The Bond Arms derringer

GA Firing Line

mayonardo

What Would Paladin Do?
One compact handgun that is suitable for self-defense carry that hasn't been discussed here, to my knowledge, is the Bond Arms derringer. I've been looking into Bond's guns for a few days now, and had a long conversation Gordon Bond, the owner, about his guns. When I first heard about them I pretty much dismissed them, being, after all a "derringer", and only two shots at that. But, my tune is beginning to change. I posted a long discussion of Bond Arms guns on my blog, sdcarry.blogspot.com and I want to kick off a thread here to see who has experience with them, or maybe someone actually has one and can relate his or her experiences.

In short, Bond Arms makes modern-day derringers that, most people say, are built like a tank, solid, safe and can shoot anything from .22 LR to .410 000 Buck. The guns are definitely compact and are built in such a way that the barrels are interchangeable. Any barrel set in any caliber can be swapped with another on the same frame, so you can have one Bond Arms gun that will shoot practically anything you care to feed it. The barrels are not expensive, and since they are not serialized, you can get them directly from Bond Arms via the mail.

I hope to be looking at one in the next few weeks, and if I like it, I may buy one and bring her home. I'll be reporting on that and my shooting experiences in that event.

So, if anyone has any questions or comments on the new Bond Arms derringers, let 'er rip.

millsriver

Hunter
Jun 21, 2012
North Carolina
I have a Bond Arms derringer in .45 Colt/ 3" .410 with a 4.25" barrel. It is the Snake Slayer IV model. I got this and one other derringer, in a straight trade for an antique long gun at a local gun show. I have since fired it with both the .45 Colt and the 3" .410 ga at a standard pistol target at 7 yards. You can load the rounds in either barrel and use two .45's or two .410's interchangeably. The results were simply astounding. The .45 Colt was not much of a difference from my reproduction 1873 SAA .45, but the .410 was something else. I do not believe it would make a great CC as it is large and heavy and only two shots. But what power is packed with that shotgun shell !! I doubt that I would ever have purchased one, but taking it on trade was a fair exchange. I plan to keep it for a while. Makes me think I might like to look at a Taurus Judge sometime.

lws380

Frontiersman
Mar 22, 2010
I agree with Millsriver, too big for carry other than OWB.

I had the hots for one a few years ago. I finally saw on at the nearest Cabela's and thought it was much bigger than I anticipated. After I saw one and held it, I lost the desire for one real quick. I thought that if it was that big i could carry another gun with more rounds.

Looking forward to what Mayo thinks after playing with one a little.

RICHGCOOP

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
CANTON, OHIO
Zip code
I didn't think it was that bad.
To me it would be a toy. or maybe 3rd or 4th backup got on me. LOL
RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

Slowhand

Support the right to self defense.
Jun 8, 2012
Irmo, SC
LeinadCobray45ACP-410DBL3.jpg

A friend of mine called up last week and said they had a Leinad Cobray 22/45 over and under for sale. I passed , I have a their Model DD 45-410. I took it to the range once and ran a half dozen 410 shell though it that was enough. I’ve passed on the .45 caliber rounds so far. They make great snake guns for boating.

DavisDerringer25ACPLft-1.jpg

I have a Davis Model D-25 that handles 25 ACP rounds rather well. I used to have a .32 caliber from the folks down in Miami that I packed around for quite a few years. Strictly a last ditch piece. I replaced it with a Ruger LCP.

They have several Bond Arms Derringers in .45 Colt/ 3" .410s at our local Shooters Choice. I’ve check them out several times and they’re well made and handle great. But I’ll pass. A friend of mine let a great looking used on pass a few years back that was going for $200.00. One of those “I should have…” things. You can’t touch one around here for under $400.00

I’ll pass on any 45 caliber pocket pistols, too much recoil, plus I rather have more than two rounds, just in case. It's a serious piece of work though. But as Rich wrote, either a toy or 3rd or 4th on as an as needed basis.

TRIGGER_1

Marksman
Mar 7, 2010
Athens, GA USA
There is just to many other good options out there in todays world..... :)

Back in the old old days....I would have carried one.... ;)

Its a great nostalgia item and I can see folks buying them... :p

mayonardo

What Would Paladin Do?
My interest now is based on a number of factors.

