The LC9 and your personal reload

GA Firing Line

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
So you love the Lc9? It is a terrific gun. Is factory ammo the best for a Lc9? A one size fits all cartridge? I have shot thousands of rounds through this pistol. I've become very accurate. BUT now have started reloading and am totally a very happy camper with a load that is better suited for the gun. Much softer shooting and much more accurate. Factory ammo designed for any pistol, no matter the size just may be too much or really not suited for smaller pocket pistol. Try reloading and experience a NEW LC9!

Dave@vabch

millsriver

Hunter
Jun 21, 2012
North Carolina
I reload all calibers that I own. For the LC9 I reload all of my practice ammo, but still purchase standard factory ammo for CC. Maybe a little too cautious on my part; but, I don't want to ever end up in court after a self-defense incident answering questions on reloading. You know. Why this bullet, why this primer, why this powder? What were you trying to do, load a "cop-killer" bullet? Etc, Etc, Etc............

davevabch

Frontiersman
Jun 9, 2012
Of course I only carry the best factory ammo for self defense and I'm glad you clarified that for me. I shoot at least once a week, and really cannot imagine shooting Defense factory ammo for range time LOL. I have a good stock pile of Rem UMC which is fine for my SR9c, but Not for my LC9. In just the short time I have been reloading I can see where a light load is much more appropriate for comfort, accuracy and wear and tear on the Pistol. JMO
dave

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
When I'm reloading for my self-defense weapons, I attempt to match my commercial self-defense ammo as much as possible for practice ammo. This includes using identical bullets as the commercial self-defense ammo when (and it usually is) possible and also getting the measured velocity as close to the commercial ammo performance without exceeding the pressure of the commercial ammo (as judged by primer deformation and measurements of the fired cases).

I also load a mess of hardball ammo for most of my auto pistols for fun shooting. In addition, I cast bullets out of surplus wheel weights for .38/.357 and .45 Long Colt fun shooting.