The rig I run

Faktory 47

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
image.jpeg I get asked a lot about what rig and components I run when Instructing, specifically Carbine (AR or AK) or Shotgun. I thought I'd lay everything out, label it and go over it.

The rig is modular. The only thing that stays the same from course to course is the belt (inner and outer), the Safariland holster platform and the Rolly Polly. Everything else easily removes and attaches. The holsters snap into a plate on the rig.......they're the easiest part of the entire system to switch out.

I usually run a plate carrier with AR500 plates in it. If I need more than 3 Carbine mags (1 in the weapon, 2 on the belt), I have a carrier that is fastened to the front of my carrier and carries an additional 4 magazines.

1a: Jones Tactical outer belt, with Cobra buckle
1b: Jones Tactical inner belt
2: Maxpedition Rolly Polly, large. I tried the medium, but found it sometimes difficult to get a mag in there while shootin' n' scootin'. Also, as an Instructor, I'm always sticking stuff in there like PACT timers, courses of fire and other gear.
3: Safariland 6004-25 holster platform using the QLS (Quick Locking System) plate. This allows just about any Safariland holster to be mounted to this rig. I've always hated "drop leg" holsters, but this one drops just far enough to get below vests and/or armor, but it's still mounted on the hip, not the leg. Super stable and secure, yet very quick.
4a: Safariland 6377 holster with QLS attachment, Beretta 92
4b: Safariland 6377 holster with QLS attachment, SIG P229
4c: Safariland 6377 holster with QLS attachment, Gov't model 1911
5: Safariland kydex Teklok pouches, AR15
6: Blade Tech Teklok pouches, AK
7: Ready Tactical kydex mag pouches, Beretta 92
8: Talon Tactical kydex mag pouches, 1911
9: Ready Tactical kydex mag pouches, SIG P229
10: California Competition works shotshell caddy
11: Safariland SxS shotshell holder. I usually put shotshells in the California CompWorks caddies and slugs in the SxS's.

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
Do you use Velcro or keepers to keep the belts together?

I have no ass so I'm hesitant to put too much weight on a belt but have a plan for a really basic set up to carry a few items on a belt.

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
The belt is a 2-part system. The inner belt I wear like any other pants belt; through my belt loops, and it has the fuzzy part (aka the "loop") of Velcro on the outside. The outer belt is much stiffer and heavier, hand-sewn from scuba webbing, and has the "hook" part of Velcro on the inside. So, they lock together.

The Cobra buckle is rock solid.

On all the items attached to the outer belt, I stuck some Velcro to the backside so they lock in place when the outer belt is fastened.

Leshaire

Weekend Warrior
Mar 27, 2015
Acworth
Zip code
I still havent picked up a dump pouch. It wasnt until I took your class that I realized they existed in the first place lol

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
I still havent picked up a dump pouch. It wasnt until I took your class that I realized they existed in the first place lol

They are handy. When you don't need it, they roll/fold up quite small, so they're out of the way.

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
Headed out of town for a week-and-a-half family vacation. I'll do a similar thread for my BDS Tactical plate carrier, but it's pretty simple. Nothing on it but 2 plates, 4 mag pouches, and patches.

Creeper

Hunter
Jul 11, 2016
Senoia
Zip code
I still have my old LBE with mag pouches, 2 canteens, knife and my G31 in a drop leg holster. I drop the canteens and mag pouches when I run drills. Been trying to get used a vest but I'm broad thru the back and shoulders, it's always tight

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
I recently switched from a Beretta 92G to a Wilson Combat Beretta 92G Brigadier with a TLR-1H. Safariland does not make a holster for that setup, so I'm going to take the pistol and one of the adapter plates to Blackpoint Tactical and have them make a holster for it that will work with my rig. It won't have the ALS, but I'll have them put a very positive "snap in" to it.

Last edited:

AtlMedic

Not A Doctor
Mar 25, 2015
Smyrna, GA
Zip code
I recently switched from a Beretta 92G to a Wilson Combat Beretta 92G Brigadier with a TLR-1H. Safariland does make a holster for that setup, so I'm going to take the pistol and one of the adapter plates to Blackpoint Tactical and have them make a holster for it that will work with my rig. It won't have the ALS, but I'll have them out a very positive "snap in" to it.

Don't tease us talking about a WC beretta and not post a picture.

cmshoot

Marksman
Jul 12, 2016
Dallas, GA
Zip code
Well, if you're ever on Carnival Cruiselines, don't pay for the wifi. I go to Africa regularly, so I know crappy wifi, and this is by far the worst I've ever seen.

Last edited: