The Bad Ol' Days

Faktory 47

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
Ok I am building a rifle before everything goes completely nuts. @freedom if I build a a2 upper with g.i. handguards will the poi stay with 4 moa when slung up tight in prone? Or will I need to install a free float tube?

If your sling tension is consistent and you slight in slung up, you won't notice much shift.

There is some deflection. How much I can't say. I've had 1moa but it was a middy 16". May be more with a 20" rifle.

Kobayashi

Frontiersman
Mar 25, 2015
Ola
During the last 'banic' I was mostly an observer. I had stocked up on ammo the previous summer/fall (pure luck that I decided to do that), and it certainly wasn't a time to buy anything. I remember buying a shotgun from a guy, and he related a story about his experience. He had agreed to buy a Colt AR from an ODT member (who shall remain nameless) and the Sandy Hook incident happened a few days before they had agreed to meet. It's easy to guess what happened next. The seller stopped answering messages, and he had the rifle listed for $2500 soon after.

***Edit***
Keeping things on topic - I have no idea what to expect on pricing in another panic. Though Clinton may win the election, I think it will remain too close to call until the end. I expect retailers to do their best to create a false panic over the next few months - lots of "get it while you can" marketing.

Last edited:

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
You can get a FF tube/ upper that looks GI from Rock River Arms, It's in all of there National Match rifles... But I'd warn against, slinging up too much. The sling should be snug, but not so tight, it's flexing the barrel out of place.
The RR NW free float tube has the sling swivel attached to it. You can crank down on it if you want. No deflection.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: freedom

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
Brother, I am a hell of a pistol shooter/ rested rifle shooter, and I got that way by listening to people who knew what in hell they were talking about, then put their practices into use. I am all ears for your suggestions, except the ones that deal with my sister or a drunk pig. That said, I truely appreciate your input.
What are you talking about?

@EugenFJR is referring to the NM hand guard like I have on my CMP rifle. You use hallowed out A2 handgaurds around the free float tube and the sling swivel is not attached to the FSB, it's on the free float tube. You can crank down on the sling without causing barrel deflection. Would be a solution to your worry about POI change while using a sling. Great option if you want to keep the A2 look.

Seems rude the way you responded to a good suggestion.

Down side is weight. That RR setup is HEAVY, so much in fact, that you need to add lead to the A2 stock cavity if you want to balance the rifle back out.

Below: RR NM free float setup vs a standard A2 FSB/end cap

Standard A2 FSB with end cap
image.jpeg

RR NM free float setup (note you either need to use a pre-ground off sling swivel FSB, or file yours off like mine is an cold blue it) if you want the A2 FSB that is...
image.jpeg

Note how similar it looks to a tradition A2 upper
image.jpeg

Reactions: freedom

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
You can get a FF tube/ upper that looks GI from Rock River Arms, It's in all of there National Match rifles... But I'd warn against, slinging up too much. The sling should be snug, but not so tight, it's flexing the barrel out of place.

The CMP shooters I know run this or a similar set up. If you want the look but don't care about it being "right", this is a good option.

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
There's a downside to reading and responding in order sometimes. @Wallace and @EugenFJR know what they're talking about. I was going to build one like it before CMP changed the rules.
If you are referring to the fact you can use up to 4.5x optics, that does take away some of the fun IMHO. Doesn't mean you can't compete with irons though. I don't shoot to win anyways, I shoot to better myself from the previous session. If I place better, great. As long as you are doing better than you were the last time, I consider that a win.

freedom

Sniper
Mar 25, 2015
Covington, Ga
Zip code
If you are referring to the fact you can use up to 4.5x optics, that does take away some of the fun IMHO. Doesn't mean you can't compete with irons though. I don't shoot to win anyways, I shoot to better myself from the previous session. If I place better, great. As long as you are doing better than you were the last time, I consider that a win.

I believe regular free float rails are legal also. image.jpeg I was under the impression that this is now legal once the handstop is removed.

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
I believe regular free float rails are legal also. View attachment 18183 I was under the impression that this is now legal once the handstop is removed.
Yeah, that is a bummer too.

In reality though. Most "service rifle" matches allow some bending if the rules to get more turnout. Rare to find large groups with strict rule enforcement.

