firearm from your possession during a stop? I've always wondered that as I would have serious apprehension about allowing them to take possession of my weapon.
Once notified they can in fact run a check to see if it's stolen is all I think since we don't register in GA