The gun store shelves were nearly empty but a Sig SP2022 was begging for a home

Howard Law

kraigster414

Hunter
Jun 8, 2012
Northern VA
Lesson #1 - Never sell a gun. You will eventually regret it.

I missed my Sig P239 that I sold a while back and longed for another weapon in this fine caliber. 'Thought I'd head over to my local gun shop where I haven't been in months to catch the empty shelves. I wasn't disappointed. There was virtually no new or used guns on display. Everything sold, gone, sayonara. Ammo is being rationed, precious little reloading equipment, and zero mags. But as luck would have it, there staring me square in the eye was a Sig SP2022 in .357 Sig, brand spanking new. I guess most folks figure the cost of .357 Sig factory ammo is just too high. Factory ammo?! I don't need no factory ammo (except for carry), I reload! Long story made short, the !@#$ing thing followed me home! And it looks like a nice gun. 'Can't wait to try her out. And here she is:

sp2022_zps81a81977.jpg

SkipD

Helper-outer
Jun 8, 2012
Southeast Wisconsin
Zip code
Re: The gun shelves were empty but a Sig SP2022 was begging for a home

I've wanted to play with that caliber, but the "Finance Division" has sorta limited what I can do with my "wants". ::)

R

rayzer007

Very nice looking weapon Rich; congratulations! The round is very impressive also! Do you think it will be a problem reloading with the casing design?

Ray

M

mukwah

Very nice Kraigster! Very 'professional' looking!
I've read a lot about this .357 Sig and all sounds good. I'd like to try one out someday!

TRIGGER_1

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
Athens, GA USA
Re: The gun store shelves were empty but a Sig SP2022 was begging for a home

Rich....Congrats to you.....It will shoot like a laser beam...... 8)

I bought a .357 Sig barrel for my Glock 35.....What a difference it is..... :eek:

As you know I reload a lot...But have not tried the .357 Sig yet...A learning curve is needed...;)

kraigster414

Hunter
Jun 8, 2012
Northern VA

I have reloaded .357 Sig for years and first let me say, THIS IS NOT A CALIBER FOR BEGINNER RELOADERS. There is little margin for error, very little brass to grip the bullet and if not sufficiently tight in the case (the bullet), you risk potentially dangerous setback. The .357 Sig is also a relatively high pressure round. I have had the most success with hard cast bullets believe it or not. I use the Penn Bullet 120 grain TCBB exclusively, sold as a 9mm bullet, it is perfect for loading .357 Sig. I get a good grip with these little suckers, I load them up or down, and they are fine for general target practice and to keep up your skills. I gave up on plated bullets like Ranier and Berry long ago, 'could just not get a tight enough fit. Cleaner yes but potentially more dangerous IMHO.

TRIGGER_1

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
Athens, GA USA

Rich....Hang in there....But I am a little worried about some of these new restrictions on mags...

Hope you can getem while the getin is still possible....You may have to pay a little more....

I would get a good stash of them for future parts and such..... ;)

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC

Congratulations of the new purchase. Sig makes some great pistols.

kraigster414

Hunter
Jun 8, 2012
Northern VA

Thanks Trig. I ordered one of their 10 rounders. It's the 12 round mags that are virtually impossible right now to find.

Next comes an IWB hoslter and I am partial to Tommy Theis' rigs. Quick shipper and very reasonably priced.

www.jakebelt.com

TRIGGER_1

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
Athens, GA USA

Rich...After I get fully retired...I will get the dies for my Dillon and try reloading the .357 Sig... :-\

I reload .223 and I know what a pain it is for those bottle neck cartridges... :-\

R

rayzer007

kraigster414 said:
Must be my lucky day...found two factory mags (new) on the Internet - 12 rounders too, whoohoo. :)

You're also lucky to live in Va. Rich. If you were in NYS, you'd have to settle for four six-rounders!

Ray

kraigster414

Hunter
Jun 8, 2012
Northern VA
Ray, I lived on Long Island for several years and the happiest day was when I left. What a hassle to even get a target permit. Then there were the purchased documents, etc. etc. I love Bloomberg going around telling other States what to do. I hope he gets super sized slam dunked in the next mayoral election in NYC.

R

rayzer007

kraigster414 said:
Ray, I lived on Long Island for several years and the happiest day was when I left. What a hassle to even get a target permit. Then there were the purchased documents, etc. etc. I love Bloomberg going around telling other States what to do. I hope he gets super sized slam dunked in the next mayoral election in NYC.

My friend finally got his permit - business related only - 1 year 8 months after submitting the paperwork. No one is allowed to carry in NYC, even with an unrestricted state permit! Permission must be granted by the local precinct, and it's only good for six weeks. The problem simply stated is: there are 7 million people in the city area; however, 6 million are gun toting criminals! :eek:

Ray