Tips On Removing Paint

Howard Law

SouthernSlammed

Gingerbeard Operator
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 29, 2015
Fapville
Zip code
Any good tips on removing paint from a blued item?

Got a magazine that was painted. It is beginning to flake, so it wasn't sanded before paint. I would like to remove it without damaging the blueing.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
Any good tips on removing paint from a blued item?

Got a magazine that was painted. It is beginning to flake, so it wasn't sanded before paint. I would like to remove it without damaging the blueing.
Depends on what kind of paint it is. Solvents shouldn't hurt the blue, but if it was a catalyzed or baked on finish, solvents probably won't be aggressive enough.

I'd try solvents and sonic cleaner first.

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
Depends on what kind of paint it is. Solvents shouldn't hurt the blue, but if it was a catalyzed or baked on finish, solvents probably won't be aggressive enough.

I'd try solvents and sonic cleaner first.

What he said.... and I'd probably start with some good ol' Hoppes and see what happens. Maybe mineral spirits as a second try.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
What he said.... and I'd probably start with some good ol' Hoppes and see what happens. Maybe mineral spirits as a second try.
I doubt mineral spirits or paint thinner would do much unless it's an oil based paint. I would go with lacquer thinner or acetone. If the previous attempts don't work.

SouthernSlammed

Gingerbeard Operator
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 29, 2015
Fapville
Zip code
I doubt mineral spirits or paint thinner would do much unless it's an oil based paint. I would go with lacquer thinner or acetone. If the previous attempts don't work.

No idea what the paint is, but there was no prep done to it. It's on an old surplus mag, so I know it's got oil soaked in its old bones. And it looks like they just sprayed over it. It's flaking, and where it is you can get it up with your fingernail.

I was going to try some acetone, but wasn't sure if it was going to harm the blueing.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
No idea what the paint is, but there was no prep done to it. It's on an old surplus mag, so I know it's got oil soaked in its old bones. And it looks like they just sprayed over it. It's flaking, and where it is you can get it up with your fingernail.

I was going to try some acetone, but wasn't sure if it was going to harm the blueing.
It shouldn't. Just oil the hell out of it afterward

Reactions: SouthernSlammed

Mac11FA

Disgruntled large member
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporter
Patriot Lifetime
Mar 26, 2015
Locust Grove, GA
Zip code
Test any harsher chemicals in an inconspicuous spot. The previous owner probably shot it with spRay paint.

erkinator 2

Smiling Handyman
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 1, 2015
Zip code

MEK is good also ,fast evaporation just not on plastic. Same with the others on plastic. Not sure what material is painted

fyroc

Developer
Mar 25, 2015
Philadelphia
Zip code
Now that you mention it, I doubt that aircraft stripper would hurt the blue either. That's just a hunch, but I see no reason why it would.

It won't. I played airsoft as a kid and this is what I used to remove the orange paint off the barrel. It wouldn't remove the black paint though.

Rwjeter

Space Force General Freeze.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Temple
Zip code
Surplus AK Mag.
Soviet? Vodka. They love it. I'd probably just chip away what I could and let the rest come off with use. Other than that I would take Willy's word on it. If anybody knows anything about paint I would wager it would be him.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
Aircraft stripper is nasty stuff. I use it as a last resort. I'd bet that brake cleaner and a rag would take the paint off easily
I wouldn't touch paint stripper unless it was a last resort. We'll use it to clean up equipment that has accumulated layers of paint, but I wouldn't dare bring that shit anywhere near a car. It can be good for small stuff though.

KGmade

Frontiersman
Apr 14, 2016
Marietta, Ga
kgmade.net
Zip code
I wouldn't touch paint stripper unless it was a last resort. We'll use it to clean up equipment that has accumulated layers of paint, but I wouldn't dare bring that shit anywhere near a car. It can be good for small stuff though.
I will generally just opt to media blast something before touching aircraft stripper. Ive been around plenty of solvents, and they dont bother me. Aircraft stripper burns my skin when it gets on it, and washing doesnt seem to help. its not fun to work with

SouthernSlammed

Gingerbeard Operator
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 29, 2015
Fapville
Zip code
Whelp...

Since I had, on hand, mineral spirits and automotive paint reducer, I gave them a try!

No luck!

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
Whelp...

Since I had, on hand, mineral spirits and automotive paint reducer, I gave them a try!

No luck!
Yeah, you're sol. Lacquer thinner probably ain't gonna do anything that reducer wouldn't do.

Try the stripper. If that doesn't work, you're gonna either be living with it the way it is kr refinishing it.

Willy Leadwell

Purveyor of Polyurethane
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Loganville, GA
Zip code
I will generally just opt to media blast something before touching aircraft stripper. Ive been around plenty of solvents, and they dont bother me. Aircraft stripper burns my skin when it gets on it, and washing doesnt seem to help. its not fun to work with
Yeah, but media blasting doesn't really help if you don't want to damage the original finish underneath.

Reactions: KGmade