Thinking about buying an AK

GA Firing Line

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
Going to Knob Creek Kentucky for the military gun show in October and I have been want a sport/HD rifle. I was thinking about an AR but I don't think the funs will be there for that. Been looking at AK's and checking out the difference between 5.56 vs 7.62 and the 7.62 is looking like allot of fun and I see this round every where I go so I know I can get them pretty reasonable. Here is what's telling me to go 7.62:

5.56 and 7.62x39 VS 2 55 Gallon steel barrels, sealed

Comments?

Sarge

Woodsman
Jun 15, 2012
Florida
I own an AR-15, but I'm certainly not going to knock an AK-47. Both are great rifles. The AR is more accurate at longer distances and you can really customize/configure one to suit your needs. I have three different sighting systems for mine, and my detachable carry-handle lets me change the rifle's configuration in minutes. There are lots of aftermarket accessories for an AR you can attach to the rails.

That said, an AK-47 takes a licking and keeps on ticking! You need to keep an AR clean. The AK will run with little to no cleaning. They are brutes and can take a lot of punishment. Someday I hope to own one myself. Both rifles, IMHO, are great for defense. You won't make a mistake if you buy an AK. If you do pick one up, please post a few photos!

Sarge

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
Yeah I am working around a $500.00 budget, so what ever I get will be used and I think even a used AR will be way out of my range. Not looking so much for a range riffle but a SHTF weapon, the only rifle I own is a Marlin Model 60 and 2 old shotguns. I don't think my Model 60 falls under the SHTF category, maybe an apocalypse zombie shooter though. LOL

M

mukwah

Very impressive!

Sent from my Droid Razr using my trigger finger.

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
Made a 5.56 is a groundhog round and a 7.62 is more a deer around.
7.62 by 39 is more of a inbetween around a cute little round. I did pick up a SKS about a year ago for under $200. To me it's a neat little toy.
The 7.62x52 is a real good round.

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
I like both. I seem to have more fun shooting AK's. Certainly cheaper ammo. I'll be adding an AK74 in the future. I've taken hogs with all 3 without issue. They may run an extra second or 2 when hit with the 5.56 or 5.45 then if hit by the 7.62 but they still die pretty quick.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
I love Ak's and I love my Saigas, which are basically AK shotguns. As much as I like to buy American made guns, AR's don't excite me and I feel like I need to take a college course to even know what to buy. The more I look at them the more confused I get as to what is good and what isn't. Good luck whatever you buy. My next rifle will probably me a Mini 14.

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
I believe Saiga is Izhmash's line of semi-auto "sporting" rifles and shotguns so the term actually applies to both. In fact, my Arsenal (Izhmash) AK has Saiga stamped on it as well.

A good friend has a Saiga 12 with an Aimpoint H1 on it and with slugs or buck in his drum it's down right devastating. The slugs are plenty accurate out to 50-60yds. A heck of a home defense option.

pybarava.jpg

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
I agree on all points yz. I don't think AR's show their accuracy edge until you stretch it out a little longer, like 100 yards and beyond.

I owned all three Saiga shotguns and apparently I am the strange one. I sold what seems to be the most popular one, the 12. I kept the 20 and the 410. The least popular one is the 20 and it is my favorite of the 3. Throws plenty of lead while still having relatively light recoil. I love shooting the 410, but a little light on lead and the ammo is too danged expensive.

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
yz9890 said:
I believe Saiga is Izhmash's line of semi-auto "sporting" rifles and shotguns so the term actually applies to both. In fact, my Arsenal (Izhmash) AK has Saiga stamped on it as well.

A good friend has a Saiga 12 with an Aimpoint H1 on it and with slugs or buck in his drum it's down right devastating. The slugs are plenty accurate out to 50-60yds. A heck of a home defense option.

Sure is a looker. Not really excited about the AK being Russian but I know I can find one in my budget and for what I am wanting (SHTF rifle) it fits the bill. If I went shotgun it most likely would be the Ksg - Kel Tec CNC but again not in my price range. I already have a Kel-Tec Sub 2000 carbine 9mm/glock mags on order since December 2012 and called the Fin last week and it is still a standing order. I figure it will come in the day after I buy the AK so the wife can yell at me for spending too much money.

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
You might be able to find a decent SKS for less money than an AK. I have one and, with a little work, it's a decent shooter. It's no match for my AR in overall performance, but for the price (and I can't remember what I paid for it but it wasn't much) it's a fun shooter.

10 rounds can be loaded very quickly from a stripper clip.

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
Not really excited about the AK being Russian but I know I can find one in my budget and for what I am wanting (SHTF rifle) it fits the bill.

Well, I don't think there is an American made AK. So have at it. :D

bigdogdaddy

Tracker
Sep 16, 2012
Indiana
For what it's worth and what it cost you, Gander Mountain shows a Saiga 5.45 x 39 on their website for $450. They come in other calibers too but they don't show them. They are shipped as a sporter for legal reasons and then you can convert them. They make a darn nice gun and you can spend a little or a lot making them into whatever you want.

RugerRon60

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Mohican Country Ohio
bigdogdaddy said:
For what it's worth and what it cost you, Gander Mountain shows a Saiga 5.45 x 39 on their website for $450. They come in other calibers too but they don't show them. They are shipped as a sporter for legal reasons and then you can convert them. They make a darn nice gun and you can spend a little or a lot making them into whatever you want.

My search for a AK in my area is dying fast, called the Fin in Ashland Ohio and they don't have any. Before I go to anything else I will wait till the Machine Gun Shoot/Military show in October at Knob Creek KY before I settle for anything else which was my plan originally but I though if they don't have one (hard to believe that could happen there) I would only have hand guns and a .22lr rifle to shoot so I started looking. The Saiga and a Mosin Nagant sure will sure be an option if all else falls through.

yz9890

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2012
Nomad said:
bigdogdaddy said:

My search for a AK in my area is dying fast, called the Fin in Ashland Ohio and they don't have any. Before I go to anything else I will wait till the Machine Gun Shoot/Military show in October at Knob Creek KY before I settle for anything else which was my plan originally but I though if they don't have one (hard to believe that could happen there) I would only have hand guns and a .22lr rifle to shoot so I started looking. The Saiga and a Mosin Nagant sure will sure be an option if all else falls through.

The gun shop there is open all the time and their selection isn't bad. I went to the last shoot there and there were not many tables with AK's. a few people carrying them for a face to face sale but people are pretty proud of their AK's these days so you'll have to be alert for a deal.

Buds has Yugoslav copies for $581 shipped. Only $200 more than what it should be. ;)
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/714007832/cent_zastava_pap_762x39_original_wood_stock