Thoughts on "Survival Rifle"

Southeast Traders Apparel Swag Store

Hayata

Blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-blam-PING!
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Zip code
Survival rifle?

One of those over/under shotgun/.22 combos.

Shotgun for birds. .22 for squirrel/rabbits/etc.

Reactions: Mac11FA

Red Dawn

Wolverines
Site Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
H Town
Zip code
The H&R looks cumbersome
I would think if you wanted a larger than 22 round but still have the takedown and easy to pack this would be it.

I like the 22 for light and quiet plus you can carry a lot of ammo.

Reactions: great dane

Laufen

Beloved flaming retard
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 23, 2015
I85
Zip code
It depends on the scenario I guess. A .22 rifle would be great if you weren't too worried about other people. A 9mm carbine for a good middle of the road option. As a purely wilderness survival gun I'd choose a 20 gauge with a variety of ammo.

Jul 14, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
I think a lightweight ar would be a good option. Its primary purpose would be protection against other people. It is a good mid range gun so you wouldn't have to let people get too close. Ammo is light, for a rifle, which is good if you're on the move. I would use it to hunt only if necessary because there are other ways to find food and ammo is a limited commodity.

rOmiLaYu

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 25, 2015
Earth
Zip code
Honestly, the term "survival rifle" is so broad as to have almost no meaning. Are we talking rule of law or anarchy? Foot-mobile or vehicular support? Famous REM song or just out for the weekend trekking? In a situation where I am "surviving," contact - with anything - is going to be avoided. So something with a small signature is preferable. I don't have illusions of myself striding the wastelands at low ready with my shemagh around my neck and my LBE loaded with mags. That guy, whoever he is, is the first chump that's going to get shot. Stay out of sight, out of mind, and don't be memorable. I abhor the thought of having to "defend" myself from my once fellow countrymen should the "s" "h" the "f" - so you'll forgive me if I don't hasten the day....but that's not really what this thread is about, is it?

Answer? Suppressed Ruger 10/22 break-down model.

Last edited:

dial1911

Waiting for the flash
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Anywhere but here
southeastoutdoors.boards.net
Honestly, the term "survival rifle" is so broad as to have almost no meaning. Are we talking rule of law or anarchy? Foot-mobile or vehicular support? Famous REM song or just out for the weekend trekking? In a situation where I am "surviving," contact - with anything - is going to be avoided. So something with a small signature is preferable. I don't have illusions of myself striding the wastelands at low ready with my shemagh around my neck and my LBE loaded with mags. That guy, whoever he is, is the first chump that's going to get shot. Stay out of sight, out of mind, and don't be memorable. I abhor the thought of having to "defend" myself from my once fellow countrymen should the "s" "h" the "f" - so you'll forgive me if I don't hasten the day....but that's not really what this thread is about, is it?

Answer? Suppressed Ruger 10/22 brake-down model.

"break down"

:)

Reactions: Laufen

FatAlbert

Cerakote applicator, PM for quotes.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
GA
www.facebook.com
Zip code
A light weight AR gives you the best option of self defefense, offense, hunting and carrying lots of ammo. A argument is often made for the 22lr so you can carry lots of ammo and hunt small game but small game can easily be caught quietly while you sleep using a snare. Shotgun shells are gonna take up a lot of room in your pack for what you get in return. I'd be packing my AR with several mags.

Jul 14, 2015
Atlanta
Zip code
A light weight AR gives you the best option of self defefense, offense, hunting and carrying lots of ammo. A argument is often made for the 22lr so you can carry lots of ammo and hunt small game but small game can easily be caught quietly while you sleep using a snare. Shotgun shells are gonna take up a lot of room in your pack for what you get in return. I'd be packing my AR with several mags.
Same

Reactions: FatAlbert