Thoughts on a potential 10/22 purchase

American Revival Apparel Company

briant

Hunter
Jun 9, 2012
Orient, OH
I was at my local gunsmith today and we were talking about 10/22's. I mentioned I was looking for an older 10/22 and he pulls out a 1966 finger groove sporter that looked like it had never been fired. He bought it from the estate sale of a former customer and said it probably never left the guys safe until the sale. He is asking $350 for it and is firm on the price. I have seen several online listed between $400 - $550 but doesn't look they are selling.

I am looking to add this to my collection...not to sell but don't want to overpay. Any thoughts?

M

mukwah

I agree with Rich, pics would help. I believe I'd be seriously interested though!

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
Is it the standard stock or target stock?
Is the stock walnut or walnut finished?
Is the barrel bull or Thin contour?
Is it stainless steel or blued?
RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

briant

Hunter
Jun 9, 2012
Orient, OH
Rich...it is a standard 18.5 inch blue barrel with a walnut monte carlo stock. It has the finger grooves that run the length of the stock/fore end. I dont have a pic of the gun but I am looking online to see if anyone has a stock photo (everything so far are pics people took to sell their 10/22...which I dont think I am allowed to post). I'll post a pic as soon as I can find one...

Thanks...Brian
Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 2

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
I don't know if this helps but there was one on armslist.com in the summer for $300. Probably not as nice as what you are describing. I recently picked up one of the 10/22's with the walnut mannlicher stocks in stainless. I think I paid $275 or $300. Can't remember for sure. It doesn't sound like a steal but it doesn't sound like you are getting hooked either. If you don't plan to sell it and you want it......who cares! Buy it.

One thing I will add though. I used to be really drawn to the looks like it has never been shot guns, but I figured something out about those guns. They don't stay that way when I get them! :-\

redmond

Woodsman
Jun 8, 2012
Western WA
$350 sounds like a decent price. I love 10/22s, but agree that while they shoot like new for years, it won't have that pristine 'out-of-the-box' look for too long.

M

mukwah

It's definately not your "everyday 10/22"! I think I'd have to jump on it! JMHO

briant

Hunter
Jun 9, 2012
Orient, OH
I called him tonight and told him I would pick it up on Monday. I'll take pics and post when I get it. BDD is right though...now I have to fight the urge to shoot it as soon as I get it home ;D

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
Dont' fight it. Let the lead fly.

briant said:
I called him tonight and told him I would pick it up on Monday. I'll take pics and post when I get it. BDD is right though...now I have to fight the urge to shoot it as soon as I get it home ;D

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
While you're there buy few bricks for it.
A brick of 22's doesn't go very far in a 10 22 when you're having fun.
The only 22 rifle I like better than my Ruger 10 22 is my browning takedown.

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

briant

Hunter
Jun 9, 2012
Orient, OH
Well Rich...i have plenty of rounds in the safe. The problem is I decided to offset the urge to fire this 10/22 by buying a new 10/22. Realistically I will probably end up shooting both but it sounded like good logic when I bought it. I pick up the new 10/22 tomorrow and the 66 finger groove on monday. The wife is not going to be happy. Fortunately...unhappiness is a fleeting thing.

M

mukwah

That's funny, my wife is always thrilled when I bring any new gun home! NOT!!! LOL ........But then again I'm not to thrilled when she brings home another new purse or pair of shoes!
I wish I'd never learned how much a woman pays for a purse!
2 Purses=1 nice gun!

briant

Hunter
Jun 9, 2012
Orient, OH
I can only say that because she bought a new purse last week 'on sale' for $120. it makes me sick to think how much ammo I could have bought for the same thing she spent on a purse!!!

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
You are going to fit in just fine.

briant said:
Well Rich...i have plenty of rounds in the safe. The problem is I decided to offset the urge to fire this 10/22 by buying a new 10/22. Realistically I will probably end up shooting both but it sounded like good logic when I bought it. I pick up the new 10/22 tomorrow and the 66 finger groove on monday. The wife is not going to be happy. Fortunately...unhappiness is a fleeting thing.