My first match, people were allowed to use optics and rails as well many years ago. If not, there would have just been 4 of us...lol

That said, 3 of the iron sight shooters still placed better than the optic guys. Goes to show that you still have to have good fundamentals to score well.

I do hate that it's been diluted down to this, but if it's the only way to keep the program's going with good turnouts, then it is what it is. I would rather see this than letting it dissolve away as less and less get involved. I mean an entry style CMP setup going the old rule route would cost around $1,000-$1,200 to build correctly. Then you have a non tacticool rifle. Not attractive to many folks these days.

Liberty

nitrocellulose dispenser
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2015
Ga
Zip code
What are you talking about?

@EugenFJR is referring to the NM hand guard like I have on my CMP rifle. You use hallowed out A2 handgaurds around the free float tube and the sling swivel is not attached to the FSB, it's on the free float tube. You can crank down on the sling without causing barrel deflection. Would be a solution to your worry about POI change while using a sling. Great option if you want to keep the A2 look.

Seems rude the way you responded to a good suggestion.

Down side is weight. That RR setup is HEAVY, so much in fact, that you need to add lead to the A2 stock cavity if you want to balance the rifle back out.

Below: RR NM free float setup vs a standard A2 FSB/end cap

Standard A2 FSB with end cap
View attachment 18178

RR NM free float setup (note you either need to use a pre-ground off sling swivel FSB, or file yours off like mine is an cold blue it) if you want the A2 FSB that is...
View attachment 18179

Note how similar it looks to a tradition A2 upper
View attachment 18180

Not rude at all, I was stating that learning from others is how I became an accomplished pistol shooter, and jokingly stayed that I am open to and appreciate all non absurd suggetions. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. Most likely I will build it myself as the rule changes make that possible. Thank you for chiming in to give my build some direction.

Wallace

Tracker
Trusted Trader
Mar 26, 2015
Cartersville
Zip code
Not rude at all, I was stating that learning from others is how I became an accomplished pistol shooter, and jokingly stayed that I am open to and appreciate all non absurd suggetions. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. Most likely I will build it myself as the rule changes make that possible. Thank you for chiming in to give my build some direction.
The way you originally worded was a tad abrasive. I see you amended the post.

Liberty

nitrocellulose dispenser
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2015
Ga
Zip code
The way you originally worded was a tad abrasive. I see you amended the post.

Posting after ambien and before bed. Yeah I reread it, and it is a little crude. Once again thanks for the replies.

Got a deal lined up for a Brazilian Mauser Friday still wearing the full stock, so I spy some cool stripped lowers on the southside a report will be provided.

Reactions: Wallace

EugenFJR

An anchor on a ship of fools.
Kalash Klub
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 3, 2015
Your mom's house
Zip code
Posting after ambien and before bed. Yeah I reread it, and it is a little crude. Once again thanks for the replies.

Got a deal lined up for a Brazilian Mauser Friday still wearing the full stock, so I spy some cool stripped lowers on the southside a report will be provided.

No worries... Post a picture of the Mauser, when you get a chance... I think I'll be looking to fill my gun case w/ WWII rifles come November. But I would like to build at least 1 more AR, I'm thinking a M16A4 clone... But I have to get a Bob Jones sight that will let me use my glasses AND let me see the front sight post clearly... Good God, I hate getting old.

Reactions: Liberty

Liberty

nitrocellulose dispenser
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2015
Ga
Zip code
No worries... Post a picture of the Mauser, when you get a chance... I think I'll be looking to fill my gun case w/ WWII rifles come November. But I would like to build at least 1 more AR, I'm thinking a M16A4 clone... But I have to get a Bob Jones sight that will let me use my glasses AND let me see the front sight post clearly... Good God, I hate getting old.

Getting old sucks, but it beats the only known alternative.

Reactions: Strider12

Liberty

nitrocellulose dispenser
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2015
Ga
Zip code
AR Bunker in Newnan has a selection of Spikes Lowes at $99, and Anderson for $65.

Liberty

nitrocellulose dispenser
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2015
Ga
Zip code
Bubba has struck again, at least the stock went unmolested. Pre Ww2 and German made. Why bubba why? Oh well it was cheap to me. 0807161930.jpg 0807161929a.jpg 0807161928.jpg

0807161928b.jpg