One - reliability and dependability. Cock the hammer. Pull the trigger and it shoots. Period. Can't say the same about semi-autos. Even revolvers can fail.

Two - .410 000 Buckshot at close range. Very bad news.

Three - with the buckshot loads, shooting an innocent bystander is much less likely than firing off three, four, five or more standard pistol rounds.

As to the negatives, well, heavy is a matter of opinion. Weighs less than an SR9c, unloaded. I carry a loaded SR9c frequently with little complaint.

Only two shots. True, but most civilian SD encounters don't require more, and it would be pretty easy to keep the old LCP in the back pocket if you don't have time to reload the derringer.

So, I am attracted by the size, firepower and reliability.

If I am heading into a bad area, I can always take the SR9c as a BUG.

Mayonardo
iPad & Tapatalk

mayonardo

What Would Paladin Do?
I think it is a disservice to call the Bond Arms pistols "toys". And I think most of the negative responses to them are based on misinformation. In fact, I am working toward the notion that the derringer, as Bond Arms makes them, may be a better option as a self defense carry gun in the circumstances in which I usually find myself.

They are toys. Just this last week, a man and his wife, sitting in their car on a city street in broad daylight, were approached by a man pointing a 1911 .45 at the driver and demanding their money. The driver pulled his Bond Arms from his driving holster and fired a single round of .410 000 buckshot into the would-be robber. The robber hit the street. A bystander kicked his pistol away and they waited for the police to arrive. The bad guy died. No one else was shot. Doesn't sound much like the Bond Arms is a toy you'd want to mess with.

They are too heavy. I think I covered that already, but they are heavy, in relation to previous derringers made by other companies, because of two factors: recoil absorption and quality construction.

The recoil is too heavy. Of course they will recoil, especially firing larger caliber rounds. However, most people who shoot them regularly don't consider the recoil any greater than with a larger caliber revolver. If the extended grip is attached, the recoil is even less. Recoil is also in the mind of the shooter.

I remember giving a female friend a try at shooting my little LCP. Two rounds was enough for her. It was too loud and the recoil was too much. I have also seen a young woman, probably standing about 5' 3" and weighing 110 pounds, shoot four different Bond Arms derringers for the first time. Worked up from .22 to .410/45 long colt. She hit the target every time and finished with a big grin. I don't think the recoil was too much for her. I used to quite happily fire my Smith .41 magnum and didn't think, for what I was shooting, the recoil was too much. I think it's mostly the shooter's attitude than actual physical forces being too much for them.

They only have a two shot capacity. This is a valid criticism, although it doesn't damn them to never be relied upon as a self-defense gun. Why? Because in the majority of instances, statistics show that most self defense situations that develop will end when the potential victim draws a gun. Any gun. The opportunistic criminals suddenly don't like the odds or notion of being shot, and quickly depart the area. When a gun must be used in those situations, one or two shots, especially if they are loud and devastating, are enough. For the small number of instances where more than two shots are fired, it is mainly because the shooters are bad shots and can't hit what they are shooting at. Your options then are to either reload - if the situation is such that you can do this effectively -, people are running away, you are behind cover, etc., or to resort to your backup gun.

This latter point brings up a serious point with me. When a lot of shots are flung about in a gun fight, the odds of an innocent person being shot, hurt or killed, goes way up. I will bet that the majority of us who carry handguns for self defense are not adequately trained and prepared to deal with a sudden life and death gunfight on the street to shoot quickly and accurately. Even well trained police don't have a good record for accuracy in these situations. Personally, being a old guy anyway, I would take a hit rather than take the chance of shooting an innocent person. I do not want that on my conscience. Period.

So, having only two shots, in my case, may indeed be an advantage for three reasons:
1. I will be more determined and careful to hit what I am aiming at, especially with the first shot.
2. I can carry and shoot devastatingly effective shotgun rounds - in this case, .410 000 buckshot, five large pellets.
3. I won't have to worry too much about accidentally shooting an innocent person.

Lastly, I would say that I would not at all be concerned with the gun not going off when I wanted it to. Except for faulty ammo, I believe a Bond Arms single-action pistol has never failed to fire.

I'm really open to discussion about these points. They sound good to me, but I welcome intelligent discussion of each. The idea being, to really dissect the Bond Arms derringers in terms of their use as compact carry guns.